Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

baalaagaa posted:

Yeah he was a notorious trash talking rear end in a top hat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kq53Shq1js

yea I think for a lot of people it was a 'he does this to everyone, that's fine, I'm gonna get pissed in the moment but the game's partially mental and he's playing the game that way' thing, I'm pretty sure Magic himself has said things to that effect, but yea he's a famous absolute monster at trash talking/mind game stunts who absolutely pushed any button he knew would get a reaction. The video does a good job describing one of his favorite moves, which is to look a dude in the eye, say 'I'm gonna shoot this shot right in your face', sink it, and go 'told ya so'. Just absolutely crushing poo poo to do to a grown man on national TV.

Basically when it comes to dramatized shows like this it boils down to:

nooneofconsequence posted:

At this point you shouldn't believe any of the portrayals are remotely real. Except for Larry Bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Henchman of Santa posted:

I love JCR but something about him in this role just doesn't work for me. I'm really curious how Ferrell would've approached it since he is an LA sports guy and it was apparently his dream role.

I don't think Farrell could pull off Buss' 'genuinely really dumb and broken guy trying to keep going on pure passion and showmanship' vibe honestly. His characters like that are much more...wholesome, JCR's the dude who brings the actual 'oh there's just nothing behind your eyes is there' vibe vs 'well meaning idiot'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bawfuls posted:

What? Buss isn't supposed to be genuinely dumb. He did complete a chemistry PhD before he was 25 I think he was reasonably intelligent. I haven't gotten that vibe from the show either.

he has no clue what he's doing at basically every stage of this and is just riding 'I've got a lot of money (on paper)', he can be smart on one thing and dumb in another.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I think he gets punished for not being as good as he could have been. IMO he was clearly a better player than Kobe (who was himself phenomenal), but as Kobe himself said, Shaq with Kobe's work ethic would have been on another level entirely. I think Shaq bouncing around on different teams toward the end of his career probably didn't help his legacy either, especially in combination with the out of shape and injury prone thing, which maybe took the shine off the years of dominance. On the other hand, Kobe stayed with the Lakers his whole career, and even after he was past his prime, he was still talked up constantly by a media ecosystem that loves talking about the Lakers.

Having a massive and exploitable hole in his game when it came to free throws doesn't help either, and some of the excuses about big men not being able to shoot becuase of mechanics look a bit sillier in hindsight.

yea it feels like people take 'he could have been better' as some great failing but really aside from his freethrow game being weak he was objectively easily among the best big men the game has had. He had a rougher career, especially at the end, but he was absolutely a top level guy.