Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
You could always just identify as "queer" which at least in my experience is a catch-all term for anyone who's not cishet. I prefer it because it usually doesn't come with any assumptions, somewhat of a "no labels" thing. As in, when I call myself queer that invites people to speak with me about my specific experiences and identity (if they want and I'm willing) rather than jumping to assumptions.

edit: to specifically try to answer How are u's question, there isn't a membership application to join the gay agenda and there isn't one organized "movement" that decides who belongs or not. Personally I judge people on their attitudes and actions more than their gender and sexual identity. There are plenty of LGBTQ+ people who are huge assholes and do things that hurt other members of the community. There are also straight cis allies who are super cool and welcome in the club house any day.

At the end of the day every queer person has their own story, experiences, and traumas and while we're going to have some of that in common there's also tons we can (and should) learn from each other. Living as a gay woman, gay man, non-binary, trans person etc are all distinct life experiences not to mention race, location, socioeconomic status etc.

edit: that's a great point about allies. Being a good ally is not an identity you claim for yourself but something members of the community might regard you as.

\/\/\/

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Craptacular! posted:

There are animals that are "trans" in so far as they have sex changes as part of their biology. Clown fish are an example that most people have seen.

I really don't think that's a great comparison. I kind of get what you were going for, but clownfish are hermaphrodites. When they change from reproducing as males to reproducing as females it is because of ecology / group structure. The largest individual reproduces as female, second as male, and the others are males without functioning gonads. If one of the breeding pair dies, one of the non-breeding males takes their place. It's a pragmatic, functional thing and not a gender identity thing.

edit: beaten, more or less

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

forbidden dialectics posted:

2.) Drag, which to my knowledge, is more-or-less a completely separate subculture; one which I tend to associate with cisgender (or, I suppose, transmasculine), homosexual men, and don't think necessarily falls into the "trans" category.

Drag is a performance art form that exaggerates, subverts, or satirizes gender norms and identities (just my personal definition) and there's always been a lot of trans and nonbinary performers. There are also drag kings.

Cawthorn was definitely not doing drag. imo just being a drunk edgelord.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Casual Male XL Fan posted:

What is the number 2 in that acronym meant to represent? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

2S is two spirit

e: it's a sort of third gender in many indigenous American cultures. Both male and female at the same time. I have a friend who identifies as two spirit and at least in the local culture there's a lot of spiritual implications to that-- two-spirits have a special connection to the spirit world and are considered sacred. They have some special ceremonial roles.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 26, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
To expand on two-spirits a little, keeping in mind this is specific to the indigenous peoples in my area and there are hundreds of nations in the Americas-

In traditional society, male and female gender roles were quite strictly defined. Women owned the home and all property other than horses and weapons. Women were in charge of domestic affairs as well as (non-war) political decisions. Men were expected to learn to hunt and fight and owned only their clothing, weapons, and horse.

Even though gender roles were rather rigid, they need not match your assigned sex at birth. Assigned male at birth but want to live as a woman? Cool no prob, you're a woman, you dress as a woman, and you perform a woman's roles in the family and society.

Gender roles were also central in ceremony and spirituality. For example, men led public prayers. Women were water and fire-keepers, responsible for maintaining fresh water supplies and keeping the camp's flame burning as well as the ceremonies associated with that. Women also had control over their fertility and family planning.

Two-spirited individuals were both male and female, sort of a liminal third gender. They were considered sacred and existed outside the binary male/female gender roles. They performed some ceremonies that men and women could not.

edit:

Dr. Stab posted:

Two Spirit is not a specific identity, but an umbrella term for minority genders in native american cultures, which each may have their own names. It exists to replace the slur that was previously used.

I think once you get into talking about specific cultural practices or understandings of gender, you should probably dial in what you're talking about and not paint with such a broad brush.

yeah I'm avoiding naming the culture I'm describing as I'd rather not doxx myself more than necessary. Some of what I mention above will be shared with other tribal nations and there are details I'm omitting-- there are speciifc words for men who live as women and such but again I'd like to avoid getting that specific.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 26, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

PT6A posted:

The fact that Western culture held, for a long time, that you're either a man or a woman and it's inextricably tied to what genitals you have at birth, is one cultural construction of gender, but it's by no means the only one that's existed historically.

Forums poster HEY GUNS studies the Thirty Year's War and is fond of the stories of men assigned female at birth but who lived and fought as male soldiers. Which I mention because apparently the construction of gender in Europe in that time was there was actually only one gender and that was male. Women were merely imperfect/unfinished men!

edit: clarification, I messaged him.

There's a late classical idea (see writings from Laqueur) that there is one sex and two genders. Male is the only sex, women are imperfect men. But there were strong gender roles and you could be killed for violating them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalina_de_Erauso

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleno_de_C%C3%A9spedes

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 26, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
fwiw Timeless Appeal has graciously agreed to IK the thread. Having her input and perspective as well as another set of eyes watching things should help head off anyone rolling in here with bad faith or bigoted stuff.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Miss Broccoli posted:

Hey if cool is going to post in this thread, can we make it an explicit rule that transphobia is not allowed because this thread is not a safe place to expose your bigotry, and neither is it the place for playing devils advocate with transgender issues

The entire reason we have an IK is because of Koos inability to grasp why this was an issue and how Cool's behaviour led to the extinction of any reasonable discussion

Just to head it off

E: I mean playing devils advocate is already clearly and obviously against good faith rules unless its trans stuff already so it would be good to clarify that trans issues are covered under that before we end up with another triple perma thread

The intention in asking her to IK is to support her and the thread community in continuing the good discussion we've had so far. So rather than top down moderation a more bottom up approach, if that makes sense? The thread is good, Timeless Appeal has mod backing in whatever she thinks is appropriate to maintain good discussion and a welcoming and informative space.

I would rather participate in this thread as a poster than moderate, but I do have it bookmarked and am following it closely so can help out if necessary. Folks are welcome to PM me with concerns.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
My experience of treatment of bisexual men in the gay male community was mostly "oh you're actually gay you're just shy and still half in the closet."

As if bisexual men were just cowardly gay men who were in denial and still clinging to a bit of their straight-ness.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Pink-washing and commercialization of Pride is kinda gross but I'd agree with OwlFancier is largely a good thing. Especially if it involves statements of support for trans rights and trans pride flags since trans people are the main target in the culture wars right now.

Even if it's just virtue-signaling it's still signaling which side of the culture wars a company wants to align with.

edit: like yeah, most companies are doing Pride stuff because they want to sell you products and services. That's a hell of a lot better than, I dunno, a company advertising Straight Pride. Which is telling me they want the money of bigots and don't want my money, also that they can eat three lukewarm bowls of poo poo.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 23, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wow can't say to buy my my non-race specific possibly genderless shirt from company

huh?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
imo more concerning and impactful than what degree of lovely/opportunistic Hillary Clinton is on trans rights is, as Timeless Appeal pointed out, media outlets framing trans issues as extreme in order to try and weaken and undermine trans activism

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
On one hand, we do need to communicate well with the MSM community about symptoms, prevention, vaccination etc. for monkeypox.

On the other hand jfc this MTG tweet is bone-chilling.
https://twitter.com/caitlinmoriah/status/1551227872584429568

The people pushing the "groomers" bullshit are absolutely going to blame gay people for giving it to kids.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Almost a decade ago I used to do HIV testing and counseling as a side job and the criteria we used for getting someone on PrEP (at the time, different now) was you were MSM who had multiple or anonymous partners and/or unprotected sex, because that's simply the demographic most at risk for sexually contracting HIV.

My point is, the correct public health strategy is to target the highest-risk group with your limited resources. In this case, it's "people who have sex with MSM" and in particular, people that have multiple or anonymous sex partners. I don't see "people who have sex with MSM" being used by gov't sources but it's a better (if slightly clunky) term because it includes women and non-binary people who have sexual contact with MSM.

Messaging has not been very good but it's walking a fine line. You need to communicate directly to the highest-risk groups and get them tested, treated, and vaccinated. But you also need to communicate to the wider public that it's not just circulating among MSM and is transmitted by close contact and fomites (clothes, sheets, etc).

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Yeah, the only reason monkeypox is spreading mostly in the MSM community (I'm using this as a shorthand) is because the original outbreak was from a gay sauna in Spain. It could just as easily have started at a straight swingers' event and be spreading mainly in those social networks.

Your message is a good one for the general public but you also have to communicate directly to the highest-risk communities. That's the hard part, not stigmatizing MSM or having it perceived as a "gay disease" while also doing outreach directly to the highest-risk people. To again use an example from my own experience, we operated a mobile HIV testing van in addition to fixed sites, and the van mostly went to heavily gay neighborhoods and events. Also college campuses and such, but you prioritize using your resources where there's the most risk.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Cumdog Millionaire posted:

That's what I am saying. Why the gently caress does it matter that it was a gay community where the out break started first? It doesn't.

Only because monkeypox spreads by close/intimate contact (or by clothing, sheets etc) and the outbreak started in a gay sauna, so it's mostly being transmitted in those social networks. In order to get testing, treatment, and vaccines to the people at most risk, you communicate directly to those people "you might be at risk, if you have these symptoms get tested/treated, if you engage in these risk activities, get vaccinated." That's somewhat different than how you message to the general public where you want to emphasize that it's not inherently a gay disease and no, kids aren't getting it because gay people are pedophiles, it's simply spread through close contact.

As an example, you should absolutely be putting up posters/flyers in gay bars and clubs and setting up testing and vaccine clinics in locations where there are a lot of MSM people, putting advertisements on Grindr, etc. Because that's where most of the spread is right now, that's how you do public health outreach. Again, that's somewhat separate from messaging to the public broadly, which has not been very good.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

XboxPants posted:

But it's not just intimate contact in general. I think people are assuming it's specifically anal sex. I don't know if they have specific numbers for monkey pox, but HIV iirc is many times more likely to be spread through anal than through vaginal sex, due to tearing, porous tissues, etc. Again, I don't think we actually have specific data to back up this assumption, but it helps explain why there are outbreaks in gay communities.

If that were true, CDC could stop saying that gay people spread it, and instead just say it's more likely to spread through anal sex, regardless of gender. But

Since they don't actually KNOW that semen is infectious, they can't really go out and say that anal sex is a big factor. So, they just have to say "MSMSM" without clearly identifying why.

While that's true of HIV, I haven't read anywhere that anal sex would be higher risk than vaginal, oral etc. Since monkeypox transmits just through skin-to-skin contact with lesions, it's very very different from HIV. edit: HIV has to enter through a mucous membrane or directly into the bloodstream through a cut/tear/needle, which is very different than simple skin contact.

Here are some statistics: https://www.medpagetoday.com/infect...nal%20outbreak.

quote:

Of more than 500 infections diagnosed, predominantly in men who have sex with men (MSM), 95% presented with a rash, 73% had anogenital lesions, and 41% had mucosal lesions, reported Chloe Orkin, MD, of Queen Mary University of London, and colleagues.

...10% presented with only a single skin lesion in the genital area

The lesions are often painless, commonly found in the underwear region or mouth (pretty sure what they mean by mucosal, they say oral mucosal later on), and there can be as few as one lesion.

The article says that they're probably missing a lot of milder or asymptomatic cases too.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 28, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
One of my friends in New Mexico got his first monkeypox vaccine, this is an example of quite good messaging targeted at the highest-risk people and activities (dance floor is a great point I hadn't thought of), though as I've posted before that's separate from how you message to the wider public:

edit: it also doesn't mention gender identity or sexual preference anywhere on there though it's clearly targeted to the LGBTQIA+ community with the rainbow colors. It's pretty decent!

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 21, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

UnknownMercenary posted:

Does SA still use Cloudflare because maybe they shouldn't anymore when they keep running cover for chuds like this.

one sec. checking with admins on what's okay to share on this. somebody might swing through to give an "official" answer and more details

short answer: yes, SA still uses Cloudflare

it's been discussed at length recently in mod forum.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 3, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

doingitwrong posted:

It’d be nice to communicate to the provider that we are not happy sharing services with KF. Feedback from customers is louder than feedback from the general public.

I mean this genuinely: it would be a good QCS topic. There's an open admin feedback/Q&A thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4011310 or you could start one specifically regarding Kiwifarms and Cloudflare.

Like I mentioned, it's an issue that's been discussed quite a bit in the last few days in the mod forum and I'm sure Jeffrey would weigh in. I also don't recall your specific suggestion of lodging a complaint with Cloudflare being mentioned, so that could definitely be worth communicating to the admin crew.

Apologies if I sound like I'm being cagey or secretive. Mod forum discussion is pretty sacrosanct especially on very serious issues like this and I also don't want to speak for Jeff. He's shared thoughts on this issue and if you bring it up in QCS (where the rest of the forums could see comments instead of just in this small thread) I'm sure you'd get a direct, detailed response.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Miss Broccoli posted:

the gently caress

I can't comment re: genetics but a quick google scholar search suggests that people who are on the autism spectrum are more likely to be trans (or maybe vice versa?):

https://www.spectrumnews.org/news/largest-study-to-date-confirms-overlap-between-autism-and-gender-diversity/

quote:

People who do not identify with the sex they were assigned at birth are three to six times as likely to be autistic as cisgender people are, according to the largest study yet to examine the connection1. Gender-diverse people are also more likely to report autism traits and to suspect they have undiagnosed autism.

here's the main underlying research: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32770077/

from the abstract:

quote:

To investigate this, we use five independently recruited cross-sectional datasets consisting of 641,860 individuals who completed information on gender, neurodevelopmental and psychiatric diagnoses including autism, and measures of traits related to autism (self-report measures of autistic traits, empathy, systemizing, and sensory sensitivity). Compared to cisgender individuals, transgender and gender-diverse individuals have, on average, higher rates of autism, other neurodevelopmental and psychiatric diagnoses. For both autistic and non-autistic individuals, transgender and gender-diverse individuals score, on average, higher on self-report measures of autistic traits, systemizing, and sensory sensitivity, and, on average, lower on self-report measures of empathy.

I don't know how good spectrumnews is but the research seems pretty legit.

I'm sure Timeless Appeal will clarify what she meant :)

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 4, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
to me that all suggests we as a society need to pay more attention to the intersection between autism spectrum and gender-diversity and generally be aware there's a good amount of overlap.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Miss Broccoli posted:

yeah that will happen when as discussed above we have to go through mental health screening for something so simple as hair removal let alone anything complex like a surgery. cis people don't face that same scrutiny and autism is classically hard to diagnose after children have had masking beaten into them

That's a very good point: if trans people are being screened more closely for mental health, they might have a higher rate of identified/diagnosed autism spectrum simply because they're being evaluated more.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
and not a single tear was shed:

https://twitter.com/keffals/status/1566613484867141632

though it's slightly funny + sad that other kiwifarmers have to clarify which victim (drachenlord or keffals) is being referred to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I saw this posted in US CE and it's circulating around right wing media as trans panic bullshit. I kinda wonder what her own words on it would be, is this like a political statement? idk

"Treat this just the same as if a cis woman was doing it" definitely seems like a reasonable take.

Also, her being a shop teacher I feel like that's possibly a safety hazard lol