Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think it would've been more interesting to be a series about the NBA of the 80s rather than a biopic of Jerry Buss and Magic Johnson, there's just not enough gas in this particular tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah, i feel like Buss and Magic are the least interesting characters in the show right now but they get almost all the screentime and script.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Doesn't surprise me that much, given how much production is in this one. And honestly, they didn't have two seasons of material unless they were going to go into new characters, possibly, y'know, not Lakers, but all we got was a little bit of Larry Bird.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly, if Buss was a side character and McKay had any sense of economy in storytelling, I think he could've gotten the whole dynasty done in 12 episodes, and it would absolutely be better than what we got. I'm just not that interested in the Buss drama, it feels like trying to foreshadow a twist but it's not a twist.

I would've loved to see the Vlade Divac story myself.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

toggle posted:

The Buss scenes stopped all momentum in every episode. I ended up skipping through those scenes because it’s just not interesting. Shame it’s cancelled though. :(

One thing this show did was make me watch more classic Lakers/Boston games on nba league pass. Hard to imagine a time where fans stormed the court and players had to fight their way out lmao

I find it hilarious that the trade for Mitch Kupchak gets lots of screentime but not the one for Bob McAdoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

muscles like this! posted:

The Honey stuff being all made up (or just extremely loosely based on reality) made its inclusion just pointless.

I think it mostly has to do with the production staff just not being interested in basketball- like actually going into what happened during the series, which was imo the best part of the season. So, they write some stuff for the Busses, because that, and Magic drama is way more in their wheelhouse. But I don't think you can do this show if basketball is of little interest to you in any kind of detail. Not for more than a season, especially.