Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004

Panzeh posted:

I would've loved to see the Vlade Divac story myself.

Maybe they will make a spin off called Flopping Time: The Vlade Divac story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Panzeh posted:

Honestly, if Buss was a side character and McKay had any sense of economy in storytelling, I think he could've gotten the whole dynasty done in 12 episodes, and it would absolutely be better than what we got. I'm just not that interested in the Buss drama, it feels like trying to foreshadow a twist but it's not a twist.

I would've loved to see the Vlade Divac story myself.

In hindsight I think three seasons would have been the right amount — rise, reign, and fall. Season 2 should have been way more about the Showtime Lakers as a symbol of 80s excess.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Now starting to feel a little gutted that we never got 1992 Dream Team, the HIV diagnosis and Magic's final season. I think they would have done great with all three.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

The Buss scenes stopped all momentum in every episode. I ended up skipping through those scenes because it’s just not interesting. Shame it’s cancelled though. :(

One thing this show did was make me watch more classic Lakers/Boston games on nba league pass. Hard to imagine a time where fans stormed the court and players had to fight their way out lmao

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

toggle posted:

The Buss scenes stopped all momentum in every episode. I ended up skipping through those scenes because it’s just not interesting. Shame it’s cancelled though. :(

One thing this show did was make me watch more classic Lakers/Boston games on nba league pass. Hard to imagine a time where fans stormed the court and players had to fight their way out lmao

I find it hilarious that the trade for Mitch Kupchak gets lots of screentime but not the one for Bob McAdoo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Honey stuff being all made up (or just extremely loosely based on reality) made its inclusion just pointless.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I really am legit bummed about this show ending. I feel like they had it arced out and having it end when they clearly planned a good payoff next season was just miserable. One of the most arbitrary and sudden endings I've seen.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

muscles like this! posted:

The Honey stuff being all made up (or just extremely loosely based on reality) made its inclusion just pointless.

I think it mostly has to do with the production staff just not being interested in basketball- like actually going into what happened during the series, which was imo the best part of the season. So, they write some stuff for the Busses, because that, and Magic drama is way more in their wheelhouse. But I don't think you can do this show if basketball is of little interest to you in any kind of detail. Not for more than a season, especially.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It was probably a mistake to have Buss the main character instead of Johnson who has way more in the story to do, but I also don't know if I would have watched originally without JCR featured so prominently in the marketing.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
This show needed at least one more season. The ending felt so anticlimactic and this show deserved better.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I don’t remember Claire Rothman getting a spot in the montage. That would be a shame, she was a cool character.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God, I’m gonna miss this show. The cancellation makes a lot of sense - show’s gotta be expensive and I imagine they were expecting it to be an awards behemoth and then it got literally one Emmy nom, hugely flawed with massive pacing issues (I wonder if they got the episode order cut after they wrote the scripts spending so long on Westhead?) - but when it was on it was just so loving FUN and wildly entertaining, with many of the cast giving their best performances ever or close to it. I really wish more was coming.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I really think the lack of promotion for season 2 (due to execs loving over writers and actors) killed any chance they had at a renewal.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Claire was by far the most interesting front office character and Gabby Hoffman did a tremendous job with her, it really sucked that she was relegated to a mere handful of scenes in S2.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Also having Jay Mohr, who is IRL married to Jeannie Buss, show up as Kareem's agent was a bit of a shark jump moment for me.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Laterite posted:

Also having Jay Mohr, who is IRL married to Jeannie Buss, show up as Kareem's agent was a bit of a shark jump moment for me.

Yeah, that was unnecessary. He doesn’t look well and his neck has disappeared ?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Yeah I like Jay a lot but he’s aged like milk in the sun.

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
Saw the finale before I saw that the show was cancelled so that explains the poochie ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Adrianics posted:

Now starting to feel a little gutted that we never got 1992 Dream Team, the HIV diagnosis and Magic's final season. I think they would have done great with all three.

Honestly that's what I was most looking forward to, the lead up to that, the loss against the Bulls in 91, and the Dream Team.

Seriously wish Apple would pick it up at this point. Feels like HBO is just giving up on quality content since Zaslav took over.