Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Will Win
Menou
Akari
Momo
Ashuna
View Results

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

What is this show about?

Menou, an executioner of the church, is tasked with assassinating people from another world summoned into their own by forbidden magic. Possessing incredible magical powers, these otherworlders tend to be younger, too immature to handle their powers responsibly and prone to being taken over by their own magic to destructive effect, which only grows more unstable each time they use them. Operating alongside her aide, Momo, they seem to be going on a regular assassination mission. However... after killing the target, her magic, the power to rewind time, triggers and brings her back to life. Unable to kill her, Menou has to deceive the otherworlder, a girl named Akari, and travel in search of a way to nullify her magic. On top of this all, Menou and Akari seem to feel they have some mysterious link with each other, to Momo's jealousy. What will happen between them on this journey... and does Akari have some secrets of her own that she's hiding?

Is there anything you specifically like about this show compared to others?

The production isn't quite luxurious, but it's a lot better than you'd expect from what feels like a fairly lesser known isekai novel adaptation, it's a bit heavy on magic super moves but the more physical aspects of the action scenes are pretty impactful and the character animation is consistently expressive and fun to watch, and it often dives into weirder bits of body horror that look pretty cool. Primarily though, the script is solid, it feels interested in trying to explore common isekai tropes in a way that feels aware of the genre without nudging you in the shoulder over it constantly and the dialog is bizarre in a way that has a lot of personality and makes even the slower parts a pretty enjoyable watch. If you like fairly off beat action yuri shows like Princess Principal, Akuma no Riddle or El Cazador De La Bruja, this has been a good one of those so far.

Where can I watch it?

hidive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
well we started off the show with introducing menou's own personal gay aide, the second episode had akari jokingly going "ahahaha what if we like went on a fantastic journey together and our relationship deepened. what do you think would happen between us. wouldn't that be crazy" and half of this ep was a buff princess complimenting momo's fashion sense while trying to kill her on top of a train car so the show's not exactly trying to be slow in getting there

also the isekai mechanics are funny cause they're not even quite like typical modern isekai where it's people who are dying and being reincarnated, it's explicitly that the nobility are summoning them in while they're still in the middle of their personal lives with the intent of abusing their powers for their own gain. it's a bit more in line with like, dunbine, something more classical where it's expressly being done for the purposes of someone living in that world and is something that has been happening long enough to have an impact on the local culture, just combining that with more modern isekai genre aesthetics and tropes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
official upload of the full opening song, with lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wykhe7OgZeA

they contracted mili for it, a japanese indie music group who like doing songs with really weird progression and thematically heavy lyrics. they did some major songs for library of ruina for anyone who's played that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm honestly shocked they went to mili but. i'm glad they did because it's a perfect fit for the vibe of the show. hell yeah the weird dark yuri action anime should have an op by the people who do tons of existential songs with themes of loneliness and body dysmorphia

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

marumaru posted:

idk they could just be good friends

i swear to god man if you're gonna subject me to this line of jokes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think if they ever made a jrpg out of this the ashuna and momo dungeon would have a series of tales skits of ashuna teasing momo over the little princess comment

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

marumaru posted:

man i really like this anime despite the lower budget compared to big titles. the premise and world is so cool that even i, for whom animation quality is one of the biggest draws to anime, let it slide just fine.
this anime rocks

the animation's fine? like. it's honestly one of the more interesting shows visually of its kind. it's not dropping raw unfiltered sakuga every minute but every episode has some pretty solid fight scenes and really expressive character animation, sometimes bordering on the horrifying and surreal like how weirdly smooth the mouth movements of the arch bishop are as she croaks out her final words, having been turned into a decaying old corpse. there's some genuine talent involved with this show and it's never really dipped in quality, which is the real impressive thing, it's been solidly consistent throughout its whole run, even if it's still relying on some more average cg and visual affects. the stuff where looking good is important, looks good.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah but like. a cheap show doesn't even have scenes that look as good as shokei shoujo. i've watched a bunch of jankier more rushed out anime, this is one of the better produced shows for what it is

the cg and digital effects are kinda stock and the monster designs go a little too hard on "flat-shaded red guy" but if you watch a show with a similar set up like el cazador de la bruja or venus versus virus. shokei shoujo is, doing pretty good, compared to those, animation-wise.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 7, 2022

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
momo thinking the princess is annoying and wanting her to shut up is why their dynamic is funny

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this show is the plot of a ps2 jrpg that never got made. ashuna is the weird last party member who gets lots of funny jokes but is entirely out of place and incapable of recognizing it. this episode was the end of the first disc. my brain is poisoned and this is how i view every aspect of shokei shoujo and that's part of why i love it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lmfao

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the show opened straight up with akari getting imprisoned by her summoners with the only reason the guy got thrown out onto the streets being because they wanted to use him as a decoy, the implication straight off of episode 1 is that when they do summon people in they don't often let them out into the world to be seen

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
well there's also the one shot in the op of them both together.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm not sure how much there is to speculate about the little girl who is shown in the op ripping her own head off