Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm not sure it'd generate the 6+ votes needed for that option to win, but I definitely can.

Octatonic posted:

I just voted for the lone wolf on this suggestion. There may be posters even worse than me who might be similarly swayed

:respek: It's looking like it's within five now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I voted for Free Trade because I like seeing money for nothing.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Company name suggestion if we go with Free Trader:
Quality Security Products LTD

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

i have a question about the empty suit:
"Corporate HQ may force the company to take a contract with little compensation or to travel to a corporate holding"

is this basically hairbrained BT travel contracts, in reverse? they schedule you a plane ticket at company rates, (and pay for transit expenses if they -have to-), but its worse than the freedom you'd have negotiating yourself?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

is this basically hairbrained BT travel contracts, in reverse? they schedule you a plane ticket at company rates, (and pay for transit expenses if they -have to-), but its worse than the freedom you'd have negotiating yourself?

Pretty much.

"Hey, we need you to go to Towne and murder some pirates. You can keep what you kill but this is the whole reason we created this unit so you're doing it."

smdvogrin
Mar 8, 2019

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Hitotsume Kozo's only real flaw is that, even though it has TSM, it doesn't have an overheat value so it has no way to reliably activate it.

Are you not using the Deliberate Overheating rule? (ASCE, pg 53) Normally, activating TSM without having an OV value is as easy as saying "I gain one heat" during an end phase.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

smdvogrin posted:

Are you not using the Deliberate Overheating rule? (ASCE, pg 53) Normally, activating TSM without having an OV value is as easy as saying "I gain one heat" during an end phase.

I must've missed that one.

I never picked up Commander's Edition since I had Alpha Strike and the companion and figured it hadn't added anything. It's probably a companion rule I missed.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Voted for Freebooter. Who needs air power when you have a Fortress and can recreate Operation Gotterdammerung?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Pretty much.

"Hey, we need you to go to Towne and murder some pirates. You can keep what you kill but this is the whole reason we created this unit so you're doing it."

Nice. i actually like this.

Scripted missions and some off-world office arranging cargo runs FOR us sounds great. My heart's in free trader, but this is th underdog vote so:

the empty suit.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 18, 2022

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I voted Free Trader because i like the idea of having to manage resources on a potentially hostile planet while waiting for the boss to stop doing fetch quests in another system.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
@PTN, are you adjusting the TMMs of things during the conversion to hexes? Hammerheads are normally TMM 2 (unmodified card here).

PoptartsNinja posted:

I must've missed that one.

I never picked up Commander's Edition since I had Alpha Strike and the companion and figured it hadn't added anything. It's probably a companion rule I missed.

It's errata that was added (I like to believe) partly because I bitched about it loudly and visibly that using a melee attack automatically reduced your heat to zero since it wasn't a "weapon" attack and made every TSM 'Mech in the game near-useless even if they did have an OV. :v:

I voted for The Lone Wolf because I really enjoy Dark Age Clan interactions with the Inner Sphere they've been part of for almost a hundred years. This option seems like it's tailor-made for the CO to 'go native' or end up tangled up in a web of confusing loyalty markers depending on how the whole ilClan thing goes.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

@PTN, are you adjusting the TMMs of things during the conversion to hexes?
I just hastily bumped it down to 5 and it auto-adjusted the TMM without my noticing. I've got my own cards made up so that won't be an issue.

Strobe posted:

This option seems like it's tailor-made for the CO to 'go native' or end up tangled up in a web of confusing loyalty markers depending on how the whole ilClan thing goes.
That's pretty much exactly it, yeah. I think this option would be the most fun to write content for but it's certainly a bit more challenging since it doesn't have an economic safety net.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The only other thing I'd have wanted to really see explored that wasn't in the options presented was a Jade Falcons solahma/garrison/cadet Trinary that fucks off into parts unknown when the occupation zone starts to disintegrate that doesn't (necessarily) end up with either the JFR or ALM. I might write that up if I get a minute but it's a bit late to be a factor in voting.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zurai posted:

The Dropship names are all great, but Our Lady of Perpetual Fire Support is S-tier.

Came to post exactly this. Saw it and went :drat:

Voting (in the straw poll) for Freebooter as well! If we can set ourselves up as a little bandit kingdom, who's to say we shouldn't?

E: actually came here to post that I am EXTREMELY here for Battletech thread 2: Mercenaries

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 18, 2022

Amhazair
Feb 13, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

I think this option would be the most fun to write content for

Sold. Voting Lone Wolf.

For those of us whose BT knowledge comes almost exclusively from the previous threads: This is the canon starting situation at the current point of the canon timeline, right? No rewriting of history has been going on here?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Amhazair posted:

This is the canon starting situation at the current point of the canon timeline, right? No rewriting of history has been going on here?

Correct.

We're up to 50 votes, which is way more than I was expecting for the initial commander choice. I'll probably be calling the vote around Noon MST today so I can finish the starting warrior / 'Mech roster and get the first downtime ready.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 18, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How canon was Mechassault 2 ultimately :v:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Correct.

We're up to 50 votes, which is way more than I was expecting for the initial commander choice. I'll probably be calling the vote around Noon MST today so I can finish the starting warrior / 'Mech roster and get the first downtime ready.

You underestimate the popularity of your LPs

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Strobe posted:

I voted for The Lone Wolf because I really enjoy Dark Age Clan interactions with the Inner Sphere they've been part of for almost a hundred years. This option seems like it's tailor-made for the CO to 'go native' or end up tangled up in a web of confusing loyalty markers depending on how the whole ilClan thing goes.

Amhazair posted:

Sold. Voting Lone Wolf.

For those of us whose BT knowledge comes almost exclusively from the previous threads: This is the canon starting situation at the current point of the canon timeline, right? No rewriting of history has been going on here?

Alright, well, I guess I missed the strawpoll -anyway- with the in thread voting so..

lone wolf has my support too. If a clan pov is good enough for mechwarior 2, its good enough for the thread, and I don't know dark age stuff at all so it seems ripe for tall takes and dirty deeds done cheap affordably.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

How canon was Mechassault 2 ultimately :v:

5-10%? The Word of Blake Jihad actually happened and Wolf's Dragoons really did get really messed up by the Wobbie-backed Waco Rangers.

Captain Wolf Mechwarrior and his team never existed though.

Edit: Neither did Jerome Blake's five Cyber Planet Keys. Or the giant spider robot. Or the giant half-finished terminator the Wobbies stole from Contra.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 18, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PoptartsNinja posted:

5-10%? The Word of Blake Jihad actually happened and Wolf's Dragoons really did get really messed up by the Wobbie-backed Waco Rangers.

Captain Wolf Mechwarrior and his team never existed though.

Lol

The only part of it I honestly even remember is "Word of Blake", which I didn't realize was a big deal until I put two and two together with Battletech mods and slowly remembering what happened in MW4 and Mercs.

As long as I can still get a Uziel with Gauss Rifles I'll take it

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

thatbastardken posted:

I voted Free Trader because i like the idea of having to manage resources on a potentially hostile planet while waiting for the boss to stop doing fetch quests in another system.

Exactly what I was thinking with my vote for Free Trader

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
PM'ing for a pilot, yeah boi

Downtime though... cue 5000 word elaborate plans relying on complex lateral thinking and pyschological response assumptions from the NPCs. It's like the Aurora LP threads, everyone becomes Gen. Ripper and starts slapping harpoons on zodiacs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

El Spamo posted:

PM'ing for a pilot, yeah boi

Downtime though... cue 5000 word elaborate plans relying on complex lateral thinking and pyschological response assumptions from the NPCs. It's like the Aurora LP threads, everyone becomes Gen. Ripper and starts slapping harpoons on zodiacs.

Spend more on Urbies

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

RBA Starblade posted:

Spend more on Urbies

Jackalopes, we need more jackalopes

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

RBA Starblade posted:

Spend more on Urbies

LRM ammo: 200cbills
Comstar data package: 150cbills
Fuel: 400cbills
Urbanmechs: 3600 cbills
Spare parts: 300cbills

Someone who is good at the economy, help, my mercenary company is starving

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There is a way to make the UrbanMech incredibly dangerous in Alpha Strike.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
C'mon don't tease, show the class

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

PoptartsNinja posted:

There is a way to make the UrbanMech incredibly dangerous in Alpha Strike.

is it by convincing the other side to field them

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
A 2 point investment into the Marksman SPA. Since they're probably not going to do more than one damage anyway and they're too slow to get a TMM, you might as well hold position and try for a through-armor crit.

This is also the same way you can make massed Panthers scary.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

El Spamo posted:

LRM ammo: 200cbills
Comstar data package: 150cbills
Fuel: 400cbills
Urbanmechs: 3600 cbills
Spare parts: 300cbills

Someone who is good at the economy, help, my mercenary company is starving

Buy fewer Urbies

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Slaan posted:

Buy fewer Urbies

No

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm not sure it'd generate the 6+ votes needed for that option to win, but I definitely can.

Octatonic posted:

I just voted for the lone wolf on this suggestion. There may be posters even worse than me who might be similarly swayed

Chronojam posted:

:respek: It's looking like it's within five now!

Two now :haw:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I was going to call it so I could start working on the roster, but it looks like the vote has tied.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

PoptartsNinja posted:

I was going to call it so I could start working on the roster, but it looks like the vote has tied.

I tried to break the tie (despite commenting earlier I hadn't voted), but it looks like I failed and re-tied it instead.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If it stays tied, I'll come up with something.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

It has remained a tie, so it's time for me to get creative.

If anyone can absorb the upkeep cost of starting with an XO, it's the Free Trader.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 18, 2022

smdvogrin
Mar 8, 2019

Nick Buntline posted:

is it by convincing the other side to field them

I mean, the nice thing about Alpha Strike is that it's so simplified that you genuinely get what you pay for - the costs are mathematically generated based on the stats. Sure, the Urbie is pretty crappy, but the base -R60 costs 11 points, which is about what you pay for a unit of infantry that can reliably do 1 point of damage (a jump infantry (laser) platoon, in fact costs exactly the same 11 points).

In one of my friend's first games, he brought 5 Urbies as a joke (was testing his 3D printer). They were surprisingly effective as an initiative sink (even when he lost initiative, he basically won initiative, because nobody cared where the Urbies were moving to), and as ablative distractions. And all 5 together cost less than his Skill 2 Mad Cat.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

It makes sense to have a reliable field commander to handle business while the boss off hauling fish

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
She's also a relatively clean face to the outside to keep the Clanner/merc/clanner-merc stink off of the company