Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

feels like way too many of the worst debacles on this site have been tied in one way or another to trans issues and its exhausting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Angepain posted:

So first off I'll say I don't think sapiosexuals are a particularly significant movement, they just get a lot of attention because it seems wacky to people, I don't think it's particularly necessary to think too much about at this point.

"Labels are just labels" doesn't mean we need to abandon the idea of "a gay man" or "a lesbian" or something like that, it just means that their use can expand a bit and be a bit less rigid. There is no simple binary way to define a "man" or "woman" that is meaningful and applies to all people, so these terms already have a bit of fluidity on the edges. This also doesn't mean that we have to abandon the idea that sexuality is physiological, or the idea that it's not a choice. There is still some unknown process in the formation of the brain that makes it generally fancy some kinds of people but not other kinds, and there seems to be several big clusters of people who can be broadly categorised as "heterosexual" and "homosexual" and "bisexual" and other things, but we don't have to take that categorisation as a rigid discrete system that applies to all people in the same way.

Additionally, the function in your brain that takes in what you know about a person and spits out how much you are attracted to them is an unknown, complex system that probably takes in all sorts of variables to come to a conclusion - your brain doesn't have a chromosome detector it uses to directly read other people's genome. The Kinsey scale was always a simplification of that process. This doesn't mean you can't go around saying "i'm attracted to men" or that it isn't ever useful to talk about "men" or "gay men" (and it doesn't mean you have to be attracted to everyone who calls themselves a man, either).

Also I would question whether we should use "how will right wing chuds react" as a standard for how we should think of ourselves. To them we'll always be freaks, as that ezra furman song said

I think what makes things complicated is that the base sexuality is only the initial layer of attraction, but people do have the control to add filters based both on rational priorities and irrational biases and how they choose to identify can be affected by these filters. You can end up with i.e. a woman who finds men and women attractive but focuses on forming relationships with women because she is more comfortable dating them and feels like the lesbian label suits her more so than the bisexual label. But on a more negative note that same woman can impose another filter and refuse to date trans women on the bigoted basis that she believes that they are men.

Not sure if I'm explaining my thought process well

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

if distressing news has to be anywhere id rather have it here in d&d than any of the other lgbt threads on the forum. sad as it is with the state of politics im always ready for the worst in d&d

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Cumdog Millionaire posted:

Ok, I just woke up and I already got banned from a stream I enjoy for having this exact discussion:

What the hell is going on with the CDC and what is with them singling out gay people and monkey pox?
All I want to know are where are the actual peer reviewed studies for these claims and why would it matter if LGBTQ people spread it as well? I don't understand. I'm bi and obviously this effects me, but, I don't understand what everyone is getting at. I have seen absolutely no information that says that LBTQ people are more likely to spread monkeypox. I saw one study that said that because LGBTQ people are more likely to have multiple sexual partners then that means LGBTQ people are more likely to spread monkey pox but that isn't inherently because LGBTQ have same sex more often than not and it isn't directly connected to that, but, that's how the CDC is making it seem.

What the hell is going on?

from what I can tell this false assumption is being made through a self-fulfilling prophecy because gay/bi/pan/etc. men are the only demographic being adequately tested for monkeypox

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Quorum posted:

It does seem to be at least partially genetic in basis, based on stuff like twin studies. A fair bit of the the remaining portion is probably epigenetic but that's all basically magic so who knows what's up with that.

genes are the spaghetti code of nature, hell of a lot of stuff interconnected in bizarre ways often activated by equally bizarre stimuli

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

idk this story has that fishy tabloid smell of context being omitted or fabricated. i don't discount it entirely or think trans people are incapable of doing something incredibly silly like this but it feels like a piece is missing.