Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Gonz posted:

I can totally envision Jerry West losing his goddamn mind at a radio broadcast of a basketball game in the back of a limo.

That man hates the Celtics.

That episode brought back some memories of going to the Garden. It did a great job capturing the feel of the city and its people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Shageletic posted:

lol, love how it crystalizes my feeling towards Boston.

Jason Clarke is loving amazing in this. I didn't know he could do comedy.

Is Larry Bird really that much of an rear end in a top hat?

Yeah Clarke is really good and just disappears into the character.

As for Larry? I don't know. I'm not too familiar with him. From what I've seen in documentaries he was a 'normal' dude who mowed his own lawn and poo poo. There was definitely a rivalry between them but eventually they became good friends with Magic. Maybe that's something they'll get into eventually.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

ultrabindu posted:

I don't know much about basketball in the 80s, should I read the book for extra context or can I go straight in to watching the show?

The show tells you what you need to know. You could check out the book in addition to the Celtics/Lakers 30 for 30.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rise from your grave, thread.

New episode dropped tonight. Good poo poo as always.

Larry Bird at the end of the episode was loving perfect.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It's wild watching Adrian Brody acting circles around Jason Segal.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Thematically appropriate as Pat Riley was the better coach

When he's doing his coach thing in front of the players, he's fine. He's supposed to come off as a weird dude sorta out of his element, but when you need some drama stuff, it's like night and day.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

While there have been a lot of pacing issues this season, I still very much enjoy the show and this was a great episode. Jason Clarke is also giving one of his best performances here.

Between this and Oppenheimer he's had a hell of a year.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

What the show really needs is more Larry Bird. The next season needs to be a redux of seasons 1 and 2 but everything is from the POV of Bird and Auerbach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That loving sucks. Some really great performances. Reilly is doing his thing. Chiklis, Quincy Isaiah, Hughes killing it too. Brody and Clarke (who has quickly become one of my favorite current character actors) are so good in it.