Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

mgreen42 posted:

Koos, this is either a bit, or you're a moron. Either way - take it to FYAD?

Oh yeah, go probe me. :)
Yeah, how hard is it to just stay out of this thread? Weird how probes in this dumpster fire of a forum always lean in one direction.

CYBEReris posted:

feels like way too many of the worst debacles on this site have been tied in one way or another to trans issues and its exhausting
It's easier to punish people who are "uppity" than care about not being lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Is generally lovely foreign policy transphobic because there are trans people in the global south? As far as I'm aware it's just generally bad, but isn't specifically targeting queer people.
poo poo rolls downhill, and trans people and other marginalized folks experience the worst harms from imperialism. It is transphobic, because the decisions we make lead to outcomes which are bad for everyone, but proportionally worse for trans people in the countries we target.

edit:

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'm a bit wary of where that argument leads, mostly out of skepticism that fixing economic conditions will automatically improve the treatment of trans people.
Trans people are poorer than the general population, and it would be better if they weren't so poor. Economic status and social group identities are interwoven and feed back on each other.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 22, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

How are u posted:

I get the reasoning, but I think it's probably painting with too broad a brush for useful conversation. Israel cries "antisemitism!" whenever there's even talk of a policy change that would negatively impact their ability to crush Palestinians beneath their boots, for example. If we boycott, divest, and sanction Israeli products then some Jewish people will indeed be affected negatively, yet to call that antisemitism throws all detail and nuance out the window. It's just not a useful way to talk about things.
I see where you are coming from, but capitalism, imperialism, economic inequality, and social intolerance are so tightly linked, that while it is necessary to sometimes focus on one aspect, its still necessary to keep the entangled nature of these factors at the forefront - it does a disservice to people in every marginalized group not to.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Just for emphasis, I live in Connecticut, a state with comparatively excellent coverage for trans care, but I need letters from two Psych Doctors certifying that I am A) sane and B) a trans woman just for Husky (CT Medicaid) to consider paying for laser hair removal.
:wtc: its a minor procedure with no real risk. You can do that at home now though, I bought an IPL (intense light pulse) thing for hair removal and it works in just as few treatments as profession laser hair removal. You can get one for less than $200, so that might be an option.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I'm not really knowledgeable about the research, but I kind of wonder if the autism/transgender relationship is going to go the way of the autism/biological sex relationship - being just an artifact of culture and gendered socialization and treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

On the bright side, even with our current hosed-apart courts, that is unenforceable.

edit: vvvv yeah :(

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 18, 2023