Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Lilina could always bench press Roy
This is indisputed canon.

This says more about Roy than it says about Lilina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm getting worried. It's been a while since anyone died.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I'm anticipating at least one death in the desert, and maybe things get out of hand while trying to recruit Douglas (non-negotiable for the true ending). And of course, all bets are off in Sacae.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Eh, Lalum's still there. Once she talks to Douglas in the base game, iirc he stops moving and fighting entirely. Now, getting Douglas into her range can be a little touch and go, but it's easy money then on. Pretend I posted that "Lalum will tank this side" picture.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The bridge map can absolutely kill someone if you get impatient or careless too.

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015

Bogart posted:

Eh, Lalum's still there. Once she talks to Douglas in the base game, iirc he stops moving and fighting entirely. Now, getting Douglas into her range can be a little touch and go, but it's easy money then on. Pretend I posted that "Lalum will tank this side" picture.

As I remember it, there are three people who can talk to Douglas, and after they do, he'll stop going after specifically that person, but still aggroes on everyone else. Or, you can get like 50% hit on him with Sleep, so that's not totally inviable.

Still sucks, though.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

Bogart posted:

This one? I didn't even know this was a thing. I will absolutely get Larum killed trying to set this up.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Lilina could always bench press Roy
This is indisputed canon.
The child of Hector could easily outstrong the child of Eliwood. I bet Lilina's only using tomes to contain her true power...

Walla posted:

I'm getting worried. It's been a while since anyone died.
Don't say things like that! Dark clouds are already forming on the horizon...

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

Time for a rescue mission! It's still going to be another seize objectice. I don't think there's any FE game where the objective is literally to rescue a unit with the rescue command. Maybe that one chapter in Path of Radiance where Ike's stuck carrying Leanne counts?

Rebels have overthrown Etruria and banished Cecilia to Monster Peninsula after discovering she got an F in second grade gym class. Roy solved so many problems by writing a letter to Cecilia, now she must write a letter to him!

From the looks of all these bridges, Monster Peninsula is actually a series of islands. This is one of FE6's infamous big maps, with a lot of dead space between the groups of enemies. A few of them will rush you immediately so you don't have to come to them, but there will be multiple turns in which you are moving forward without fighting anything...

The two villages on this map aren't under attack by any enemies that will destroy them, but there are multiple large groups of high movement reinforcements that will appear from the left of the map that you might not want to stick around to fight.

A green unit as a boss? Clearly this is a rescue mission because we have to rescue Cecilia to get her off of the seize point so Roy can reach it. I'm sure the combination of her Aircalibur tome and the avoid bonus from the gate will keep her safe from all those Wyvern Lords...

The infamous Perceval makes an appearence, along with his own personal army and a ballista set up for him. While you can recruit him now if you want, he is lacking his HM bonuses in this chapter on account of being on the map right from the start instead of appearing as a reinforcement. Larum can talk to him to recruit him early, but it's much more sensible to let him leave of his own accord at the end of turn 8. He wouldn't be at all useful in the desert chapter immediately after this one anyway...

Promoted enemies hanging around as little minibosses of groups of enemies are commonplace now. Mostly there's a just of Paladins, but there's also a single Hero and Sniper. The Sniper is manning a ballista and will look identical to an Archer until he leaves it...

No need for Thieves means that I have more slots than I know what to do with for a change... Echidna seems like as good an option as any, she might not be as good as a promoted Ogier but she's still pretty decent! Merlinus is also here so I can access all my valuables to sell them at the shops. And to be bait if the oppurtunity arises.

It's much easier to strategise after a mission than it is before, and looking at map as a whole made me realise something in retrospect - there's no real reason to split your army here. The villages aren't in danger, the reinforcements from the left don't come for a while, and the group of enemies on the south bridge aren't any easier to deal with approaching from the front rather than the back... That's all hindsight though, right now my plan is to send my bulkiest two units north to deal with the high movement killer weapon Cavaliers, and the rest of my army east to fight for kills amongst themselves.

Are you ready for another round of musical chairs? The boss of this map is going to change like 5 turns before we can even get close to the seize point.

Even the big man himself is here to get a turn sitting on the gate. The quiet sizzling sound you can here is the combined stares of Zephiel and Idunn slowly cooking Narcian alive.

All of this seems bad so let's go save Cecilia! Not that this map has any time limit. In fact, it would probably be better to play this slowly... But regardless I'm going to move fast to avoid getting pinned between the enemies in front of me and the reinforcements behind me. This Mage's attack range just happens to overlap with the ballistae, so as long as I keep everyone outside of his range they should be safe to move forward.

Ogier parks himself just outside of danger and equips a shield to prepare for the oncoming assault. I never really liked the standing Hero sprite in the GBA games... Something about it makes them look tiny. It's especially jarring when you promote Garcia into one in FE8, his body and his muscles shrink!

Pretty cool! Ogier still doesn't have the CON to wield Iron Axes or Steel Swords without losing speed, but at least he's now a lot harder to kill. I could have promoted him later for more levels, but it's not as if he'd reach the heights of Lance or Lot even if I trained him so I'd rather he be made immediately useful than kept as a dead weight to be potentially better later.

I do have Marcus for taking mixed damage, but I may as well make use of my Barrier staff and have the EXP go to someone who'll use it better. Sin could do more damage with his bows than Marcus could with a Javelin.

Everyone else moves as far forward as they can. It does suck a little to not have a horse on this map, there's so many tiles of large open space...

Lance and Lot can handle all of this on their own easy. Some of those Cavaliers have Killer Lances but the two of them are my best killer weapon counters by virtue of being so bulky that they don't care about being crit in the fist place.

Hooray! Cecilia seized the castle and won a prize. I hope it's good.

Wait a minute, that's not good at all! Now she'll have to get a new horse. And new legs.

He even drained all the colour out of her! Only a dance from Larum can save her now...

Now the rest of the enemies get to move. Why are they leaving their fortified position on the bridge to attack me? But then again, why am I approaching their fortified position on the bridge instead of going around them? Maybe we're both dumb. I don't know if the Mages would have started moving immediately were Sin not in range.

Regardless, these Mages are no match for him. The single frame of recoil from shooting looks more like a celebratory fist pump. That's the Sin of pride...

The ballista hurts a little more though. If Sin took 14 damage and has 9 defense then I guess these things have 23 might? That's a weirdly specific number... Maybe it factors in the user's strength too.

Perceval announces his plans to sit back and do nothing and then leave. He's not lying! At the end of turn 8 he will indeed leave after having done nothing, which is ideal if you want to recruit him later with higher stats.

Well after Zephiel cut her clean in half she's either all right or all left. Much like the Jugdral games, FE6 seems to like its story beats that play out while the map is in progress. I feel like they stopped doing those as much in later games...

Thunder Mages remain the worst. Dorothy got all that speed and strength, why couldn't she get luck? Ironic that my luckiest units wrt growths all have terrible luck stats.

My typical magic counter has definitely fall from grace. I've threatened to do it for a while, but maybe this is the chapter Marcus gets retired. Maybe he'll get one final moment of glory in Chapter 14x...

Well my Longbow plan didn't work. This one loser in a robe should not be causing me so much grief!

In the end it seems Sin has to handle things, with some help of long distance babysitter Elen. At one point this looked like it was going to be the Dorothy LP... In an alternate universe I would like to have given all my stat boosters to her and have her coast off of her initially good growths! It just didn't seem like the best way to actually survive the LP.

Marcus yet again manages to avoid a blank level, while Larum slowly but steadily becomes capable of surviving a single hit. I can't bring her close to these ballistae so she's limited in what she can do here.

I've pushed decently far forward, maybe next turn I can clear out the ballisticians? That's why I was rushing in the first place. There's a certain recruit joining this map who would really like them gone!

Of course things would be easier if I were not splitting my army, but had everyone gone to the south then this group of riders would be flanking me from behind. I still think I should have sent everyone north, but swapping my armies around so the tankier two units were the only ones facing the ballistae would also have been a wiser decision. Although I don't know who would have dealt with the killer weapon Cavaliers... Maybe I could have split my super units up, but then they wouldn't be supporting one another.

No longer hiding beneath a ceiling like he was in Chapter 3, Zephiel finally allows you a peak at his stats before he inevitably runs off again. He's insanely bulky, but he's actually pretty slow... I'm sure Lance could whittle him down eventually with his current stats.

Eckesachs is a giant spear that transforms into a sword. If he didn't transform it before every swing, would it count as a lance for weapon triangle purposes? It looks cool but in reality I feel as if it would come apart if you swung it as hard as he does, it's got too many moving parts.

What about sloth lust gluttony and wrath? Or all of those just Sin. Zephiel wants to destroy all of mankind because humans are evil... The kinds of thoughts you have when you go to the sink to wash your dishes but find it already full of someone else's dirty dishes that you now have to move just to plug up the sink.

Now he's gone back to his room to listen to MCR and sulk and not talk to anybody for the rest of the day. Quick, the castle's unguarded! Somebody seize it!! Load Roy into the ballista, we'll fire him straight to the front door!!!

For some reason it seems like all the enemies would rather attack the bulkier Lot instead of Lance. I guess Lance's high avoid makes him a less desirable target? Not that it matters who they go after, they're not doing much either way.

Ow. This ballista seems less strong than the other one, which made me look things up and discover the strength of the user does indeed seem to affect how much damage these things do. All they're doing is pulling a lever!

Oh, he just got up and left it. I didn't know they could do that!

That makes things somewhat more difficult, I would much rather this guy waste his shots on my units behind my frontline than get out and shoot my closest guys with a much more powerful Silver Bow.

Stand back M'lady, Guinevere is versed in the ancient art of the katana! I wish this game would stop interrupting me.

Melady scoops up Guinevere and carries her away from the corrupting influence of her brother's anime collection, crossing the entire map in a single move in the process. Someone's clearly paid a visit to the Chapter 21 secret shop...

Melady proclaims "I am not an enemy!" and blues herself, saving us the trouble of trying to recruit a flying unit who could very easily kill one of my squishies from complete safety. Just like that we now have a Wyvern Rider! I should probably get rid of all these bows.

Threatening Melady with a sword and antagonising her was all part of Guinevere's master plan - by spawning on the map as an enemy for a fraction of a turn, Melady got to count as an enemy unit. Turns out enemy wyverns get some pretty strong bonuses!

HP: 75%
STR: 50%
SKL: 50%
SPD: 45%
LCK: 25%
DEF: 20%
RES: 5%

Affinity: Dark (Accuracy, Avoid, Critical, Critical Evade)
Support Partners: Elen, Zeiss, Lugh, Yodel, Trec

Miredy, Milady, Melody... I'm really glad we now have an official localised name for Melady, noboby seemed able to agree on what her name was supposed to be. I assume Melady is the name of some historical or mythological figure...

Melady's easily a 9/10 unit in Normal mode where her stats are already quite good, but with HM bonuses she's something else altogether. 16 strength and 16 defense on a level 10 unpromoted unit is absurd, and 13 speed's certainly not bad either. Even her luck is at least passable! You could promote her now and she's still be on the level of your other units come the lategame. I don't think you should, but you could. I don't think there's anything I need to say about her that her stats don't already... She's basically FE10's Haar right down to her poor luck and resistance being her only two weaknesses. Keep her away from Thunder and she'll be fine! She could even tank an arrow or two if you really needed her to. She's a good candidate for the Speedwings from Chapter 10 if you still have those, but a couple of speed levels and she should be doubling slower enemies consistently anyway.

My Rating: 10/10. Fighting those awful Wyvern Riders in Chapter 7 was worth it just for this.

Here's how Melady compares to an enemy wyvern. She's not all that different at first, but she's going to keep gaining levels and get to the point where she's wiping out entire air squadrons on her own.

Unfortunately what should be an EXP hunting ground for her is currently occupied by bowmen with very large attack ranges. I've commited to assaulting this bridge, I really need to get it cleared out!

All's going well on the northern front. Maybe I could send Melady up here? My southern group needs the help more though...

[
The problem is that there's just not enough places to stand. I want these promoted enemies cleared out so I can set up a chokepoint in safety, but the cramped 2 tile bridge limits the number of spaces I can attack them from.

Saul's also stuck back here because Echidna had to waste an action carrying his sorry butt away from the ballista that could kill him with a crit. I need a third healer!

I guess this is as good a chokepoint as I can get. Taking out this Sniper will make things easier at least!

Wait why is his HP not at 0? Why is Dorothy's HP at 0...?

I... I guess you are? Oops, I guess I didn't read how much HP she had before I had her fire that shot... That was not meant to be a gamble. This LP is RUINED. I blame the RNG, that was an 87% hit!! I bet you couldn't see this tragedy coming with all the comments I made about my approach to this chapter not being very wise in retrospect.

Only one stupid death needs to happen today, let's get Larum out of here. I'm still seething over Dorothy's demise, even if she shouldn't have attacked in the first place she had 96.75% true hit! She rolled a 1 on her d20.

Merlinus has been upgraded to ballista bait. Raigh can have his valuables before he boldly rides to his death, Merlinus being defeated doesn't empty his inventory but it does deny me convoy access. Now I just have to not get Raigh killed so I can sell these...

We still haven't gotten to the real boss of this map yet. Zephiel trades Pokemon with Zarcian before finally leaving to become the Joker or whatever it is misanthropic teens do these days.

Now Narcian's on the throne. Will this be the map in which we finally kill him? You know it won't, he's got another guy waiting his turn on the chair.

This chokepoint is somewhat precarious, but it'll do. Marcus just needs to stall for time so Sin can get in as many shots as possible.

Was it worth it? No, probably not. At least he shot him instead of Saul.

Whew! That was a little close. Had Marcus died here I still would have had Sin behind him, and he's arguably bulkier than Marcus is.

"My work may leave something to be desired..." That's a portent of the future and absolutely a threat. Sophia's work will definitely leave something to be desired, and that thing to be desired will be Sophia not being force deployed in my army in one of the toughest maps of this game.

At least the Lancelot bros are doing good. "Why don't I just make my entire army of out Lances and Lots?" I think, before remembering I got my spare Lance and my spare Lot killed almost instantly after recruiting them.

Oh no! Lance visited the wrong village and now he's engaged. Lot is going to be upset...

Never mind, this village shall be raised to the ground on grounds of bad taste. I'm going to use this on a girl just to spite him.

The Body Ring raises a unit's CON by 2 points, which means they'll lose less speed from heavy weapons. It also means they'll be harder to my allies to carry, and if they're mounted they'll also be able to carry less too. Despite that I think my best candidates are either Sin or Melady, they're both sat at awkwardly low CON values that weigh them down if they use anything heavier than iron. Raigh might appreciate it too. In any other game I would consider Lilina a candidate, but anima tomes are so lightweight she doesn't lose any speed from them at all.

That's the Paladin finally gone. Sin's back on track to getting good levels! I would like to see his speed capped before promotion.

Oops, almost pulled another Dorothy. I would like to do this and have one less jerk shooting at me, but Marcus has no health left at all and sending him in to attack like this would guarantee he dies. Modern games have little HP bars on the map to tell you how healthy everyone is, clearly I need those.

Echidna shall take the front line in Marcus's stead. If you stare into this blinding white aura and squint you can see her in the fetal position undergoing her magical girl transformation.

This is now the Bridge of Heroes. The plan was to take out both bow users this turn, something I have definitely not succeeded at. I probably should have retreated after surviving last turn, but I guess Dorothy dying made me tilted and continute to make bad decisions. The wyverns are upon me now...

At least Echnidna's going absolutely ham on all fools who dare attack her at melee range. Who needs the Wyrmslayer when you can do this? I think that's a dragon in that blinding aura of violence.

Okay maybe this weapon wasn't the best choice, as cool as it may have been. Killing enemies who attack her just opens her up to more attacks...

You can do it Echidna! For the revolution! For the master emerald!!!

20 damage in a single hit... I can't believe she was exactly as frail as Dorothy. Maybe a poor choice for a point choker

Well she went down fighting. Sure she died pretty much immediately after I started using her, but she killed at least 2 enemies in a really cool way. I think you can be proud of that...

I'm at full tilt now. No retreat, just killing all these jerks so I can be done with them already.

Marcus is healed up, your reign of terror is over! I won't think about how this might have continuted to go badly if Marcus had missed this unlikely hit.

Even Lilina's on the front line now after getting a dance to speed her towards the enemy. Don't worry, there's like 1 Archer left.

Meanwhile my best units all waste their time and actions trying and not particularly succeeding in commiting a war crime. The enemy Troubadour palette is cool, where's my goth healer?

The most insulting part of all this is that the enemies at the castle only realised we were here literally just now. After hearing a firsthand account of how leaving a random boss on the throne instead of dealing with the enemy yourself ended up costing what should have been an easy win, Narcian decides to leave and stick a random boss on the throne instead of dealing with the enemy himself.

Well at least this marks the beginning of cleaning up loose ends re: bosses, Flaer did our clutches in Chapter 12. Shooting this stationary flaer with a baw should make quick work of him.

Now Melady can finally come out to play. The blue colour of her wyvern is very appealing, she's got a good colour pallete. Although you'd think she'd change her armour colour to indicate she's swapped sides instead of swapping her red wyvern for a blue one.

The first group of reinforcements has spawned in and there sure is a lot of them! Lance and Lot can take them on their own easily, but Elen's going to be in trouble if she ends up pinned between them and the enemies who have just started approaching from the west. Melady might have to swoop in and rescue her.

Very well timed! I was worried I might end up fighting him without wanting to. I guess Pereceval peaced out the moment it looked he might have to actually do something.

Things are much less fraut now, I'm free to exact extreme levels of effective damage on these wyverns with all my squishy units. This is much more reliable than using a bow!

Melady's going to be unstoppable once she gets going, but she's got a little initial speed hurdle she needs to get over first. But I'm not too fussed about her not doubling so long as she's strong and accurate enough to make her single hits count.

Hmm! This is a little bit of a precarious situation. Where's Melady? Elen's strong enough to fight her way through some of these enemies, but two unlucky hits and she's toast.

There's Melady! I guess Elen's just going to have to survive this round before her gallant saviour can swoop in. It's not too late for her to be a battle nun!

The enemies do actually have to target her for her to be a battle nun. Does Lot have a hidden Provoke skill I wasn't aware of...? I guess he can't counter these attacks but this is literally pointless.

This guy fancies his chances, but he's got to try harder than that. This is one frame before Elen grabs his lance by her teeth and bites it in half.

To contrast Elen's luck only level, Lot gets an inverse irony special in which he gains every stat but the one you would logically attribute a perfect level to. Lance also caps his skill after like 5 levels of teasing with the promise of doing so.

Elen didn't even need a rescue after all! She's just too powerful. The battle nun dream isn't going to happen, but it's good to know she's powerful enough to cheese herself out of questionable positioning regardless.

All the south group has to deal with now is 2 Mercs and a Hero between them and the boss. I might give Raigh the Body Ring after all, it would give him 2 effective speed... But with Echidna dead it's even more important I give it to someone like Melady to spite that one villager in the name of strong women!

Enemy Heroes are scary, I'm glad this guy doesn't move unless he can get an attack in.

His inaction makes slipping past him to grab this village incredibly easy. This is an Al's Sword, meaning it's a sword belonging to one of many Als.

Miledy probably is strong enough to join Lance and Lot on the frontlines and fight the incoming reinforcements, but after my two earlier screwups I'd rather not risk losing such an essential unit to a dumb mistake. She can fight this Troubs instead, or at least she could if they would stay still...

In comes the second set of reinforcements, these ones from the south. They are who I was rushing to avoid... In retrospect it's pretty clear I didn't need to, they're miles away. Oh well.

It was worth a shot. The next Guiding Ring that's not reserved for Lilina's a way off yet, there's no rush to earn EXP...

I would like Roy to hit level 20 before Sacae, it's not as if he's going to be getting any kills from then until his forced promotion. With a decent weapon he can still be okay in combat now though!

That's one Troubadour exhausted. Melady's growths aren't anything special, they're just icing on the cake of her already great bases. But more speed is appreciated.

Hmm... No, I'm not risking the crit. That's a 0.5% chance of me not getting the golden ending! Someone else can kill this guy.

But I would like some high crit weapons of my own, and a spare Restore with literally all the money I have remaining. Killer weapons have no downsides compared to iron besides durability, so if you can afford them then you absolutely should be using them.

Even Lilina's being doing just badly enough on her luck to face a tiny crit rate from Flaer's Spear. Is anybody lucky enough to fight this man? Besides my two superunits who are currently halfway across the map fighting an entire army by themselves.

...okay, if that's how it is then that's how it is. See, Roy's good for something! Someone else can finish off the boss once he's at lower HP.

He even got a nice level out of it. Double digit strength! I'm proud of you my son.

Even Saul gets a magical level to celebrate this special occassion. That's his first ever in... 10 levels? 10 levels off of a 40% growth.

As much as I'd like to milk these reinforcements for EXP I really don't trust myself not to mess up somehow and get someone killed. I'm going to end this map as soon as the boss is dead. Sin and Melady can jump in to get a kill here or there, but I'm not letting them be exposed to any killer weapons.

This is certainly acceptable! I might even promote him next map if it gives him an extra point of movement in the sand.

I have no idea what happened here to make this screenshot almost entirely blank, was it a poorly timed screen flash or an error outside of the game? Even Flaer seems confused, he's continuing to threaten Lilina despite being dead. That's the issue with taking screenshots as things occur instead of cutting up a recording you made while playing, but doing things this way just seems easier. Perhaps what transpired here was too violent to show.

That extra luck will help her avoid boss crits in the future. I hope she gets skill speed and luck again next level so she can have four 12s.

This map does not need any more Content, I'm quitting right now just in case Melady gets killed. Bridge chapters are dumb, let's leave this mess behind us!

Well that makes two of us. Let's give up and not go to Arcadia.

No, no! Back, foul demon! We should ignore her and go to straight to Chapter 15, it's much easier...

Next time:

Well you were all concerned that nobody had died in a while. I'm sure the death gods will be briefly appeased with these sacrifices of women with an actual CON stat. This wasn't a map I was expecting to lose units on... Don't worry, I'm sure Arcadia will be easy!!!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Elen's the only thing holding this LP together now

Stand strong, battle nun :smith:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I can't wait for you to lose Raigh and Ellen and Cecillia and Lilina next map thus being forced to use Sophia as a mage :v:

(Holy poo poo those stats so bad I wouldn't use her even if she was the only mage left)

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Is FE6 regarded as imbalanced or do people think the garbage hitrates present a fair challenge? Is it just HM stat bonuses making generic red units so evasive?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
No, FE6's weapons are notably less accurate than 7 and 8 (Hand Axe, just as an example, has a 50 hit rate), and the terrain is worth more (Thrones are +30 avoid, and literally every map is a seize map).

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
One thing the garbage hit rates do is that they make dodge tanks even stronger than normal on the GBA titles.

My bottom group didn't have any problems because it turns out that having someone who's literally invulnerable and can get thrown to the wolves safely does wonders. And leaves them all with like 10 HP for easy feeding of the lower level members. Clarine is probably the strongest iteration of dodge-tank Troubadour due to how bad the hit rates on weapons are in her game. And with how big the maps are in her game so that she actually reaches level 20 in a reasonable time frame just from how much healing there is to do. She can reach 0 chance of getting hit fairly reliably with just support bonuses.

Now, the problem that comes is that Rutger and Dieck are nowhere near as dodgy as she is, so you have to get creative with positioning (or just create a wall where no one else can get attacked more than once and throw Clarine in front of it)

I did lose someone though. Tate (or Thea in more recent translations). Coincidentally, it was on the top where I wasn't deploying the functionally invincible tank. Similar story to Dorothy's death in that she missed a shot I shouldn't have taken, and got critted in response. I was getting impatient with her though since she wasn't contributing at all since I didn't HAVE safe kills to give her.

I'm not looking forward to doing the desert map with a singular flyer.... Thany got killed earlier too (ironically to inattention with an archer).

Edit: I.... just realized that I can't get the true ending. Shin is already dead, and both flyers are dead so I can't even force Ilia route. Hmm.

Does the game default to Ilia if I did something dumb and killed off Sue? Or is it going to look at the fact that the dead Sue got more experience than the pegasi and lock me into Sacae anyways....

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 17, 2022

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Odd Wilson posted:

Elen's the only thing holding this LP together now

Stand strong, battle nun :smith:

Hey, I like his army a Lot

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
FE localization choices continue to baffle me. Melody is actually a name, why not use it?

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Melady is a name, too!

...a last name. And none of the notable guys with the name per Wikipedia (Canadian writer, Canadian murderer, and an American diplomat and author) really share anything in common with this Melady...

...Yeah, they should've sticked with Melody.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

LiefKatano posted:

Melady is a name, too!

...a last name. And none of the notable guys with the name per Wikipedia (Canadian writer, Canadian murderer, and an American diplomat and author) really share anything in common with this Melady...

...Yeah, they should've sticked with Melody.

My first name is a last name. I've only seen it as a first name one other time in my life (outside of my family tree). It was an 8 year old girl. To put that in perspective I am a 35 year old man (32 when I met her). Yes, I did fight her. Yes, she won. She rolled better level ups.

Point is, placement doesn't matter as far as names are concerned. A name's a name

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

midnight lasagna posted:

Well you were all concerned that nobody had died in a while. I'm sure the death gods will be briefly appeased with these sacrifices of women with an actual CON stat. This wasn't a map I was expecting to lose units on... Don't worry, I'm sure Arcadia will be easy!!!

Blood for the blood god! :black101:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

I dunno, this one seems pretty versed in murder.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 17, 2022

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Chapter 13, you say? Clearly that was the evil twin of RD's 3-13 Archer. :moreevil:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I do have to wonder it someone added that Body Ring in a second pass of this level after looking at a certain character. Sofiya's by no means a good character (yes, that's an understatement), but if you do painfully go through the work of leveling her she'll at least have fairly reasonable stats... except her CON. She's got a godawful starting CON of 3, it obviously never grows naturally, and Druid promotion only boosts that by 1 - the lightest Dark tome weighs in at 5. Literally the lightest weapon she can use still weighs her down even after promotion. One Body Ring completely fixes that issue, and also means no penalty for using Nosferatu either after promotion.

Not to say you should give it to her, just that it's fairly interesting they give you a ring that so perfectly fixes that defect in the same chapter she's introduced.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Sophia gives off insane Wimp Lo vibes

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

From past attempts at this game I always had the impression that enemies tend to hit a lot more often at low% hit chances and your characters tend to hit less often at high% hit chances than in the other GBA games. Is it just me, or is that the case?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
So the problems with Ray not being the best character because Dark Magic sucks in this game? Amplify that with Sophia in that she has that same problem, and adds being horrendously underleveled and having lovely stats.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
And starting in a chapter where she can’t fight anyone.

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015

Bogart posted:

And starting in a chapter where she can’t fight anyone.

You could have her chip away at the various staffbots. Or take potshots at weakened units while suffering through the same 67% hit rates as everyone else, but with added risk of dying because she has literally 2 AS.

She'll still be bad, but then she'll only be "bad" bad, as compared to "did they seriously think people would use this?" bad.

...Seriously you can question the inclusion of like, Meg in RD or whoever but there is still no character that makes me go "but why tho?" more than Sophia. Even more than Wendy, for that matter, courtesy of the similar starting stats despite six chapters between them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Haar_Dragon posted:

You could have her chip away at the various staffbots. Or take potshots at weakened units while suffering through the same 67% hit rates as everyone else, but with added risk of dying because she has literally 2 AS.

She'll still be bad, but then she'll only be "bad" bad, as compared to "did they seriously think people would use this?" bad.

...Seriously you can question the inclusion of like, Meg in RD or whoever but there is still no character that makes me go "but why tho?" more than Sophia. Even more than Wendy, for that matter, courtesy of the similar starting stats despite six chapters between them.

Honestly, from my memories of using her on hard mode you are vastly overselling Sophia's hit rates.

Seriously, she has to be hands down the worst character in the entire series.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Haar_Dragon posted:

... 67% hit rate?

She's lucky to go above 35 at times. She can maybe hit 45 on the enemy mages due to WTA.... who will kill her basically guarenteed when she misses.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Meaty Ore posted:

From past attempts at this game I always had the impression that enemies tend to hit a lot more often at low% hit chances and your characters tend to hit less often at high% hit chances than in the other GBA games. Is it just me, or is that the case?

It's you

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
The blood sacrifice is, pleasing. For now.

:unsmigghh:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Haar_Dragon posted:

Meg's arguably just there to have a bit of fun referencing Brom's supports in PoR. The real "what the hell were they thinking?" there was Fiona. Like, she's theoretically an Est-type, with bad bases for when she joins but good growths, but then she doesn't get many maps until endgame in general, and the vast majority of them are goddamn indoor maps in a game where cavalry are heavily penalized indoors. Is she usable? Sure, but wow is it tedious training her for reasons even beyond actually feeding her kills.

Here at least they have the excuse that they clearly had no idea what the hell they were doing in general in terms of playable unit design and balancing. Not that this takes away from Sophia being so bad you basically have to dump multiple stat boosters into her immediately if you even want to try using her, but there are LOTS of bizarre choices in FE6 in regards of unit starting level/stats.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
And the weapon balancing.... in that there isn't any. An Iron Sword shouldn't have more accuracy vs a lance user than an Iron Lance.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

midnight lasagna posted:

It's especially jarring when you promote Garcia into one in FE8, his body and his muscles shrink!

It's downright criminal! Hero Garcia should look like this

quote:

The ballista hurts a little more though. If Sin took 14 damage and has 9 defense then I guess these things have 23 might? That's a weirdly specific number... Maybe it factors in the user's strength too.

Functionally, a ballista is just a bow. You can even put them in people's inventories and carry them around siege tome style.

quote:

Quick, the castle's unguarded! Somebody seize it!! Load Roy into the ballista, we'll fire him straight to the front door!!!

Fine.

Rip Dorothy and Echidna but those are all the pixels i have in me.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

A lot of FE6s janky decisions seems like holdovers from the FE1/3 games, where you'd get a whole smattering of variable quality units, with you left to decide if the low-quality new unit is a replacement (old FEs would treat clones as inferior replacements to punish you for losing good units) or highly situational utility units.

Sofiya I don't think is meant to be either these, but as the actual weight around your neck that she appears to be. She's only forced deployed in one map (coming up) and that map has two major conditions revolving around her. It's an escort mission, and Sofiya is helpless, worthless wyvern bait. Just count yourself lucky IntSys weren't deranged assholes and made her a green unit.

Noah/Treck, Hugh, Barthe etc. are more clearly meant to be inferior replacements to their starting equivalents. Once FE7 changed the overall army distribution to be smaller and more distinct, those sort of characters dropped off from the FE design book. Sofiya isn't meant to be one of these. She's meant to suck, and you're more or less meant to toss her out after Arcadia. Her good growth rates are in case you, for whatever reason, really want to keep using her.

Amgard fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 17, 2022

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

vilkacis posted:

Fine.

Ah, the Wind Waker gambit. Now Roy loses his sword and has to endure a stealth section.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

in FEH sophia's neck is too long and too skinny

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

So a perfect target for a headsman? Sounds appropriate to how using her feels.

Or at least until I dumped literally all of the stat boosters into her. Because if I was going to go through all that effort on her, I wasn't going to settle for "kinda usable"

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
In project ember she gets leveled to 10 and has her own prf tome that’s effective against flyers. She’s okay. :v: I tend to use her since Fa’s required to bring to endgame and she may as well have a good support bond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015

Amgard posted:

Noah/Treck, Hugh, Barthe etc. are more clearly meant to be inferior replacements to their starting equivalents. Once FE7 changed the overall army distribution to be smaller and more distinct, those sort of characters dropped off from the FE design book. Sofiya isn't meant to be one of these. She's meant to suck, and you're more or less meant to toss her out after Arcadia. Her good growth rates are in case you, for whatever reason, really want to keep using her.

Hugh has unusually high Def for a Mage without a huge Spd tradeoff, and Barthe is much more suited to a Knight role than Bors, even if Knights are still a bad class.

FE6 does have a lot of "back to basics" elements, but Hugh at very least does have a niche. Just a matter of whether you want to wait until Chapter 15 for him, but there's no law against using him alongside Lilina/Lugh. Only reason not to is the limited distribution of Guiding Rings. Which "Oh hey look, the Member's Card, and there's a Secret Shop right over here!"