Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LMAO, what was with having Julius Erving wearing a Sherlock Holmes deerstalker-type hat? Was this really a thing?

I am also struck by just how much Jason Clarke resembles Jerry West, something I’d not thought about before this show

e: the actors/players they found for Magic and Kareem are great likenesses too.

This has been renewed for a second season, and I wonder if they are going to continue with the Magic-era Lakers, or jump up in to the Shaq-Kobe era, which Showtime author Jeff Pearlman wrote a different book about.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

nooneofconsequence posted:

In real life the Lakers already played Boston that season at home before the road trip and Magic scored 23 in a rout. In Boston he only had 1 point.

Yeah, after I watched that episode I went and looked up game logs from that season. Alterations made to characters, and moving things up and back in the timeline for dramatic effect, are things I expect with docudrama type shows.

But for some reason I was really surprised to see that they are even changing the historical record of how the season played out. I couldn’t find the game where they got blown out by a bad Pistons team, either.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The Wood Harris performance when Spense is talking to Cap about growing up in Mississippi was drat near an Emmy moment

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Did Cooper actually get knocked unconscious in game six?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

Does anyone know if ROTY voting was really that lopsided? I suppose even if it wasn't, Riley could just make it up for motivation.

I looked it up because I thought they made it up, but no, it was really 63-3

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jeff Pearlman's book I believe does go all the way through the era, and ends with Magic's HIV diagnosis. We know there will be a season two of this show, so it will be interesting to see how much time this next one covers. Surely it won't just be about the 1980-1981 season.

Thinking about how long you can realistically keep people interested in a show like this, what would make sense to me is if you could get HBO on board with two more seasons. Then you make the next one run up through the Lakers-Sixers finals in the Moses Malone era and the epic Celtics-Lakers finals of the mid-late 80s, followed by a last season showing the decline of the team and the rise of the Bad Boys. Maybe?

Then of course, Pearlman also wrote another book called Three-Ring Circus, about the Shaq-Kobe years. But this type of serialized sports historical drama would likely have run its course by then.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Man, I love the guys they have playing Magic and Kareem.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Adrianics posted:

I will say that I loved the playoff montage done via the passes on the court

That was really cool.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

algebra testes posted:

*Jerry West voice*

LOL, I heard it in the exact same voice, before I scrolled down and saw your post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ghosthotel posted:

I sorta understand why they did it but that “and they went on to do this” ending slideshow was such a loving tonal whiplash that I would’ve preferred if the series just ended on a downer even with the knowledge that it’s been cancelled. What a poo poo show lol

I just got around to watching that last episode. Man, you aren’t kidding about the whiplash.

I don’t know how much legs the show had left in it for future seasons, but man that tacked-on montage is awful.