Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The premiere sucked but once McKay was not in the director’s chair the most annoying tendencies were toned down a bit. Now it’s highly entertaining if not exactly great. It’s crazy how many good actors keep popping in.

Also the West portrayal as an intense control freak just seems par for the course for pro sports coaches. I agree that Chick Hearn comes off as the biggest rear end in a top hat relative to his reputation as a beloved icon.

Pat Riley and Spencer Haywood should be upset that their 30-something selves are being played by 50-year-old.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Why do they keep having 50+ actors portraying NBA players? Dr. J looks like he should be playing at the Y. He was 30!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This show opened with Magic announcing he’s HIV positive and has otherwise only covered one season. McKay wants to do the whole Showtime era.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TheBizzness posted:

Is there something about the Magic portrayal that doesn’t seem accurate? I haven’t read extensively on him or anything but “extremely extroverted horn dog” would be in line with my perception of him.

Based on his Twitter his lines should be more like "I had 17 points and 11 assists to go with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's 29 points and 12 rebounds leading to our win against the Boston Celtics!"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Dr. J cradle dunk was on Michael Cooper in real life.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I love JCR but something about him in this role just doesn't work for me. I'm really curious how Ferrell would've approached it since he is an LA sports guy and it was apparently his dream role.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Does anyone know if ROTY voting was really that lopsided? I suppose even if it wasn't, Riley could just make it up for motivation.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I didn’t realize they were that bad in 78-79. There are three other Hall of Famers on that team but I guess they were all past their prime.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

They've optioned that too, so I hope it eventually gets made. I think one stumbling block is that I don't think you can make it without presenting Kobe in a pretty negative light at least some of the time, which is obviously uncomfortable to a lot of people after his death, but maybe by the time they finish up with the Magic years people will have calmed down.

Yeah it's one thing for Jerry West and Kareem to get mad but Kobe isn't around to defend himself and his fans are loving deranged so it would turn into a whole thing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
As a Detroit fan I would love if multiple generations of the Lakers are shown getting their asses beat by the Pistons.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Kobe was a charismatic and handsome guy who captured national attention as early as high school (he famously took Brandy to his senior prom). Shaq obviously is a larger than life figure and arguably the second most famous basketball player who ever lived, but it was really only after the rape case and dissolution of the dynasty that Kobe became known as an off-putting or abrasive figure. And he was still insanely popular as he embraced the Michael Jordan basketball psycho persona.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Kobe in reality is like top 20, Shaq probably top 10.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

Julius Erving is played like a legend when he had never won a NBA title before (just two ABA titles, in a league considered a step below the NBA in talent, especially near the end)

It’s bizarre that they cast a 50-year-old to play him like he was from Oscar Robertson’s generation or something, but I think he was already a superstar when he arrived in the NBA, at least among Black fans. Look at this crowd turning out to see him play street ball.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He got named to the top 50 all time players after two years in the league! Truly insane to think of someone being that dominant so early.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Buss scenes still bother me in this show. Everyone gets hokey expository dialogue all the time but for some reason it feels way more egregious whenever he talks. Which is weird because Reilly is one of our finest actors.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

escape artist posted:

What have people thought of it? I remember being disappointed to find out they were going to make it, because it didn't seem necessary at all.

It hasn't been great but that's a really weird take. It's a show about the 1980s Lakers glory days that opens with Magic announcing his HIV diagnosis in the early 90s. Why would they only make it about the 1980 season?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Adrianics posted:

gently caress me, and (unless I looked away or something) not even a "six months later" caption on the screen? Just slamming straight to Buss' wedding to that lady we know nothing about

They say out loud that they’ve lost 10 of their last 20 when Riley gives his locker room speech, and then they show their record climbing on screen over highlights of the season. Of all the many criticisms of this show it’s hard to say it’s not expository enough.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The guy who wrote the book has been posting like this every week, which is...concerning
https://twitter.com/jeffpearlman/status/1699615214361342052?t=Q78Oo5_iiOLeRriy54-B8w&s=19

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They're about to play that Sixers team in the next episode. Excited to see the obviously 50-something actor playing late prime Dr. J again.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think it's less fear of nonrenewal and more being forced to deal with a 7 episode order while maintaining their planned timeline.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
drat I wanted to see what they did for Bill Laimbeer.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Gemstones got renewed. They just shot a season finale that can work for a series in case they needed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

I don't think the Bad Boys were going to be there in season 3. If you ended in 84, you then have 85-86-87 which has 2 of 3 LAK/BOS finals.

Sure, but you would have to get to them eventually since this is about the eventual fall of the dynasty.