Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Will Win
Menou
Akari
Momo
Ashuna
View Results

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

It’s reminding me of the manhwa Survival Story of A Sword King In A Fantasy World, which is also set in a world where isekai'd people are despised and killed on sight. There, it turns out that the special powers bestowed on the otherworlders are actually cover for a curse designed to slowly drive them insane and make them addicted to murder, because the god that transported them and gave them those powers is an enemy of the local gods and wants to sow chaos.

Although it can’t be the exact same situation here because it’s humans doing the summoning, but what we don’t know is where the powers are coming from, so there could be something similar going on.

My other theory is that the Human Errors are the result of the Church meddling in things. Maybe they were trying to brainwash otherworlders to control them, or performing experiments on them to try and replicate their powers and driving them insane in the process, so in order to cover up their involvement they spread the lie that otherworlders going insane and losing control of their powers is just a thing that naturally happens. It would explain how apparently nothing went wrong for many years (long enough for the world's language to get completely replaced by Japanese) before all these disasters happened within what seems to be a relatively short span of time.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Who would've thought that the organization that trains orphans to assassinate other innocent kids would be the bad guys?

Great show. I like that Momo is getting a chance to develop a bit beyond just being the one-joke machine she seemed like in the first episode and the princess is a good foil for her.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Tamba posted:

The church in the Trails in the Sky (etc) series also trained at least one orphan into an assassin, and they weren't really evil, I guess?

True, but they don't preemptively kill people who haven't done anything wrong just on suspicion that they might be dangerous in the future. Or at least I don't remember that, but those games are so dense with lore I could be forgetting something.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

My guess is that otherworlders have been demonized to the point where people don’t recognise Akari as one. The popular opinion of them is that they're semi-mythical bogymen who hardly ever show up anymore, and when they do they just run around acting crazy and/or evil, so nobody has reason to suspect someone like her.