Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Based on the book Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley, and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty of the 1980s by Jeff Pearlman (found here) and exec produced by Adam Mckay after a split from Will Ferrell based on casting the Larry Bus, it chronicles the 1980s Showtime era of the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team, featuring notable NBA stars Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Here's a funny bit from the wiki:

On April 20, 2014, Ice Age 2-screenwriter Jim Hecht flew across the country to the home of sportswriter Jeff Pearlman. He pitched an adaptation of Pearlman's best-seller Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty that would be similar to Friday Night Lights. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Hecht brought Pearlman a bottle of nonalcoholic wine, a block of chocolate, and a tomato as an offering to convince Pearlman to sell him the rights to the book. "I had no money, so if he'd been like, '$30,000,' I would've been screwed," Hecht recalled. Pearlman, who had optioned several of his books where "nothing ever happened", agreed to let Hecht shop his book around town for a year. In 2015, producer Kevin Messick convinced Adam McKay to direct the pilot and produce.[36]

As a non-basketball fan, Winning Time has been the surprise hit of the year so far. Funny, biting, dramatic and hilarious, it places you rooting for certifiable underdogs near collapsing under debt and expectations. The feel bad for a billionaire show of the season.

Winning Time has just been renewed for a second season, so it's time to start a thread on this great show, and see if they actually score a win on their season finale. I'll stop now.

Gif time!

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

That episode brought back some memories of going to the Garden. It did a great job capturing the feel of the city and its people.

lol, love how it crystalizes my feeling towards Boston.

Jason Clarke is loving amazing in this. I didn't know he could do comedy.

Is Larry Bird really that much of an rear end in a top hat?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ultrabindu posted:

I don't know much about basketball in the 80s, should I read the book for extra context or can I go straight in to watching the show?

I know absolutely nothing and I'm having a ball with it. They tell you everything you need, anything else is just icing

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

algebra testes posted:

I think the problem is Buss and Magic need to be our protagonists and thus Westhead needs to be a sort of antagonist in order for him to get fired and it not being the machinations of a prima donna star and a meddling owner.

The thing I like about the show is that no one really is the antagonist (other than the Celtics).

Everyone is painted in shades of gray.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Theres alot of good acting on this show but the guy playing Kareem might be my favorite acting I've seen all year, in any medium