Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
last week i was on vacation from job number 1. i used that time to start working at job number 2. this monday i will officially be ~*overemployed*~.

any other overemployed yosposters out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
:chloe:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ve never had the balls to use my annual leave to work another job

I have been working 6 days a week tho and recently did 13 in a row

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
that's awesome, good job and good luck

i hope this sort of thing becomes way more normalized. i'm expected to be on-call and available (and am otherwise 'exempt') so... i fail to see why i shouldn't just have as many jobs as i can reasonably perform while meeting minimum expectations

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

psiox posted:

that's awesome, good job and good luck

thanks

quote:

i hope this sort of thing becomes way more normalized. i'm expected to be on-call and available (and am otherwise 'exempt') so... i fail to see why i shouldn't just have as many jobs as i can reasonably perform while meeting minimum expectations

that's basically how i feel about it. if i can meet the requirements of both jobs, why the hell not? best case, i make two bags at once. worst case, i resign from the job i like less

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

DaTroof posted:

last week i was on vacation from job number 1. i used that time to start working at job number 2. this monday i will officially be ~*overemployed*~.

any other overemployed yosposters out there?

i took a day off work in december so i could make $75 doing voice acting for a video game. does that count, op?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I have one job but only do like 30% of a job

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

fart simpson posted:

i took a day off work in december so i could make $75 doing voice acting for a video game. does that count, op?

can't knock the hustle

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

The Management posted:

I have one job but only do like 30% of a job

so you could have 3 jobs and still be a slacker. reach for them stars, bro

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i mean it sounds like a decent way to be actually challenged/engaged

is there any legal reason for thinking that being overemployed could be risky? could it make taxes weird?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
suppose it’s a matter of time before wfh contracts start to include clauses to prevent things like this ?

l

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

psiox posted:

i mean it sounds like a decent way to be actually challenged/engaged

is there any legal reason for thinking that being overemployed could be risky? could it make taxes weird?

if you hate doing your taxes, having to file two w-2s will make you hate it twice as much. the taxes you wind up owing might be higher than you expect, depending on your withholdings

from a legal standpoint, there's nothing criminal about being overemployed, but civil liabilities are a vague possibility. one major concern is having a conflict of interest, ie, working for two companies that directly compete with each other. in my case, the companies are in distinctly different industries. even if one of them found out what i'm doing and got pissy, they couldn't do much about it beyond firing me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

suppose it’s a matter of time before wfh contracts start to include clauses to prevent things like this ?

there's a clause in our employment rules that say we gotta tell the cfo and legal if we have another job that we actually get an annual income statement from. lol i had to do it with my twitch stream. (they were like "yea sure thats fine just dont do it during work hours")

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I have a job.

I also have about 400 acres of useless land to maintain.

although, 300 of the productive land is leased so it’s money for jam, baby.

so I guess that maintenance work could be construed as additional employment.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

l

any half-competent salaried contract includes a stipulation that you basically can’t work anywhere else at the same time (moonlighting clause). when they find out you do they will fire you. if they’re very angry they will also sue you to claw back some of your wages.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s a bit rude imo

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I’ve been really overworked at my one job for a bit

does that count? :ohdear:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
A long long time ago we had somebody show up for 4 weeks, not do a thing, then completely disappear. Turns out they were just forced to take vacation time at a job, so they got another job and spent their vacation time in an office building in suburban Cleveland.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

lmao that owns

reminds me of the story of the guy that outsourced his own job to somebody in china and nobody noticed until they started asking questions about why there was so much vpn access from foreign ip’s

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

tk posted:

A long long time ago we had somebody show up for 4 weeks, not do a thing, then completely disappear. Turns out they were just forced to take vacation time at a job, so they got another job and spent their vacation time in an office building in suburban Cleveland.

a good suburb or like those big boring towers off 77 in independence

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

a good suburb or like those big boring towers off 77 in independence

excuse me thats Duke Realty

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
theres a dope pizza joint in independence tho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I’ve been really overworked at my one job for a bit

does that count? :ohdear:

I feel ya

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

yo if anyone could hook me up so i get paid for like three jobs but i have to do none of the work, and i also don't interview or ever talk to anyone, just a couple of sinecures to sling my way, i'd be very grateful. just a couple of sinnies, cheers

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
fart

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i remember a mid 2000s thread from a goon who did literally nothing at his job ever for years on end, i think he was officially like a "safety officer" and the one thing he ever did was replace a fire extinguisher, the rest of the time he just played videogames

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'd be overemployed if i did either job properly.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i remember a mid 2000s thread from a goon who did literally nothing at his job ever for years on end, i think he was officially like a "safety officer" and the one thing he ever did was replace a fire extinguisher, the rest of the time he just played videogames

https://sites.google.com/site/forgottenemployee/ !

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there was an old story from the first dot com bubble about a guy who had a job at some huge stupid company like aol and had a different job across the street and he pulled it off for like 6 months

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

chaosbreather posted:

yo if anyone could hook me up so i get paid for like three jobs but i have to do none of the work, and i also don't interview or ever talk to anyone, just a couple of sinecures to sling my way, i'd be very grateful. just a couple of sinnies, cheers

a deece six sinnies

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
stealing from corporations is praxis, but the worst kind

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

thank u

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i dont even like having 1 job op

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I can’t believe how employed I am

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Truman Peyote posted:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
while I disagree with the OPs solution, i think we agree on something: one is the wrong number of jobs to have.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

That story still sticks with me, decades later.

I'm also currently over-employed. Unfortunately, my employer was the one who figured out how to make that happen. I'm in our consulting branch now, and we used to do a lot of client site visits before COVID. Now, since it's all WFH, they've realized that they can sell part-time (20hour/week) contracts and have us work for multiple clients at once. Theoretically the workload should be halved, but it rarely is.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

a bunch of my fellow workers have gone on stress/medical leave since covid and so happy me gets to pick up their portfolios and I am busier than ever.

but hey at least I’m allowed to work from home because of it.

for now.

I’m still with the same company after many years. even though I could get paid a lot more and produce a lot less doing the same job elsewhere.

why do I stay? I don’t want to work in a city, and my current employer is the only game in town right now. pure and simple. I’m a country lad. I think doing my job on top of the stress of city life might actually kill me.

so I will gladly take the work of three people rather than life in the big ol’ city :redneck:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Moo Cowabunga posted:

a bunch of my fellow workers have gone on stress/medical leave since covid and so happy me gets to pick up their portfolios and I am busier than ever.

but hey at least I’m allowed to work from home because of it.

for now.

I’m still with the same company after many years. even though I could get paid a lot more and produce a lot less doing the same job elsewhere.

why do I stay? I don’t want to work in a city, and my current employer is the only game in town right now. pure and simple. I’m a country lad. I think doing my job on top of the stress of city life might actually kill me.

so I will gladly take the work of three people rather than life in the big ol’ city :redneck:

i feel you hard but have you looked at what’s out there in terms of remote work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Truman Peyote posted: