Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I love the hell out if this show and I can’t stand the goddamn Lakers. But it was perfectly cast; especially Dr. Steve Brule as Dr. Jerry Buss and Jason Clarke as Jerry West.

Last night’s episode was great. Jack McKinney shouting “gently caress my diiiiick!” after coming out of the coma. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I can totally envision Jerry West losing his goddamn mind at a radio broadcast of a basketball game in the back of a limo.

That man hates the Celtics.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 18, 2022

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Larry had a bit of a professional feud with Magic up until the mid 80’s when they got to know each other better (and became friends) while filming a commercial for Converse (which depicted them as bitter enemies).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmkwzqG4How

When Bird retired, Magic showed up at Bird’s retirement press conference and described him in glowing terms, and when Magic was inducted into the HOF, Bird was the guy who formally inducted him.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Also, Magic deciding to take 100,000 bucks a year from Converse instead of Phil Knight’s Nike offer ($100,000 in stock options and $1 for each shoe sold) cost Magic $5,200,000,000.

Magic, to this day, says he gets angry when he sees Nike stores at malls because it reminds him of that deal.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Oh I know all about Larry Bird. I grew up going to Bad Boys Pistons games, which is easily the greatest sports heel faction of alltime. Bill Laimbeer could've easily been the third man at Bash at the Beach instead of Hogan.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I don’t recall Spencer Haywood contracting his drug dealer to put a hit out on the Los Angeles Lakers.

Like, at all.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I know how Jerry West felt.

I attended Game 4 of the 1997 Stanley Cup Finals, when the Red Wings were going for their first ring since 1955. I couldn’t even sit in my chair during intermissions. I walked the concourse up and down with a sick nervousness in my stomach. They won that game 2-1 and the whole fuckin’ place erupted. I’ve never seen such jubilation up to that point in my life. But until the game was over, I felt like I wanted to puke. I think it was exacerbated because I was there, as opposed to watching it on TV.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Pat Riley on the Lakers in the 70’s:

https://twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1527746003570393089

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I’m pissed we’re not gonna get any more of Famed Basketball Psychopath™ Larry Bird.