Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Will Win
Menou
Akari
Momo
Ashuna
View Results

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I Am Fowl posted:

I mean...this is episode five. Her plan is clearly going to fail.

My guess is it probably doesn't fail outright, but probably actually legit succeeds until Akari's time powers kick in. Or probably not until after Menou does something (or something happens to her) to get it activate.

Long shot outside odds comedy option (wild mass guessingspeculation of course): Akari gets blanched, Menou gets murdered by the Archbishop, but the act of doing so causes Akari, even when blanched, to still act to save her love, because even if her memories are wiped and soul blanched she'd still love Menou. OR a variation maybe where Menou doesn't die but still gets Akari to use her powers for the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Well that certainly moved fast, excited for next weeks episode and the resolution of the cliffhanger.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

My guess is it probably doesn't fail outright, but probably actually legit succeeds until Akari's time powers kick in. Or probably not until after Menou does something (or something happens to her) to get it activate.

She knew about Akari's time powers in the first place, so that's still a failure based on factors she should have anticipated.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is episode 5 out somewhere, because people are referencing things I don't remember seeing in Episode 4 (unless there was some post-credits scene).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hidive or wherever you get your torrents from. Episode 5 was out on Friday.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

She knew about Akari's time powers in the first place, so that's still a failure based on factors she should have anticipated.

Right, hence my speculation in the spoiler tags.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Wow, the church is evil? Totally didn't see that coming

Although I do find her motives relatable.

Forgall fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 1, 2022

marumaru
May 20, 2013

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Show really does like to hammer home how corrupt nobility and the church can get and I'm here for it

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Who would've thought that the organization that trains orphans to assassinate other innocent kids would be the bad guys?

Great show. I like that Momo is getting a chance to develop a bit beyond just being the one-joke machine she seemed like in the first episode and the princess is a good foil for her.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Bakeneko posted:

Who would've thought that the organization that trains orphans to assassinate other innocent kids would be the bad guys?

The church in the Trails in the Sky (etc) series also trained at least one orphan into an assassin, and they weren't really evil, I guess?

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Tamba posted:

The church in the Trails in the Sky (etc) series also trained at least one orphan into an assassin, and they weren't really evil, I guess?

True, but they don't preemptively kill people who haven't done anything wrong just on suspicion that they might be dangerous in the future. Or at least I don't remember that, but those games are so dense with lore I could be forgetting something.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Trails church has a bunch of secret organisations full of assassins and super power mages and can seem kinda shady but they've generally on the good guys side so far, afaik

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

The Trails church has a bunch of secret organisations full of assassins and super power mages and can seem kinda shady but they've generally on the good guys side so far, afaik

This is also basically true of the Nasuverse Church as well (with one big exception).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

This is also basically true of the Nasuverse Church as well (with one big exception).

Well; in the Nasuverse all the big organizations are pretty scummy as a baseline, both the Clocktower and the Church will do "evil" things from our perspective but it's really more of a case of "Grey and Orange" morality because their concerns are utterly divorced from the daily concerns of normal non-mystic/magecraft wielding populace.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Bakeneko posted:

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i respect the archbishop and her technicolor gatling gun laser staff

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm certainly not about to NOT respect it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Get you a girl who erases your foes from the timeline with a wave of her finger.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Wish the first person to drop major spoilers after the new episode came out had prefaced them with, "New episode out!"

marumaru
May 20, 2013

man i really like this anime despite the lower budget compared to big titles. the premise and world is so cool that even i, for whom animation quality is one of the biggest draws to anime, let it slide just fine.
this anime rocks

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Elephant Parade posted:

Wish the first person to drop major spoilers after the new episode came out had prefaced them with, "New episode out!"

if you see a new post after a thread goes a few days without posts/if you know it's the release day for a seasonal anime, don't even click the thread. i had to learn that lesson after getting spoilered several times. it blows

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I’ll admit I chuckled when Theres a bunch of triumphant and hopeful imagery and music at the end of the episode while Menou says “I’m… Going to kill my Girlfriend!”

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

wow this episode made me feel really bad for Momo.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

marumaru posted:

man i really like this anime despite the lower budget compared to big titles. the premise and world is so cool that even i, for whom animation quality is one of the biggest draws to anime, let it slide just fine.
this anime rocks

the animation's fine? like. it's honestly one of the more interesting shows visually of its kind. it's not dropping raw unfiltered sakuga every minute but every episode has some pretty solid fight scenes and really expressive character animation, sometimes bordering on the horrifying and surreal like how weirdly smooth the mouth movements of the arch bishop are as she croaks out her final words, having been turned into a decaying old corpse. there's some genuine talent involved with this show and it's never really dipped in quality, which is the real impressive thing, it's been solidly consistent throughout its whole run, even if it's still relying on some more average cg and visual affects. the stuff where looking good is important, looks good.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

there's some fantastic individual frames and the scene you mentioned but i just mean there's some really odd moments where they barely animate things at all or the pacing is off imo. the designs are all fantastic though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah but like. a cheap show doesn't even have scenes that look as good as shokei shoujo. i've watched a bunch of jankier more rushed out anime, this is one of the better produced shows for what it is

the cg and digital effects are kinda stock and the monster designs go a little too hard on "flat-shaded red guy" but if you watch a show with a similar set up like el cazador de la bruja or venus versus virus. shokei shoujo is, doing pretty good, compared to those, animation-wise.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 7, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The show has great sound design and direction I think, they make the "good" animation moments really count and elevate satisfactory and consistent animation. The voice acting is really good as well, Momo's rampage was epic.

For today's episodes main thing, I suppose it makes sense that maybe the idea that we're in like the Nth loop of these events is something that wouldn't have occurred to Orwell? I wonder what happened in the original iteration of the time loop then for her to get out of it. If this was the first iteration without any contingency powers activated then maybe Orwell's plan would've worked? If it happened along the same lines.

Menou resolving to still find a way to still kill Akari confused me for a moment, I was like, "But why?" but then I remembered I guess from her perspective it's still true the Pure Concept powers will inevitably go awry and kill millions of people. Suck to suck I guess.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Heck the show looks better and is better directed than a lot of other isekai adaptations. I've been super pleased with the adaptation and it's done a good job of taking the light novel and polishing up some of the weaknesses Volume 1 had. I was worried we'd get something like Otherside Picnic's anime but this has been a great adaptation so far

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
A solid ending to the arc. It was definitely nice to get more context on Akari's situation. Momo is still the best though. Also continue to be mildly baffled at the princess inclusion in the story, she sure doesn't DO anything plot-related huh...I mean I guess she will later but she has a lot of presence in this arc already so I'm gonna judge it in isolation :colbert:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

She's there to have muscles and slice poo poo in half

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

The only girl she meets doesn't even appreciate either of those features, really takes me out of the story due to its lacking realism

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

good

Insurrectionist posted:

The only girl she meets doesn't even appreciate either of those features, really takes me out of the story due to its lacking realism

same biggest shortcoming of the show so far

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Momo only has eyes for Menou.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
momo thinking the princess is annoying and wanting her to shut up is why their dynamic is funny

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It's amusingly ironic how the Princess seems to be into Momo and Momo isn't having it when she does the same thing to Menou.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Ashuna is a side character who's absolutely convinced that she's the protagonist of the most important story in the world. She's great.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this show is the plot of a ps2 jrpg that never got made. ashuna is the weird last party member who gets lots of funny jokes but is entirely out of place and incapable of recognizing it. this episode was the end of the first disc. my brain is poisoned and this is how i view every aspect of shokei shoujo and that's part of why i love it

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Ashuna doesn't fit but she has so much energy that she 100% belongs

Well...I imagine at some point the Nobel faction will be involved in the main story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The Colonel posted:

this show is the plot of a ps2 jrpg that never got made. ashuna is the weird last party member who gets lots of funny jokes but is entirely out of place and incapable of recognizing it. this episode was the end of the first disc. my brain is poisoned and this is how i view every aspect of shokei shoujo and that's part of why i love it

I think this is just how a lot of light novels feel.