Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Will Win
Menou
Akari
Momo
Ashuna
View Results

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

yeah anime original endings are rarely a good idea. stories are long and anime is expensive to make, so a lot of the time these days its just a fancy way to get you aware of cool manga/novels

frankly, the worldbuilding in this is dope enough that im glad theres a lot more story. im definitely going to start the novels once i have the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

KillHour posted:

I don't think anybody is expecting that to happen. It would be a hell of an rear end pull.

I didn't say you are, or anyone; the point is for contrast of tone. Basically the work has a pre-existing tone, and so that limits the possibility space of possible endings. Even if at first brush it seems like they aren't directly related.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

11 episodes in and honestly the best part of the show is the genuinely creepy little girl obsessed with movies

which is crazy

fake edit: I guess momo curbstomping a dude is up there too

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

KillHour posted:

Yeah, I know. Like I said, I just don't have the patience for something that strings the audience along that much. It's not a fault of the show, just my own preferences.

They could also just make up an ending if they know they aren't getting another season. Has any anime ever done that? I know it's "not what is done" or whatever, but with seemingly every show having a perpetual cliffhanger that never gets resolved, it would be a nice change of pace.

Also I looked up the light novel spoilers and good lord do they drag this whole thing out

Lots of series have gone to anime original endings and it's blown up in the face in more than one franchise.

You're not exactly aware of how anime production works out read much ongoing series do you?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I didn't say you are, or anyone; the point is for contrast of tone. Basically the work has a pre-existing tone, and so that limits the possibility space of possible endings. Even if at first brush it seems like they aren't directly related.

Eh. Quite a lot of fiction has a "happy ending" and doesn't bother to remind us of the mostly-nameless people who died along the way.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

Eh. Quite a lot of fiction has a "happy ending" and doesn't bother to remind us of the mostly-nameless people who died along the way.

I think it sorta depends. If you take a military thriller-esque work like Gundam, lots of nameless people die, but some of the main characters can clearly still have happy endings ever after; win their peace, and so on. But the idea of "people die in war" is kinda baked into the genre in a way that is independent of tone.

Then you have works where its pretty clear that maybe someone might have a happy ending, but it won't be the main characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Volume 5 of the light novel is out and it's a wild ride and it confirms a lot of what I suspected but in completely different ways