Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Color?
Yellow
Red
Green
Blue
Black
White
View Results

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I'm playing this for the first time and I really like it, i have also never played trigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Something that struck me for the first time looking up videos of the remaster is they can actually fit all the English text now.

So it's Holy Dragon Sword at last, not just "HolyDragSwd."

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

NikkolasKing posted:

Something that struck me for the first time looking up videos of the remaster is they can actually fit all the English text now.

So it's Holy Dragon Sword at last, not just "HolyDragSwd."

Guy looks like an NPC they wouldn't bother to name and shows up to wipe your whole team repeatedly.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
One of the conceptual issues with Chrono Cross is that having such a huge cast works against it, especially since you can only put three characters into your party, and one of those will be the main character. If you're looking for the optimal setup, the roster is limited further since only a couple of characters have access to the steal ability, and you'll want that for rare drops against bosses.

Compare that to the Suikoden series, which also has a massive cast, but at least in those games you have a six-man party which opens up the roster a bit (even if only about half of the available characters are actually worth using).

The massive cast also comes at the expense of the multi-tech system from Chrono Trigger, which feels vestigial in this game since there's only a few multi-person techs available. It feels like those were only included because they were such a big part of Chrono Trigger that people would complain if they weren't included, even though the battle system is much different in Cross.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Chrono cross rules, the massive cast rules (who the gently caress are you gonna cut? starky???? get the gently caress outta here) the connections to Trigger rule. Beautiful and fun game. Fun plot. Great time. Trigger and Cross are both stellar games for their own reasons and they're stronger together

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I played this as a kid when it first came out and I remember nothing from it except the opening music ruled and the weird post credits scene? . If I didn't have such a backlog of games right now I'd do another run.

It's like an amnesiac getting their memory back in tiny pieces, I'm remembering little bits of things here and there as others are mentioning them but would never be able to piece it all together without being prompted.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

I played this as a kid when it first came out and I remember nothing from it except the opening music ruled and the weird post credits scene? . If I didn't have such a backlog of games right now I'd do another run.

It's like an amnesiac getting their memory back in tiny pieces, I'm remembering little bits of things here and there as others are mentioning them but would never be able to piece it all together without being prompted.

Yeah I'm remembering things I got mad at as a kid, like "Where is the save spot in Guldove come oooonnnn?!" before visiting the shrine maidens or the several boss battles when you first board Fargo's ship which I guess tripped me up somehow the first time but now I'm just laughing at my stupid younger self

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
how can people say the cast should be cut down like "oh nooooo i have to many cool and fun friends" lmao just pick the ones you like

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It hurts immersion. Given the prevalence of stock dialogue by the end, it's extremely disconcerting to hear even the little kid characters talk like "are we being tested"? or rattling off exposition in Chronopolis.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is there like a recruitment chart that lists which characters are mutually exclusive, which are optional, which are missable, and which are available only in Act 1 or 2?

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Mutually Exclusive:

Storming the manor - between Pierre, Guile and Nikki

Save Kid - Korcha, Mel and Razzly / Refuse to help Kid - Macha, Doc and Glenn

Missable:

So so many

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

If you don't turn down Kid when she first offers to join you, you automatically miss out on two characters forever.

But honestly, I don't think there are that many 100% missable characters, iirc, they usually just give people incredibly strange unlock requirements.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
https://www.deviantart.com/vgcartography/art/Chrono-Cross-Character-Recruitment-Reference-912100838

I made a chart recently about who can be recruited when.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If anything you should be writing the OP. I see you've made a chart of all the elements. Will you be showing a list of overworld maps?

I forgot there was a character named Direa in this.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 12, 2022

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I've only made a few Chrono things: https://www.deviantart.com/vgcartography/gallery/82496614/chrono-cross
(the elements, the recruitment, a poster of characters, a poster of bestiary, the latter 2 are very spoilery) There's also an Arni village map in there for fun but not planning to make a lot.

I haven't actually picked up the remaster yet... maybe a de-spoilered version of the character chart refigured into a little recruitment tree would be good OP sauce.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Electromax posted:

I've only made a few Chrono things: https://www.deviantart.com/vgcartography/gallery/82496614/chrono-cross
(the elements, the recruitment, a poster of characters, a poster of bestiary, the latter 2 are very spoilery) There's also an Arni village map in there for fun but not planning to make a lot.

I haven't actually picked up the remaster yet... maybe a de-spoilered version of the character chart refigured into a little recruitment tree would be good OP sauce.

I would appreciate this

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Your Computer posted:

how can people say the cast should be cut down like "oh nooooo i have to many cool and fun friends" lmao just pick the ones you like

My issue with the large number of party members is that most of them get maybe 1 scene of character introduction or development, then have fuckall to do with anything.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

An Actual Princess posted:

Chrono cross rules, the massive cast rules (who the gently caress are you gonna cut? starky???? get the gently caress outta here)

I like Chrono Cross a lot but there are definitely a ton of characters you could cut with no real loss. Starky isn't one of them though, he's plot important since you need him to get to the tower. But like, Janice, Funguy, Van, Luccia, Poshul, Orcha, Macha, Mel, Pierre, Skelly, all these are characters with zero plot importance that could easily be cut and most people wouldn't miss. There's also characters with zero plot importance that could be cut, but most people wouldn't want them cut because they're cute/cool (Leah, Draggy, Orlha, Pip, Turnip, Mojo, and as much as I hate to admit it because I like her a lot, Razzly).

I don't think people are really saying "Lots of characters is bad" in and of itself. People have been mentioning Suikoden a lot, that's a game with a ton of characters that people praise as really cool and good. The problem is Chrono Cross has a lot of characters and does nothing interesting with them, and is so adamant on making characters completely interchangeable with no personality at all that they invented a loving program to just apply accent filters to default text. They couldn't be bothered (or didn't have the time/budget) to make unique dialog for each character, it's just everyone says the same thing but this character says it with umlauts and this character says "ze" instead of "the."

If the characters in Chrono Cross had actual personalities and plot relevance, pretty much everyone would be fine with the huge cast.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
have any of you ever considered:

-the characters have different designs and different moves, thus they are unique and fun even if they are not "plot relevant"

makes u think

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I mean Suikoden is also chock full of characters that show up and don't ever do much of anything. So is Final Fantasy Tactics. It's a consequence of having a huge and mostly optional cast, doesn't really take away from the games

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
The main downside to the huge cast of playable characters is that there should have been more double and triple attacks in the game.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

I mean Suikoden is also chock full of characters that show up and don't ever do much of anything. So is Final Fantasy Tactics. It's a consequence of having a huge and mostly optional cast, doesn't really take away from the games

FFT is mostly hurt there by the permadeath mechanic. It's very clear they were gunshy about having characters like Mustadio and the like be very plot relevant after officially joining up, because they might or might not still be alive down the road.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

The huge cast is part of the draw of Chrono Cross. Like, I get wanting characters with more in depth backstories and what have you....and generally speaking I fall in that camp, but that isn't what Chrono Cross is offering. It is offering a ton of different action figures to slot into your adventure....do you like the idea of a psychic wrestler, put him in. How about a anthropomorphic turnip? A carrot wielding bunny girl? A clean cut pistol wielding soldier? A living voodoo doll? Yes I have summed up the entirety (or almost the entirety) of these characters in a small sentence, but just the shear variety of character concepts is part of Chrono Cross's main appeal. If you dislike it because the characterization of these people is often paper thin....yeah I am not going to fault you there. But, I would hesitate to say it is a flaw with Chrono Cross....it is just a different style.

Or...more simply put:

Your Computer posted:

have any of you ever considered:

-the characters have different designs and different moves, thus they are unique and fun even if they are not "plot relevant"

makes u think

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The multiple characters thing is a good example of why I say Chrono Cross is fun, but only if you're approaching it as its own thing and not looking for Chrono Trigger 2. If you're hoping for another small cast where everyone is unique and fleshed out and plot relevant throughout the story, well, most characters in Chrono Cross have no plot relevance or development after their recruitment. A significant number of them have no plot relevance or development before or during their recruitment either!

But if you're not going in hoping for that, sure, it's fun to be able to get a new party member from any random sidequest, and it's fun to see all the crazy designs that normally wouldn't be full party member material. The game's mechanics are all set up to make equipping and juggling a massive party not a big deal, so it works in the context of its own game.

RIP double/triple techs, though. Those were cool.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
You'll have to pry Funguy out of my cold dead hands

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I would pay any price to have Radical Dreamers except for having to buy Chrono Cross to get it.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 12, 2022

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
If i was hoping for a fleshed out cast i wouldnt play chrono trigger either

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

AngryRobotsInc posted:

gunshy. . .Mustadio.

haha

Twelve by Pies posted:

I like Chrono Cross a lot but there are definitely a ton of characters you could cut with no real loss. Starky isn't one of them though, he's plot important since you need him to get to the tower. But like, Janice, Funguy, Van, Luccia, Poshul, Orcha, Macha, Mel, Pierre, Skelly, all these are characters with zero plot importance that could easily be cut and most people wouldn't miss. There's also characters with zero plot importance that could be cut, but most people wouldn't want them cut because they're cute/cool (Leah, Draggy, Orlha, Pip, Turnip, Mojo, and as much as I hate to admit it because I like her a lot, Razzly).

I would absolutely keep at least Van, Luccia, Skelly, and Poshul out of the throwaway characters you listed.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Aside from Pip is it just Skelly who is not racist enough that you can recruit him as Lynx?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
how bad off would I be if I kept poshul for the entire game?

how worse off would I be if my entire party was serge/mojo/poshul?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Arrrthritis posted:

There's a sizable segment where neither of them are in your party.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

BisbyWorl posted:

There's a sizable segment where neither of them are in your party.

are there equally amazing characters that I can use to sub them in? Or would it be more similar to laguna segments from ff8?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

The game is easy enough that you can use whoever you want and be fine. Now...there ARE a few characters who are way better than others: Serge, Glenn, Harle, Lynx and your choice of blue innate between Fargo/Marcy/Leena. However, you really don't need to worry about being as powerful as possible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

The thing is that Suikoden has several advantages over CC.

For one it has a six person party. That offers a lot more room for flexibility over a 3 person (1 plot locked until NG+) party. It means you can bring a lot more of the cast along. It also means that there's more room for even minor characters to like do stuff. You have the occasional "that one dude who just says welcome to the castle" but by and large Suikoden does a much better job juggling large casts because it lets you play more.

The second is that recruiting characters in that has a point besides just sitting on your bench. A lot of the characters unlock new features, quests or gimmicks and even when they don't they contribute to the game's army battles.

Chrono Cross has a large cast (which is fun) and then makes it an absolute chore to actually use them and gives no other real benefit to recruiting them. If you had a six person party or even a three-person-party that swapped out that'd be way better, but CC was a PS1 game and already pushing the console so they probably couldn't actually do that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 12, 2022

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Another Q - By my understanding every star that I get for fighting bosses nets each character 1 major stat gain and several minor stat gains on each character. If that character is benched before they get those stat gains, are those stats lost to the ether? Or would I have several stat gains waiting in reserve for when I fight enough battles with said benched character?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I would definitely play a mod where the Relief Charm is available in New Game and try to do some sort of challenge run where the party changes like every time you get a new character you have to use them, but there are points where it happens so frequently that it's not really feasible... bah.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Alxprit posted:

I would definitely play a mod where the Relief Charm is available in New Game and try to do some sort of challenge run where the party changes like every time you get a new character you have to use them, but there are points where it happens so frequently that it's not really feasible... bah.

When you get everyone from the Dragoons one after another, it's so absurd that it's hilarious.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

Another Q - By my understanding every star that I get for fighting bosses nets each character 1 major stat gain and several minor stat gains on each character. If that character is benched before they get those stat gains, are those stats lost to the ether? Or would I have several stat gains waiting in reserve for when I fight enough battles with said benched character?

So the stat gains you get for beating a boss (the Star Level stat gains) are shared between all members of your party (who are not currently KO'd/dead/0hp) and all benched members (though the exact value each character gains is random). Stat gains you get randomly in....random encounters, only apply to the conscious members currently in your active party. Do note that ALL values for a star level are dictated randomly, and are locked in place after you gain the previous star level (so you would have to save scum in 2 boss increments if you wanted to try and get max rolls on stats for whatever reason).

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 12, 2022

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There ought to be an RPG where you recruit a ridiculous number of people, and they can fight every random encounter and boss, balance be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There ought to be an RPG where you recruit a ridiculous number of people, and they can fight every random encounter and boss, balance be damned.

Have you heard of Final Fantasy: All the Bravest?