Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I first saw The Wolfman in theaters and I enjoyed it a lot. The movie stars Benicio Del Toro, Anthony Hopkins and Emily Blunt, and features Hugo Weaving as the inspector from Scotland Yard and a cameo by Max VonSydow (only in the unrated cut).

My favorite parts where when that guy ran out of bullets before trying to kill himself to escape death by the titular Wolfman, when the Wolfman threw the smug psychiatrist out the window, and when Hugo Weaving shocked everyone at the tavern by declaring it was the best place to stake out potential victims of the mysterious killer.

I recently rewatched the movie and, upon looking it up, I discovered apparently the movie was unpopular with both critics and audiences. I can understand why to a certain extent. I think the decision to graphically depict much of the violence on screen actually detracts from both the suspense and the actual impact of the violent acts. The movie would certainly have been better with more discretionary cuts to give the violence actually shown on screen more impact, IMO. Benicio Del Toro was also sort of meh but Anthony Hopkins and Hugo Weaving more than make up for his too-subtle performance.

Overall, I think it's a pretty good movie. I liked the Victorian family drama and I thought the dialogue did a good job of evoking an atmosphere like something from Jane Austen or Bronte, only with werewolves. I think the filmmakers made a good decision to go with the classic Wolfman design even though 2010 effects would have been up to the task of making the monster more wolflike.

The movie isn't perfect but I think it strikes a good balance between the corny premise and the dark family drama. It takes itself seriously but not too seriously to remember to have fun, and there is an undercurrent of subtle humor woven throughout the movie.

Not great cinema, but a decent monster flick that I feel was unfairly ignored in its time.

7/10. -3 points for showing us too much and not being brave enough to play up the interpersonal drama instead of action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
I don't think it does deserve another chance and I will best with a slap many who say otherwise.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
The monster in this movie did not delight me, sexually. PASS!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I saw this thing in the cinema, and have heard noone talk about it since which is a shame since it's an amazing mess. I think the story about why it's so weird is that there were three directors, only one of who was actually good, leading to these wild swings in quality and tone. There are whole extended sequences which are genuinely extremely good, followed by utter crap.

Benicio del Toro is somehow lacking in all charisma, and this is the worst performance I've seen from him. The costume design for him stands out as being particularly bad, and he looks like uncle fester in his weirdly bulky greatcoat. Hugo Weaving gives a performance so serious it curves back to campy and is delight on screen.

Anthony Hopkins I'm not sure knows he's on camera, but his weird detached acting gives the best laugh of the movie when del Toro with deathly seriousness gives the big twist of the movie that Hopkins unintenionally killed his own wife, and Hopkins responds "Why... yes I suppose I did", with the same tone as someone hearing they'd left their glasses in the toilet. I'm convinced it was ad libbed it was just so out of place.

One of the most memorable cinema experiences I've had, even if it's not a "good" film.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, it's silly and rules extremely hard. The first chaos scene with the travelers has a guy running around on fire like in every riot scene in any movie ever and another where a guy hears vicious sounds coming from the shadows so he investigates by sticking both arms into the shadows and then pulls them back and they're just bloody stumps. It's good as poo poo.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Max von Sydow is only in the unrated version? Does he do full frontal nudity or something? Do we see the old seventh seal?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Does the wolfman have a wolf boner or man boner? Or something in between?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I can't remember anything about it but I remember thinking it was alright

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Sourdough Sam posted:

The monster in this movie did not delight me, sexually. PASS!

Personally I would be more turned on by a woman fighting the wolfman and winning than if the genders were reversed. Why would I, as a straight man, want to watch another man kill a hot monster girl?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Somehow that's some good post/av synergy.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I’d been kind of okay with the idea of Del Toro being a movie star until this thread arrived, whereupon I checked out his career on IMDB and realised he’s been in maybe two good films in his life, both of which would only be marginally worse if he wasn’t in them.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I checked, and the 2010 Wolfman film is not part of the Dark Universe, the recent reboot of the Universal Classic Monsters setting.

I can't believe you'd try to waste my time like this, OP. I do not watch films that aren't part of The Metaverse.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Really coulda used an Xbox tie-in game too

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I was fairly big into movies in 2010, and just learned this movie exists. Must have had terrible marketing

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Torquemada posted:

I’d been kind of okay with the idea of Del Toro being a movie star until this thread arrived, whereupon I checked out his career on IMDB and realised he’s been in maybe two good films in his life, both of which would only be marginally worse if he wasn’t in them.

He is a trick directors use to get corporate people to sign things. "Del Toro is involved with this project", they'll say, and now there's more money for Wolfmen. Corporate people are very busy and can't check which Del Toro it is or in what role.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The Wolfman isn't even REAL, op. Like, get a drat clue.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I was fairly big into movies in 2010

In what way?

As in, you were employed in the movie industry or influenced it?
You were attending film schools or traveling internationally to film art festivals?

In what way were you 'big into movies' that wasn't 'watching a lot of them'? Because if that's the criteria I'm 'big into jacking off' and 'eating whole fruit rollups at once'.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

I'm 'big into jacking off'

*Raises paw*

Same.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Big Beef City posted:

In what way?

As in, you were employed in the movie industry or influenced it?
You were attending film schools or traveling internationally to film art festivals?

In what way were you 'big into movies' that wasn't 'watching a lot of them'? Because if that's the criteria I'm 'big into jacking off' and 'eating whole fruit rollups at once'.

I went to the theater a lot, and had the internet and a subscription to EW. 2010 was a different time

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
The monster who really deserves another chance is the female mummy from the newest movie so she can find someone who actually wants to bang her instead of Tom Cruise.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

He is a trick directors use to get corporate people to sign things. "Del Toro is involved with this project", they'll say, and now there's more money for Wolfmen. Corporate people are very busy and can't check which Del Toro it is or in what role.

Maybe he’s fabulously attractive in real life but unremarkable as an actor, like Clive Owen. I just moot this possibility since he allegedly banged Scarlett Johanssen in an elevator once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Yaldabaoth posted:

The monster who really deserves another chance is the female mummy from the newest movie so she can find someone who actually wants to bang her instead of Tom Cruise.

Once the origin story movies were done, the first team-up crossover would naturally involve a love triangle with the Mummy, Dracula, and Carmilla.