Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Will Win
Menou
Akari
Momo
Ashuna
View Results

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This is a good show! I'm glad I gave it a go after initially dismissing it as some kind of parody/comedy from the description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Colonel posted:

well we started off the show with introducing menou's own personal gay aide, the second episode had akari jokingly going "ahahaha what if we like went on a fantastic journey together and our relationship deepened. what do you think would happen between us. wouldn't that be crazy" and half of this ep was a buff princess complimenting momo's fashion sense while trying to kill her on top of a train car so the show's not exactly trying to be slow in getting there

also the isekai mechanics are funny cause they're not even quite like typical modern isekai where it's people who are dying and being reincarnated, it's explicitly that the nobility are summoning them in while they're still in the middle of their personal lives with the intent of abusing their powers for their own gain. it's a bit more in line with like, dunbine, something more classical where it's expressly being done for the purposes of someone living in that world and is something that has been happening long enough to have an impact on the local culture, just combining that with more modern isekai genre aesthetics and tropes.

There were some other isekai stories where the protagonist is pro-actively summoned. In fact there's one where two female characters from Japan are summoned and one is kicked out immediately as not being the "chosen one" they were trying to summon!

What introduced Menou's gay side in episode one? I feel like I missed it. :raise:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Big Leg posted:

here's an image from the subtle 5 minute scene of momo stroking menou's thighs and talking about how much she loves her (i think you just misread 'aide' as 'side')

Indeed I did misread it hence my confusion! :cripes:

BlitznBurst posted:

When fake-out MC dude talked about how Akari had big boobs and Menou was like "yeah, big boobs are nice." though yeah you also misread that post lol

In that scene though, I'm pretty sure Menou was being sarcastic given her own lack of assets.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Geez not much happened this episode but it went by so fast!

Interesting how the "Human Errors" all have extremely lovecraftian vibes to them.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

Villains who send heroes to investigate a conspiracy they're involved in are the most baffling thing. It makes sense if they're doing it because it would be suspicious not to send someone, but doing it just to separate people like Orwell did was a very bad idea.

On the other hand she expects to kill Menou and extract Akari's Pure Concept; doesn't care because she thinks she's already won; essentially this way she can account for Momo's location while dealing with Akari alone. Because even if Ashuna and Momo escape the Dragon and the Demon they got a whole organization presumably that can hunt them down? I'm expecting Akari's time powers to kick in to save the day however.

In a way, just as its suspicious to NOT send someone as you say; it would probably tip their hand and also be just as suspicious to try to apprehend Momo prior to Menou's arrival in the Cathedral, and most importantly too many variables if they're allowed together; as long as Momo is distracted long enough presumably that's good enough.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 30, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I Am Fowl posted:

I mean...this is episode five. Her plan is clearly going to fail.

My guess is it probably doesn't fail outright, but probably actually legit succeeds until Akari's time powers kick in. Or probably not until after Menou does something (or something happens to her) to get it activate.

Long shot outside odds comedy option (wild mass guessingspeculation of course): Akari gets blanched, Menou gets murdered by the Archbishop, but the act of doing so causes Akari, even when blanched, to still act to save her love, because even if her memories are wiped and soul blanched she'd still love Menou. OR a variation maybe where Menou doesn't die but still gets Akari to use her powers for the same reason.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

She knew about Akari's time powers in the first place, so that's still a failure based on factors she should have anticipated.

Right, hence my speculation in the spoiler tags.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

This is also basically true of the Nasuverse Church as well (with one big exception).

Well; in the Nasuverse all the big organizations are pretty scummy as a baseline, both the Clocktower and the Church will do "evil" things from our perspective but it's really more of a case of "Grey and Orange" morality because their concerns are utterly divorced from the daily concerns of normal non-mystic/magecraft wielding populace.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The show has great sound design and direction I think, they make the "good" animation moments really count and elevate satisfactory and consistent animation. The voice acting is really good as well, Momo's rampage was epic.

For today's episodes main thing, I suppose it makes sense that maybe the idea that we're in like the Nth loop of these events is something that wouldn't have occurred to Orwell? I wonder what happened in the original iteration of the time loop then for her to get out of it. If this was the first iteration without any contingency powers activated then maybe Orwell's plan would've worked? If it happened along the same lines.

Menou resolving to still find a way to still kill Akari confused me for a moment, I was like, "But why?" but then I remembered I guess from her perspective it's still true the Pure Concept powers will inevitably go awry and kill millions of people. Suck to suck I guess.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Momo only has eyes for Menou.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It's amusingly ironic how the Princess seems to be into Momo and Momo isn't having it when she does the same thing to Menou.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That ending bit :stare:

Also :stare: the inside of Pandemonium, literally some kind of kraken plus some other ~mystery~ entity that wasn't there in a previous timeloop!

marumaru posted:

That's not what she meant, Momo!

Which interaction exactly?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
If I had one criticism with the shows otherwise pretty good world building so far:

It seems overwhelmingly the case that Otherworlder's are pretty much hunted down and killed on sight as soon as they appear and their Pure Concept determined for threat level; it seems to me that there's no exceptions and it happens fairly frequently. We know that Otherworlder's appearing radically changed this world's cultures/technology/and economies to the point that the existence of Otherworlders should be well known; especially given that the Four Human Errors are basically disasters on par with Noah's Flood, the Eruption of Mount Vesuvius, the Chicago Pancake Explosion, etc etc.

I kinda feel like how people see Otherworlder's and internalize that knowledge should probably be given a bit more attention; or rather it would've been nice if they did so. The average person, especially Nobles probably should know the fate that awaits any Otherworlder; the King(?)/Nobles in that starting town definitely knew and deliberately tossed out that one kid as bait; and as such I feel like it should be more of a thing how people react seeing Akari. People with a guilty conscience should seem a little more sorrowful, others who have reason to hate or fear Otherworlders should be reacting a little more strongly whenever they see Akari and realize she's an Otherworlder. Currently we only really kinda see this from Church members; currently it just sorta feels like an extraordinarily well kept secret even from everyday people when that isn't really plausible even if the justify is "Oh common people just think the Church brings Otherworlder's to a farm upstate! :shobon:"

Granted Akari is disguised and not wearing her school uniform which would've more likely identified her, I just think somehow by some means we probably should be seeing a little more attention, even if its mainly in the background.

One thing we're missing is a group of resistance people acting on behalf of Otherworlders and trying to smuggle them away from the Church even if its dangerous, which is a role the Fourth movement seems to me like it could easily slide in on but nothing so far.

The other fictional parallel for this would probably be like in the X-Men comics with the stories where you have society rounding up mutants/Inhumans. People know what's happening and the way they act/react when they encounter someone whose being targeted is usually a pretty pertinent staple of those kinds of stories.

By no means a deal breaker or anything but it seems like an oversight that just gets more weirdly noticable each episode where its unremarked. Just leaves a weird nagging feeling to me.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I got the impression that the Church like any organization has its own turf wars and politics just like any other organization and has an ongoing bitter rivalry with the Nobles who keep trying to supplant them as the top power structure. Handling Otherworlder's is just how they justify needing to be on top. All of which is fine.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Elephant Parade posted:

Yeah; she wears a school uniform, but Japanese high schoolers have massively influenced every aspect of the world's culture and I doubt fashion is exempt

:eng101: she wears casual travel clothes native to that world. She changed out of her Japanese school uniform episode 1 when she began travelling with Mennou.

I did in my post also point out that while this explains people not immediately realizing Akari specifically is an Otherworlder and reacting to that; the broader point is that the rounding up and elimination of Otherworlders doesn't otherwise seem to be A Thing(tm) insofar as people should be aware of it. No speaking in hushed tones about So-and-so-Takeshi-San being taken away last week, no aside glances or quick exits out of conversations the second otherworlder's come up; the show never directs our attention to what living in a world where you're regularly visited by normal rear end kids who get taken away and murdered by the state on a regular basis.

Logically speaking there should also be people who would be inclined to lend a hand and hide them, and obviously this would be something that would be vigorously policed, and so on, but this isn't explored.

Again it's a relatively small thing but it does with each episode the further this remains unexplored makes the world building feel incomplete and very focused on the specific story being told, which is fine, but also a little disappointing as I continue to notice it.

Maybe it's actually really rare for otherworlder's to appear, and maybe they only appear in that one town, but it'd be more interesting if they were regular enough of an occurrence for their to be a societal consequence for there to be a permanent secret police in the form of the church to police them and their sympathizers.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Colonel posted:

the show opened straight up with akari getting imprisoned by her summoners with the only reason the guy got thrown out onto the streets being because they wanted to use him as a decoy, the implication straight off of episode 1 is that when they do summon people in they don't often let them out into the world to be seen

I think this was supposed to have been an exceptional situation; it was specifically pointed out that only the Church usually has that knowledge, and in that case specifically gave that knowledge to specific Nobles; and as far as we know, the Church themselves don't typically use it; instead Otherworlders get summoned at random is still I think what we're supposed to assume; with deliberate summonings being the exception and not the norm because it seems to be very illegal in this setting, i.e the King as soon as it was "publicly" discovered, was arrested immediately.

So I don't think there's a "don't often let them out to be seen" situation. I don't think that's the takeaway. What we know or at least what seems to be heavily implied is that Otherworlders are supposed to be rounded up as soon as the Church discovers one; their Pure Concept determined in order to determine the safest means of disposal and then they commence disposal; and that they appear basically at random but often enough that there's a whole sub-organization of agents dedicated to finding and eliminating them.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Varinn posted:

I really think its as simple as they're rare, and look exactly like everyone else, so nobody even thinks to keep an eye out unless someone starts using pure concept powers. you're overthinking this

I don't think it really makes sense for them to be that rare though. As I said though it's a small criticism.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I didn't even notice any reused footage. :monocle:

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

I liked the part where someone drew the chairs way too loving big and the character artists/animators tried their best to deal with it.

That is pretty funny. Although I could see some sort of weird in-world justification being constant minor suffering and inconvenience brings you closer to god hence the uncomfortable chairs.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The plot thickens.

Today's information was probably there before, but we get confirmation that Monon's mother was Japanese and lived long enough to give birth presumably to Manon before being killed by Flare. More attention is given to the "timeline" being different this time; its a little ambiguous but I get the sense that even if mainly due to her meddling, Akari's looping does have small changes but presumably leads to the same end, Menou dying at the continent of white for some reason, but for some reason this timeline beginning with their visit to Libelle is diverging significantly, and seems to involve whatever is inside Pandemonium?

Ashuna being like, "hehe time to use this to tease Momo" was gold. :haw:

Some wild mass guessing on my part, but what if Menou's time travel ability works a little differently then we imagine? Like for the "big" loops she resets far more?

Surprised that Pastor Sicily turned out to be NOT evil after her "Why didn't you suspect me?" line but I guess I'm just well trained to expect that line to usually result in a certain revelation!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Talorat posted:

I was a little iffy on the episode before this but I'm back on board with this show, things are definitely getting interesting and I like that we're getting to see competent future version Akari .

I wonder if there's any explanation for why the little girl wasn't killed by the iron maiden? They were making a point of how normally with Sin Magecraft there would be a pile of bodies and missing person reports, maybe the little girl regenerates or something?

"""competent""" :airquote:

:v:

As for the rest of your speculation:

I coulda swore I saw her regenerating/wounds closing up before the explosion! Or maybe I imagined that was the angle they were going for so hard that I just imagined it? Not sure. But one explanation if that isn't the case is maybe the spikes didn't like go all the way through, but instead IIRC like the "historical" iron maidens is just meant to make relatively shallow wounds so you die excruciatingly slowly? It wouldn't make a good torture device if it killed you immediately?

My assumption is Manon figured this was actually more efficient as a method compared to other methods, or she actually does goes through a lot of people? IIRC she only started up Monstrine production fairly recently like 2 weeks ago?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

galagazombie posted:

Saying that My own death counts as the human sacrifice necessary to cast resurrection is exactly the kind of stunt that my D&D group would try and pull.

She's basically Red Mage's ingenuity mixed with Black Mages morals and propensity for black comedy from 8-bit theatre :haw:

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 4, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like how Pandaemonium straight up conveys the feeling that it's like some sort of terrifying Fey or Eldritch god. Something that resembles something human but isn't; full of hate and spite for all of creation, unkillable, and similar to lovecraftian deities like Shub-Niggurath spews forth infinite numbers of horrible monsters and twisted abominations; whose very blood gives accursed powers. Furthering my thoughts from the mural we saw earlier in the season. Very Bloodbornesque, especially in the way she's a product of the world being a bit hosed up.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah this has been a pretty cool show with a novel spin on the genre. I really want to see where it goes from here.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Pandemonium is great and also show sure did drop some big lore stuff with Menou having a hint of Ivory being a pretty big hint

Want a season 2 please and thanks

Edit: also Pandemonium feels like it should be a break out role for Anzu Haruno. She's just nailed the part and made it her.own and should get a major part cause of its

:yeah:

And Pandaemonium is only currently just like a sliver of her full power, like a lovecraftian Great Old One she's actually even locked away behind the fog, and presumably the other three Human Errors are in the same boat; enormously powerful entities sealed away presumably by whom this "Ivory" hero person is, and whose heroism is apparently Archer levels of tragic and in particular seems to motive the Human Errors into wanting to destroy the world.

Also increasingly likely is that the Pure Concepts legitimately do erode the soul/eat memories and eventually transforms the user into a monster; and isn't something that's made up but perhaps the why of it might still be revelatory, especially regarding the Astral Archive that was brought up this episode; some sort of extra-dimensional space outside of time? My guess is another Japanese person with a Pure Concept of "Energy" or "Magic" got zapped there and became the source of all of the weird powers/magic etc and is the "Lord" worshipped by everyone. big Blind Idiot God Azahoth energy

Went back to episode 4 to re-get the names of the Human Errors.

Dragon - The Sword of Salt (Icon depicts the Salt Sword and Continent of Salt)
Evil - The Pandaemonium (Icon depicts the Fog Wall)
Vessel - The Material Room (The Sun shining brightly on a city)
Star - The Starhusk (this one in particular strikes me as being especially :cthulhu: three celestial bodies over a field of grass)

(Accidentily hit post before finishing :mad: ) It kinda seems like the icon depicts the method and location of where a Human Error is sealed; but the names don't all make sense to me; is the Sword also the person who was the Pure Concept of "blanching"? The Material Room sounds more like where you'd keep someone; but could also be a room that just produces endless machines or something. Starhusk sounds more obviously lovecraftian; I really do hope we get a sequel, this is all rad.

e: Same energy:

(It's actually something I've noticed is she likes to stand with her hands clasped behind her back and it's a really neat detail, she just exudes confidence)

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 11, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
When things turned green for a moment before purple:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Insurrectionist posted:

Pretty good final episode, although it's interesting they leave with 'Chaos has returned, again!' before we even get introduced to our next villain. Obviously I assume it will be a background thing for a while but Pandemonium doesn't strike me as especially subtle long-term.

Would be cool if it got another season as it wasn't much of an ending really.

I'm kinda curious as to how that is supposed to work; Isn't Pandaemonium supposed to be reclaimed by the Fog eventually? Or is it proportional to how much of her remains? I assume she split herself in half originally; one half revived Manon (which I assume her name is a play on "Mammon") and maybe she's able to stay out at 'half a pinky' while the other half kept splitting herself as she died/revived? Eventually becoming weak enough even with all the sacrifices for the fog to reclaim her?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
One thing I wonder about is why the subs I was watching didn't localize Pandaemonium's "Maa maa" as like "Well well".

And yeah I agree with the above that something doesn't really add up yet: We know that Pandaemonium has claimed that part of the reason why she wanted to destroy the world was the world's treatment of Ivory; i.e the Great Hero; so there's a big of confusion regarding cause and effect here. Did Ivory go crazy/get hurt which caused a ripple effect where the Four Errors went mad in turn? Did something happen to Ivory that made the Four Errors go mad which forced Ivory to imprison them out of duty? And yeah if the sword can destroy a concept, why didn't it? I have to assume that is because "Ivory didn't wish to do so" and if Flare is Ivory then there is likewise something missing about that link; an intermediate step so to speak.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 19, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think it happened the first time either Manon spoke with Akari or Panda spoke with Mennou or Panda with Akari, I'm not sure exactly but it was a few episodes ago.

But yeah this episode had like the funniest moments of the series.

"Whelp, gotta go, have fun explaining this one to Akari other me! *bang*" :commissar:

:v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
drat I sure wish At the Mountains of Madness would have a happy ending! :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
We're the anime thread I know you tagged the spoilers but any chance can you not have something someone could accidentally click on?

I don't think any studio these days knows for sure if there's going to be chance at a sequel. I am frankly much happier now that most shows have decided to hedge their bets and more faithfully adapt the material in the hopes of a new season to continue the story, than to create a gecko ending that makes moving forward awkward in the case of a continuation. See Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood which basically had to ignore the previous ending, and build off of the aired material that was still canon.

I think considering the large number of innocent people who have already been murdered the series isn't going to end that happily, those deaths probably aren't going to be reversed, the dead to quote Deep Space 9, will still be dead.

Will Akari's and Mennou's story conclude happily? I don't think we'll know for sure until it happens, I know tv shows like Lost and to a lesser extent Game of Thrones have maybe given cause for audiences to not really trust the writers that they know how things are going to end in a satisfying cathartic conclusion, and anime/manga/ln's have this problem too but I think we can at least have faith that it will end good even if the characters we're rooting for might not have a good ending.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

KillHour posted:

I don't think anybody is expecting that to happen. It would be a hell of an rear end pull.

I didn't say you are, or anyone; the point is for contrast of tone. Basically the work has a pre-existing tone, and so that limits the possibility space of possible endings. Even if at first brush it seems like they aren't directly related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

Eh. Quite a lot of fiction has a "happy ending" and doesn't bother to remind us of the mostly-nameless people who died along the way.

I think it sorta depends. If you take a military thriller-esque work like Gundam, lots of nameless people die, but some of the main characters can clearly still have happy endings ever after; win their peace, and so on. But the idea of "people die in war" is kinda baked into the genre in a way that is independent of tone.

Then you have works where its pretty clear that maybe someone might have a happy ending, but it won't be the main characters.