Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I really want this show to get to the point where the Showtime Lakers get dethroned by the ultimate villain. Magic Johnson's then best friend (to the point they always kissed on court until they became an actual angry rivalry) Isaiah Thomas and the Detroit Pistons. They also better do ultimate villain Bill Laimbeer's phantom foul on Kareem that messed up the Piston's threepeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

They've optioned that too, so I hope it eventually gets made. I think one stumbling block is that I don't think you can make it without presenting Kobe in a pretty negative light at least some of the time, which is obviously uncomfortable to a lot of people after his death, but maybe by the time they finish up with the Magic years people will have calmed down.

In line with my other post, both eras *kind* of end with unliked Pistons teams destroying those Laker teams (they got another run 4 years after being beaten in the second era, though). I have been here so long I forgot I retired my old account and named myself Darko for calling 2004 Pistons at the beginning of that year, haha.

But yeah, you have to figure out how to handle Kobe's rape case as well, so that era can get rather iffy. It would be worth it to see who played Shaq, though, and Shaq's inevitable comments on it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Kobe was a charismatic and handsome guy who captured national attention as early as high school (he famously took Brandy to his senior prom). Shaq obviously is a larger than life figure and arguably the second most famous basketball player who ever lived, but it was really only after the rape case and dissolution of the dynasty that Kobe became known as an off-putting or abrasive figure. And he was still insanely popular as he embraced the Michael Jordan basketball psycho persona.
Basketball circles and rankings still put Kobe top 5 and Shaq....not. I disagree due to Shaqs pure dominance being more important than Kobes skill, so it will be super interesting to see how this is portrayed in general if it keeps getting renewed to get that far.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

escape artist posted:

Thank goodness, I didn't know this thread existed.

My dad is really sick with cancer, and he's probably only got a few more months. So we bond a lot over TV shows, since he can't do much else. We both loving loved this and binged the poo poo out of it.

My dad played for MSU the year before Magic came there and went crazy over that team. I can't imagine how much he would have been into this show. Enjoy your luck for the experience.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Isaiah Thomas spotting in this episode makes me excited about how the Pistons would be portrayed on the show.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I think the show is in a weird spot in their history, where we had to deal with them losing, but not making it a huge deal because there's really no drama in it when we know they win the next year. They can't milk "they need to win" like they did in Season 1. So we are currently stuck in the period where we have to wait for them to get on top again so we get to the real back and forth between Bird and Magic and then the more interesting play with their decline to the Pistons (who ended both Showtime eras) and then Jordan taking Magic's spotlight.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

escape artist posted:

Ugh. Just came to check out people's opinions on season 2...

What have people thought of it? I remember being disappointed to find out they were going to make it, because it didn't seem necessary at all.

The show started with him realizing he had HIV and seeing (actual) Jordan take his spot, so the show was always going to be his rise to ridiculous fame and making basketball what it is, and his fall and realizing that he would be overtaken as the greatest. It was always going to get to the 90s from inception, really.

As my post above you says, the performances are good but the show is at a really weird spot in the history where they are trying to get most drama out of the shift to Riley, which is getting good performances, but having to try a bit too hard in some characters at the moment.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Adrianics posted:

This episode just reinforced that the show's at its strongest when it's focusing on the team itself; I couldn't give less of a poo poo about Buss' private life or his relationship with his family, and barely care about his role within the organisation.

Clarke and Brody are both smashing it and I think the story should really revolve around them; I did think the Westhead firing scene was great, with Reilly and Segel doing some of the best acting they've done on the series.

Admittedly I've been struggling to keep on top of the timeframe over the last few episodes but it seemed to propel forward to the ECF with no kind of indication.

Yeah, the show rushed through the playoff loss season because Magic's injury made him kind of a non factor, and not that much drama was going on, and used the last episode to speedrun through their next championship appearance.

Puts next season at 1982 with James Worthy and Dr J's return.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Adrianics posted:

Just kind of a weird choice dramatically speaking; very odd to launch straight from Reilly finding his mojo as a coach (his struggles to find his voice relegated to a single scene) to oh I guess now the team is in the NBA Finals and it's several months later? I wasn't sure what the month was when Westhead was fired but got the impression it was relatively early in the season

You'll be happy to know it was 3 weeks into the season, and they truncated the whole season after, haha.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

They're about to play that Sixers team in the next episode. Excited to see the obviously 50-something actor playing late prime Dr. J again.

They all looked 50 back then.

Next season/NBA year is what really makes Dr J really huge.

Darko fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 7, 2023

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

drat I wanted to see what they did for Bill Laimbeer.

Same. And reactions to Magic always kissing Thomas on the lips from that era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

I don't think the Bad Boys were going to be there in season 3. If you ended in 84, you then have 85-86-87 which has 2 of 3 LAK/BOS finals.

Magics best friendship with Isaiah should probably pop up a season earlier than when's he eventually plays him in the Finals and beats him, and then when he loses Kareem in the Finals and loses to them. Plus they and the Celtics are fighting for the East and meet in 87 where Bird gets that ridiculous steal to beat them.

I was looking forward to that too, but I have an obvious bias since my username change was based on making fun of their draft pick.