Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
RIP banana boy, nothing of value was lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Dang, the RNG giveth, and the RNG taketh, all in one chapter. That's FE for you sure, but seeing so many good levels and then death on ironman is rough.

:allears: Then again, if death results in things like this and the Alen one from the last chapter, maybe its not so bad after all.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Thank god his color scheme is a crime

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Guess hes now

A banana split

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I prefer mashed banana.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Man, this lp got me to start up a reverse recruitment run and this poo poo is hilarious. De leveled Karel is the mother of all ests. Starts with 4 hp and 0s in darn near everything, but guaranteed to cap literally everything if you can push past that.

And yodel is a jerk that kills people instead of being like hard mode Marcus, king of jeigans.

RIP Lugh. You saw your suicide mission and got good levels before dying out of spite. My kind of guy.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

FoolyCharged posted:

Man, this lp got me to start up a reverse recruitment run and this poo poo is hilarious. De leveled Karel is the mother of all ests. Starts with 4 hp and 0s in darn near everything, but guaranteed to cap literally everything if you can push past that.

And yodel is a jerk that kills people instead of being like hard mode Marcus, king of jeigans.

RIP Lugh. You saw your suicide mission and got good levels before dying out of spite. My kind of guy.
Your post inspired me to start my own playthrough of reverse recruitment on hard.

So many 1 point levels... :smith:

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

Keldulas posted:

Whoops. Honestly, I can't blame your logic for doing that. It's just too early in the game to do it because he doesn't have a 2nd fire tome yet. I'm pretty sure he could've pulled it off with two Fire Tomes and two Vulnearys (I can't spell that word worth poo poo).

Given that he was getting 20s on the Hand Axes, I'm fairly certain that Chad would've had 0s what with WTA and higher speed. You just would've had a diamond of Hand Axes around him. But c'est la vie.

Honestly, you're making this look pretty fun though, I've never done an Ironman in FE before and while FE6 is probably one of my least favourite, it's also probably the most appropriate game to do an Ironman of. You seem to be inspiring me into playing some of the more maligned FE titles... Thank god that didn't work with Birthright.

And yeah, using Raigh is honestly pretty bad if only because he effectively loses Apocalypse. I really don't see how he's going to train Sophia in an Ironman whatsoever, she's so RNG-based with how terrible her start is.

Edit: Trip report, I also lost Ward on the 2nd map. Goodbye Hammer! Dammit....
Chad probably would been a better idea in retrospect. The EXP he gained would have been wasted imo, but so was Lugh's when he died so :shrug:

Ironmans are fun. I didn't like the idea originally but really not having to reset when someone dies far outweighs the annoyance of having to redo maps multiple times, at least for me.

Poor Ward can't catch a break! At least the Hammer sucks anyway.

vilkacis posted:

A horse?! I'm a cleric, i can't ride a-

Wow, 7 movement? Never mind, this thing is great, i'm a troubadour now!
Honestly I think if you give a level 1 person anything that becomes their class. If Rutger had instead prepared a wyvern and a lance for Clarine she'd have been a Wyvern Rider...

FoolyCharged posted:

Good luck! RR Karel is such a fun and dumb concept for a lord. I don't think I ever finished any of my playthroughs of it though, once he capped all his stats I realised I didn't really care about the rest of my army.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

Fire Emblem! That's the series I'm playing. Don't let this title fool you, this chapter is just filler. We won't even be getting any new units...

Nobody in Lycia can be trusted anymore... Even the mountains are treacherous! This conspiracy goes all the way to the top, literally.

This chapter is called Fire Emblem because it's quintessential FE earlygame I guess. A bandit group led by Frankenstein's Monster and a rat man are terrorising these poor villagers and we are helping them because we need EXP before we can make a stand against Bern.

Take that opening narration about treachery to heart, because this is terrible advice that will get you killed. Do not let the villagers open that gate!

Here is Bandits. There's a lot of axe guys, and a few sword and bow guys too. There's even one single Mage! But only one.

There are two ways to reach the boss: either go around the long way and slog through all these enemies, or have someone wait at the gate and the villagers will open it for you. On Normal it's not too bad a strategy to wait at the gate, you could form a chokepoint with Marcus and Dieck and perhaps split up the enemies by sending some of your other units around to the right... But on Hard the game will immediately spawn two Mercenaries and Nomads right in front of you the instant the gate opens. I'm sure with good planning a bit of luck you could still survive it, but right now it would be a pretty awful idea to try.

This will be the last chapter where I don't get to choose who's coming and how they're placed. The holes in my army look fairly obvious now... There's definitely some gaps in my units here.

This is the boss. He has a Killer Axe and 19 strength, but if you're unlucky enough he can roll one higher and cap it with his random HM bonuses. They call him Dory because if he crits you you'll die so hard nobody will remember you ever existed. He sucks!

This is the last chapter of enemies getting twice the bonuses they should and god will I be glad to see the last of stats like these. Thankfully the Mercs and Nomads won't aggro for a while so I can turtle through them and surround them to take them out, but stats like these really aren't what you want to see when you only have a few good units with reliable hit rates.

These forts to the right will make a great chokepoint for me to bait out the initial enemies from. Unfortunately most of my good combat units didn't start near them... They really should have given you access to the prep screen as soon as Chapter 4.

A rescue chain or two can get my army there a little faster. I want to claim these forts before the axemen come!

Stick any sword user on one of these forts and they should be safe from any and all axe attacks. Really the Fighters are just warm bodies to get in the way of the small number of actually dangerous enemies here...

This chapter does have a small time incentive though - these Brigands are here to smash the village up top. There's nothing too valuable, but it is free stuff and I like free stuff.

Hanging out in this village are Saul and Dorothy, but only temporarily. An unprofessional clergyman and an Archer girl with mediocre stats... Reminds me of a game I played recently.

The two of them announce their intent to join up with our army, head off in the direction of our army, and then... don't reach us? I do wonder if they were originally meant to join up here, because when they do eventually show up it's in the castle you seize which just happens to be located in the opposite direction they headed. Not that a third healer or a mediocre Archer would be much help here, it's just a bit odd.

It's a little sad to see Dieck unable to double generic axe dudes. I guess once his bases wear off he's more of a strength guy than a speed guy, but I'd like to still think of him as being my mini-jeigan... At least he's hard to hit on this fort.

Oh! Well thank you Dieck. Complaint rescinded.

I think I can hold out like this for a while. Rutger doesn't have a fort to stand on but he's dodgy enough as is. The Hand Axe Fighters and Nomads are eventually going to force me to advance a little, but right now this is a very defensible position.

Yep, don't need a fort to dodge an axe. These Steel Axe guys would be a huge threat if they could ever hit someone, but they cannot and so they are not.

...he doesn't need a Killing Edge to crit either. Thank you Rutger!

These guys are the real problem. Skill just high enough to have a slight crit rate, fast enough to double some of my slower guys, and annoyingly dodgy and bulky. Lances being inaccurate as they are means swords are still my best shot at hurting them...

Congratulations, Lance! You are now faster than Marcus. Strength is super nice to see too, as good as his other stats are he's not so hot at actually hurting things. Some extra skill would be nice too though, he's only one single point above his base here.

For all my worrying about crit rates, I've yet to see the enemy land a single critical hit on any of my units. Meanwhile I've been getting a lot of lucky low% crits... and maybe the occassional unwanted one. It's a little scary to imagine how many more deaths I'd have had if some of those enemy 1% chances had been successful!

Speed off of a 20% growth! It's hard to get too excited about stats on a unit who can't attack, but that's pretty cooll. Elen's base magic is now as high as Saul's, the other healer I mentioned when I rated her as being more likely to have better magic on average for a while. The other major thing he has over her is staff rank, but I've been playing slowly enough that hers is almost at C now. Maybe I won't need him after all...

Looks like these Brigands have no interest at all in the village and just want the blood of my army instead. I guess that explains why I don't ever remember the village being in trouble in this chapter... It's nice that I won't have to rush ahead to save it, but now I'll have to reorganise to cover my flank instead.

Also all of these jerks on the frontlines have ranged weapons now. The only reason some of the Fighters are standing as close as they are is because they can't throw their weapons from anywhere else... Even if they're so inaccurate as to be basically inconsequential, Hand Axes are still really annoying.

They do at least make me not feel comfortable about putting Clarine right behind the front lines, even though she could probab/y dodge a Hand Axe. She dodged a lot of attacks last chapter!

I'm actually surprised that Marcus has gotten stats on both of his levels. HP is his only growth above 25%...

Oh! Well there's an unlikely hit. I guess 22% is 22% after all... Or well actually 22% is 9.9% thanks to this game's 2RN system. A displayed hit chance of 33% would be an actual 22% chance.

Ohhh god dammit this was entirely my fault. I had it set up so Rutger was always next to another unit so he could only ever be attacked from range once per turn, but I overextended him to deal with an annoying enemy and forgot that Nomads don't have nearly as neglible hit chances as Fighters do. Yeah this was the result of two unlucky rolls in a row, but one of those he should never have been facing in the first place!

No more Rutger. No more Killing Edge. No more amazing support combo...

NO MORE FRONTLINERS TO STAND IN FRONT OF MY FRAGILE FLIERS GOD DAMMIT AHHHH

You don't think about the consequences deaths might have on your formations when you reset when a unit dies 99% of the time! Guhhhhhh this is extremely irritating. Even if Shanna's not nearly as impactful to my success as Rutger is, I was growing really attached to her and she got that super unlikely perfect level... Worst of all, this might mean I'm stuck going to Sacae instead of Ilia. Whichever of your Pegasus Knights or Nomads has gotten the most EXP determines which route you end up on, and the only other character who can get you on the Ilia path is Shanna's sister who can be a massive pain to recruit. Sacae sucks even on Normal mode, I haven't even tried it on Hard...

Well this sucks. Why couldn't that Nomad have shot Merlinus instead? My Killing Edge is gone, Shanna's stuff is gone... I guess it's good I never used the Angelic Robe on her. I didn't actually use it on anyone, I hate sorting inventory stuff without battle prep so I didn't bother. This does unfortunately mean Shanna also died with some of the staves I had her buy in her inventory...

It's fine. It's fine! We can get through this. I just need to deal with the enemies in front of me and then I can handle the Brigands behind me. My chances of winning this game or even beating the boss of this chapter did not evaporate the moment Rutger died along with my best weapon...

I just need to make use of my free distractions. Oh Merlinus, why couldn't it have been you who died first? He'll never get a perfect level or kill a boss...

You know what? This does actually make me feel a little better. Thanks, Roy.

Good thing I have these forts to make a chokepoint out of still. As you can see, Chad would have made a much better decoy than Lugh... But then his levels wouldn't really have meant all that much, I'd still replace him with a thief who joins later regardless.

I can't believe I'm reduced to having to give kills to Wolt of all people. I'm 5 characters down now!

Let's get this village before the reinforcements show up. I have no idea who Gant is... Was he someone I killed?

I think he might be a character from an official tie in manga. Gant's Lance is halfway between a Iron and Steel lance... It has a lot of uses and it's strong, but it's also a bit unwieldy. It's a funny name, Gant. Like many single syllable four letter words it sounds like something it would be rude to call someone.

Reinforcements are going to start crawling out of every fort soon. I'm perfectly content to sit here and wait for them to stop. This Mercenary doesn't seem to want to move despite me being in his range, so I'm probably fine to wait out the next 10 turns while slowly farming reinforcements for EXP...

I may as well support grind while I wait. Dieck x Clarine isn't as powerful a combo as Rutger x Clarine, but it'll do... Dieck has to be my new Rutger now.

Here come the bandits! They're all in single file, how convenient. Ordinariliy I'd be rushing ahead to stand on the forts they come from, but I don't have Rutger to muscle through the enemies betweem them and me...

Lance has built up enough goodwill that I can't be too mad at this. Resistance will be helpful for that one single Mage I guess...

Reinforcements don't get the same glitched boosted stats other enemies do, so they're a bit weaker and easier to beat. It's nice to see Marcus doubling again!

They do however have an annoying habit of standing on the mountains where nobody can hit them. Mountains give +40 avoid and allow the Brigands free reign to chuck Hand Axes at people without fear of retribution. Sure they can't actually hit anyone with them (besides Rutger), but the threat alone is irritating enough.

Dieck is Rutger now, and that means he must get luck like Rutger kept doing for some reason. He's rather overdue on that strength growth, I'm glad to finally see it.

Maybe Dieck isn't Rutger... Maybe Lance is Rutger? He's certainly very fast. I think this mighe be the most blessed Lance I've ever seen, the only thing he's behind on is his skill. Which I of course am going to complain about constantly.

Eventually all that's left is the bandits who ran away to heal. By standing on these forts they can potentially block other reinforcements, but I think I've finally exhausted their 10 turn spawning window...

Okay fine if you're not gonna move I'll move you instead. Enemies that don't aggro when you enter their range are the worst, you just know there's going to be some horrible trick behind them.

Oh yep, there's the trick. Getting into his range aggroed every single Mercenary on the map!

Spending the last 15 turns fighting nothing but axe users with 20% or so hit rates against all of my army has numbed my brain somewhat, I think leaving Dieck in range of this many enemies was a poor decision. Thankfully FE6 hitrates are still FE6 hitrates and standing on a forest is enough for him to be mostly okay...

oh for gently caress's sake

My bad! ...again. I really should have just retreated at this point, I was so fed up of fighting the same 1000 Brigands chucking Hand Axes at me to no effect over and over for 15 turns that I forgot regular enemies could legitimately be dangerous. This kind of sucks actually! It's really not good!!!

oh right, if your frontliners die the units behind them are fair game

I DIDN'T LEARN A THING

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

Well I sure did systematically kill off my best units in what was supposed to be a free EXP chapter. It's fine! I don't need fast sword users, I have Lance! I don't need healers, I have Elen and Saul! I have reserves! That was always the plan!!! Hahahahahahahaha, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Perhaps I should have retreated back to the forts instead of trying to hold the line on these forest tiles. Or perhaps I should have done literally anything but the sequence of events that led me to this moment.

Almost all the enemies are dead. I can hold out here, and then I can die next chapter, or even to the boss of this one! Many possibilities are still open to me.

Oh I didn't see that guy and I thought there was a mountain tile immediately below Roy. Don't worry, he's backflipping out the attack he just made... Roy isn't going to die yet.

Ugh these guys are such a pain. Why are you so fast? Why are you so bulky?

I'm just glad I have Lance defying all odds to become the monster he is shaping up to be. Marcus 2.0 is what I need now I've killed all my fastest guys. Were it not for him I think I'd write this whole thing off on the spot.

Even Roy's not as bad as he could be. Can Roy gain skill enough times to replace Rutger? Obviously the answer is no.

I just have this left to deal with now. The Nomad's not so bad if I surround him, the Mage I'm sure I can deal with, but Dory...

I no longer feel shame anymore. It is simply not benefitial for me to do so. You will die to this 33 hit and give Lot your EXP, no matter how many turns it takes for that to happen.

It was like 8 turns. Lot's doing pretty well, actually... 32/7/3 bulk certainly isn't terrible.

Elen's no Clarine, but she's the sole recepient of all this staff EXP now. Maybe if I obsessively have her heal every single point of damage she can promote with the Guiding Ring and be my boss killer? I think I've sunken that deep.

I'm not even setting foot near the caslte until I've wrung out every single support point I possibly can. I might have killed off of Lot's entire mercenary company, but Lance is still alive to support him and they have the same affinity so they'll both receieve the maximum support bonuses without needing to worry about decimals being rounded down to nothing.

Okay it's been 100 turns and nothing's happening. Maybe this game's per chapter support point caps are more limiting than I thought. You can only earn so many per map and that's across all units, not just one single pair.

Okay! This sucks. There's no way Lance is killing this guy before a crit does him in. I sure hope this isn't my best shot...

With Roy's assistance he is better, but not much. It would take 4 rounds of combat to kill Dory assuming everything hits, and that's not taking into account his ability to heal on the castle gate...

Yeah well it only seems that way because you have short term memory loss. If I bait him into using this every other turn I can minimise the amount of potential crits Lance needs to face...

I won't even complain about this, he needs all the luck he can get. If only he could have gotten one more support conversation today, either Roy or Lot would have given him 5 more crit avoid...

Now to play the critical avoid slots for the next few turns. It's better to do it this way even if he heals HP during the time Lance backtracks to bait out his Hand Axe, the amount he heals is lower than the damage Lance can do every other turn.

Hahaha! A crit! Yessss! Boy am I sure glad I only ever get these and the enemy never does. Truly St Elimine favours me.

Lance must be a divine agent sent from up above to guide this LP to success no matter the odds. Compared to his averages he's got +1.2 HP, +0.6 STR, -2.95 SKL, +1.5 SPD, +0.15 LCK, +1.8 DEF, and -0.65 RES. That might not seem like a lot, but that extra speed and defense is putting in a huge amount of work.

I think that could have gone better. It also could have gone worse! Had Lance died against Dory I would have had to use Marcus, and if he had died my best bet would have been Roy. I don't think either of them would have been able to put out enough damage before the inevitable crit...

I think it's been long enough since the start that I can post a reminder of everyone's stats. It helps that there's now 4 less images I need to post than I would have before! Hahaha...

This is my A team now. I've got a Roy who can survive a single round on the front line, Marcus, Lance who is quickly becoming Marcus 2.0, and Lot who's doing pretty well but could not carry an army on his own. These are, at least for a while, the only decent combat units I'm going to have. Next chapter I'll be getting two very underleveled bow users and a healer with no weapons... It's really not looking great.

Elen is now 1 point of magic ahead and a couple of staff uses of WEXP above what Saul will join with, but I'll probably be using the two of them now Clarine is gone. In theory she might be able to build enough luck that she could become a decent dodge tank, but in practice that's not happening with her 20% speed growth.

And then there's Chad plus two guys who at this point aren't good for much but being bait to distract from units I'd rather keep alive. It's too late for Bors to level up enough to catch up to the enemies he already started behind, and Wolt's going to be outclassed by the two bow users who will be joining next chapter... And also he sucks. I mean sure he'd suck less if he got levels better than HP + Skill which is partly down to bad luck, but I do regret rating him higher than Bors who was actually useful in chapters 2 and 3.

Are they here to pray for me and my army?

The Fire Emblem is a key to open a lock? Hmm... I think I remember something...

Of course! We had it the entire time. I hope it's still in my inventory.

Next time: help

I feel like this would be a good time to make a shoutout to the excellent vilkacis and their amazing edits of all my casualties as ghosts... And also to say please don't feel obliged to have to make art of them all. There might be a lot of them...

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

It's really interesting seeing how the fan-based and modern interpretation of FE as "reset whenever someone dies" have truly rusted things such as basic strategy skills. The problem with making people actually care about their units. At the same time seeing the game being played as it was originally intended is interesting. Maybe you'll be forced to use Sophia and Niime as your main units!

That said that was a bloodbath, if this keeps going like that Roy is gonna get a lust for blood and start taking donations to kill certain units.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
and so the spiral begins

RIP to Dieck or Deke, my usual muscleman of choice

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

It's really interesting seeing how the fan-based and modern interpretation of FE as "reset whenever someone dies" have truly rusted things such as basic strategy skills. The problem with making people actually care about their units. At the same time seeing the game being played as it was originally intended is interesting. Maybe you'll be forced to use Sophia and Niime as your main units!

I've always found it a bit odd the "reset all the time" is the main way to play, but Ironman runs like these are what originally made me find the series so I've just got warped expectations, I guess. It does let you see all the content you could possibly miss, but the emergent story of the playthrough doesn't land as hard and I guess that's what I'm around for. Sure, you can still wow over a god-unit, but those happen every run. I'm talking about the characters who should've died many times over or tales of units going out in a blaze of glory like banana kid.

I dunno, maybe this explains why I tend to play the older ones a lot more, they're just better suited to this kind of gameplay.

(Although, for some reason I do Lunatic/Maddening in these games exclusively as no deaths, just so I can't sacrifice units. It's very painful would not recommend)

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014
Oh my God, I've never seen a run go like this before. This'll either be a very short run, or an incredibly exciting one.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Okay, so I'm sure you were pretty tilted by the end there, but like, you do know you could have used rescue chains to pull Lance out of range every turn and force the boss to keep the hand axe equipped, right?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Goodness, that was quite a disaster. Looking forward to Lance's death due to negligence next chapter!

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Oh god, forget losing Rutger, you lost the entire power trio. And Shanna too. Thankfully Roy can get Klein, otherwise that'd be both Klein and Tate too. This is gonna be... well, something now.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
That was a good map, for content lol

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Guess we're going to Sacae later on, huh?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That looks like it really hurt. I'm usually fine with taking a loss or two but this would be an immediate restart after Thany got offed.

Speaking of,haven't seen this game in a long time, is this a new "official" translation widely accepted as the superior one?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Cattail Prophet posted:

Okay, so I'm sure you were pretty tilted by the end there, but like, you do know you could have used rescue chains to pull Lance out of range every turn and force the boss to keep the hand axe equipped, right?

Was about to post just this after reading the update.

anilEhilated posted:

That looks like it really hurt. I'm usually fine with taking a loss or two but this would be an immediate restart after Thany got offed.

Speaking of,haven't seen this game in a long time, is this a new "official" translation widely accepted as the superior one?

Thany is useful if you're speeding through the story, not so much if you're intentionally going slow. The real loss here is Rutger.

... I'm sure chapter 7 will go swimmingly.

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 30, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This is going how my first playthrough of Sacred Stones did. Half the army wiped out, limping along on grinding missions replacing losses with fresh blood

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

This is going how my first playthrough of Sacred Stones did. Half the army wiped out, limping along on grinding missions replacing losses with fresh blood

I love sacred stones but like...hmmm. first playthru huh, did you perhaps not use seth bc you thought he was a jeigan?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

mandatory lesbian posted:

I love sacred stones but like...hmmm. first playthru huh, did you perhaps not use seth bc you thought he was a jeigan?

I didn't know a lot of things about FE at the time lmao

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015
That was...messy. And also really unfortunate with regards to Rutger. 10-ish percent true hit chance into losing a coin toss. And as someone else said, losing Clarine also makes recruiting Klein...complicated, and getting Tate downright painful. You're gonna really want that Elysian Whip and you're gonna have a hell of a time getting it. Now let's see, which chapter is next...? Ah, right, Wagner. That's...well, the map itself should be doable but I think you can forget about the optional objectives.

And technically you don't HAVE to go to Sacae. Sue isn't particularly great, so as long as you delay Shin's promotion a bit (or kill him but we kinda need to fill gaps at this point), keeping Tate ahead of them isn't really that tall an order. Peg Knights>Nomads any day.

I don't think I've ever even tried Sacae on Normal, let alone Hard. I've seen the maps, they look horrifically obnoxious and I don't want to do them. Blech.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Goddamn! That was incredibly bloody for such an unimportant feeling chapter. And you lost Shanna so i'm sad now. Let this horrifying amalgamation of their souls be a constant reminder of your deeds :ghost:

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

the fan-based and modern interpretation of FE as "reset whenever someone dies"

Nah, people have been playing it that way forever and i'm pretty sure even the devs admitted to doing it (though it's admittedly second-hand info). It's been over 10 years since they implemented casual mode so you don't have to reset to keep characters.

Odd Wilson posted:

I've always found it a bit odd the "reset all the time" is the main way to play

People get attached to their characters and/or stat blocks :shrug:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
In my reverse recruitment run I got a game over because Karel got hit on two 22% displayed hits, which comes out to just about a 1% chance, so I feel your pain with Rutger here.

That was a real bloodbath, though, yikes! Will be interesting to see how you recover from this over the next few chapters. This is rapidly becoming The Lance Show™.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
And to think, I was worried about you losing one unit every chapter.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

DeTosh posted:

And to think, I was worried about you losing one unit every chapter.

TBF FE6's cast is so huge that that would actually be pretty sustainable. Four a chapter is... less so.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Oh god that's not just 4 dead units but four of the best units in the game all wiped out in one chapter. :shepface:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Oh god that's not just 4 dead units but four of the best units in the game all wiped out in one chapter. :shepface:

Can't be that good if they're dead :grin:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

At least you still have Marcus. And Wolt. :)

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
time for Wolt and Dorothy to shine

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Lilina no longer has a frontline, unless you use the armor triangle.
... you have to use the armor triangle at this point due up lack of good units right? Oh no.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Eeepies posted:

Lilina no longer has a frontline, unless you use the armor triangle.
... you have to use the armor triangle at this point due up lack of good units right? Oh no.

I doubt it'll happen. It's kinda too late to level up Bors without some Major babysitting.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
If you think it’s too late to level Bors, then Wendy never has a chance ever.

The next map is honestly a reasonable opportunity to level Bors, the enemy stat drop helps and there’s no axe users. Just be careful about the mages, though Marcus with a Javelin handles them if you need to.

I actually had to restart since I lost Roy on the next map (oops). Current run I lost Thany earlier due to careless placement and Saul on the next map due to the same turn reinforcements and Saul dodging nothing.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Can't wait for Marcus and Roy to be the only ones alive by the time we reach the endgame.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You are not going to finish this game.

(Play Project Ember, for people thinking of playing along. God it's way better. 3 range archers!! Wing Spears!)

Bogart fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 1, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bogart posted:

(Play Project Ember, for people thinking of playing along. God it's way better. 3 range archers!! Wing Spears!)

I believe in

*squints*

Lot

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Bogart posted:

To be fair, the only person they've lost so far that was a major blow has been Rutgers. If they can limp forward for another few maps they'll start getting to some real powerhouses and a recovery won't be too bad. We're past the double of hard mode bonuses being at their most effective and doubled at least.

The big issue is that the units are hand are.... a little short on the frontliner side of things

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
The existence of the Armor Triangle Attack means it's not _that_ hard to get Gwendolyn caught up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still miss the old GBA sprites btw

The 3d models on 3DS looked like crap (Awakening was fun though) and it's just a lot more lifeless