Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Are you gonna mix and match their starting units as well, or stick with the Free Trader list?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
If she dies, is it still automatic game over?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Rorahusky posted:

Are you gonna mix and match their starting units as well, or stick with the Free Trader list?

Free Trader was in the lead longer, so we're getting the Free Trader list and Raniya's personal 'Mech is getting a slight downgrade.

Volmarias posted:

If she dies, is it still automatic game over?

It is not.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ivan Drago rules, excellent

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Since Free Trader was in the lead for 95% of the vote, I figured that was the group of 'Mechs people were most interested in and they were only tempted by my promise of story potential, so keeping the option for story potential while letting people see the Black Knight 'mechs they want was fair.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I know the vote has concluded (and I don't understand BattleTech at all so I have no real opinion on whose mechanics are best), but I just wanted to say I love the flagship name Our Lady of Perpetual Fire Support.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It has remained a tie, so it's time for me to get creative.

If anyone can absorb the upkeep cost of starting with an XO, it's the Free Trader.

headcanon Mashup mode:

The free trader and the clan reformist met up, and helped each other out. The trader saw a mech they had to buy -

turns out the Xo's ride is a HUGE hangar queen and they (got conned) into paying for like, vip quarters.

Thats where all the cargo space went.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol

The only part of it I honestly even remember is "Word of Blake", which I didn't realize was a big deal until I put two and two together with Battletech mods and slowly remembering what happened in MW4 and Mercs.

As long as I can still get a Uziel with Gauss Rifles I'll take it

A Gauss rifle is 15 tons. An Uziel has 23 tons for weapons. So you need something either much bigger or much slower, but in general it's easier to think of MechAssault as a kid that was taught all the wrong names for colors and shapes and just leave it at that.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

A Regulan Captain and Clan Wolf XO walk into a bar. There were no survivors.

This should be fun.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Akratic Method posted:

I know the vote has concluded (and I don't understand BattleTech at all so I have no real opinion on whose mechanics are best), but I just wanted to say I love the flagship name Our Lady of Perpetual Fire Support.

Same, how people could not vote for that flagship :iiam:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Xarn posted:

Same, how people could not vote for that flagship :iiam:

Right, I feel robbed,

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Defiance Industries posted:

A Gauss rifle is 15 tons. An Uziel has 23 tons for weapons. So you need something either much bigger or much slower, but in general it's easier to think of MechAssault as a kid that was taught all the wrong names for colors and shapes and just leave it at that.

I think you can make it work with Clan or Light Gauss and moving 5/8, but it's not good at all no matter what you do at that point.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You definitely need to drop it to 5/8, even with LGR and losing the entire payload, you're a ton short before ammo. And once you start adjusting the engine you probably should just find a different ride, you're making a ton of unnecessary work for your technicians.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You definitely need to drop it to 5/8, even with LGR and losing the entire payload, you're a ton short before ammo. And once you start adjusting the engine you probably should just find a different ride, you're making a ton of unnecessary work for your technicians.

But how am I supposed to erase Atlas kneecaps without them? :v:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You'd need more than two Gauss rifles to do that anyway. 41 armor per leg. You need a pair of iHGRs just to get through the armor.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Command BattleMech quirk normally only applies to initiative, but I dislike quirks that do nothing at all. So, for the sake of added fun in the LP, I'm adding another little house rule/modification:

Quirk: Command BattleMech Counts as any applicable 'Mech type in a Command Lance, regardless of its actual type.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You'd need more than two Gauss rifles to do that anyway. 41 armor per leg. You need a pair of iHGRs just to get through the armor.

I can't believe MechAssault lied to me about this

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
After some more thinking:

SPA: Tactical Genius is no longer banned. A unit piloted by a Tactical Genius counts as any required 'Mech type to form a Command Lance, regardless of its actual type. A Command 'Mech piloted by a Tactical Genius can always form a Command Lance regardless of the lance's actual composition.

I think this is a fair way to keep Tactical Genius useful, since Command Lances are a pretty decent generalist lance type and only one Command Lance can be fielded per side.

SPA: Combat Intuition is no longer banned. A unit with Combat Intuition applies its damage to the target immediately rather than simultaneously, and can eliminate targets before they can fire, but also attacks before other player units.

I think this keeps Combat Intuition's niche as a way to eliminate dangerous or heavily damaged enemies if an attack on the previous turn falls through.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 20, 2022

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Since Free Trader was in the lead for 95% of the vote, I figured that was the group of 'Mechs people were most interested in and they were only tempted by my promise of story potential, so keeping the option for story potential while letting people see the Black Knight 'mechs they want was fair.

:bisonyes:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Oh boy, that new thread smell.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I am gonna miss that wonderful alternate timeline we've been creating

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, I finally got Reinhardt Steiner on the throne and he didn't ever get to unleash his full fury and massacre a Clan.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
Sure, the focus won't be jumping around, but isn't this still the PTN-verse timeline? I'm terrible with keeping track of which name goes where and who everyone is so I don't actually know.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

No, that is the 3151 map

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

All I know is that I signed up and am excited to play in a PTN game!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Downtime 1 – 1
Dropship Cargo 5 barter generated
Special Consideration Upkeep cost waved for first downtime

Narrative
Steam hissed from vents on the bridge of the Bought and Paid For as the huge Overlord-class ship came to rest and began pumping in outside air and replacing air grown stale from weeks spent in space. The hull vibrated as hydraulics pulled the ship’s cargo hatches open and deployed the boarding ramps, but the feeling was muted. The far larger Mechbay doors had been left closed for the time being. It wasn’t unusual for a big, heavily-armed ‘Mech carrier to be used for hauling cargo. An Overlord-class wasn’t the most efficient cargo hauler, but they were big and comfortable ships to crew and few pirates would be brave enough to engage one. They’d arrived with what may be the Republic of the Sphere’s last shipping contract: parts and technical supplies earmarked for helping the New Earth Trading Company rebuild.

It wasn’t a huge cargo, and by itself would’ve left the Bought and Paid For two-thirds empty. It wasn’t a given that Shahrazad would be hauling ‘Mechs with the remaining space, but the Port Authority would be curious and in Shahrazad Honeysong’s experience it never paid to play with one’s entire hand face-up on the table.

“We’re going to need a name, Captain.” Raniya Wolf wasn’t a spacer, and lounged in an engineer’s chair with their boots resting on the console. “’Honeysong Armed Trading Company’ may work for a cargo hauler, but if you’re going to successfully break into the mercenary market we’re going to need something with a bit more flair. You’re not a warrior, so trust me: our mercs need a name can announce with pride when they brag to the locals in the spaceport’s bars.”

“I’m still thinking about it,” Shahrazad replied after relaying an order to the cargo team leaders to admit the local customs team. “Weissmuller, have you patched into the port authority’s local net? New Earth is still Republic controlled, so we should have all the right handshakes already.”

“Working on it, Captain.”

“Negotiating a mercenary contract is a bit different from your usual cargo hauling. Don’t count on us landing a garrison contract right out the gate,” Raniya drawled. “Or ever, honestly. Nobody’s paying mercs to sit around on guard duty for years anymore. It’ll be bandit hunting; corporate “espionage”—that is: smash-and-grab raids; maybe we’ll get lucky and there’ll be a Republic remnant contract to mop up some dissidents or a Wolf contract to soften up the Republic’s forces a bit. No matter what, there’ll be combat for sure and people will hold grudges. There should be plenty of room to make money and move on before the locals start to hate us.”

Raniya continued, “Just be really careful about Pirate Extermination contracts. Spheroids are kinda vague about their definitions, but it’s much clearer for the Clans: bandits are local, pirates are interstellar. Bandit hunting is easy, wiping out an entire pirate band is a lot harder.”

“Feed’s coming in now, Captain!”

“Right,” Raniya stood, leaving Shahrazad to handle the details. “I’ll go mingle with the rank and file. Try to find us something good.”

Local Conditions
Current Planet New Earth
Controlling Polity: Republic of the Sphere (remnant)
Local Authority Opinion: Positive
Contract Quality: Low
Dispossessed Mechwarrior Availability: Moderate
Shop Availability:
Available BattleMechs:
KHP-7R Kheper (Size 2 Brawler, bad reputation) [12b], UAE-7R Uraeus (Size 3 Brawler, bad reputation) [14b], EXC-B2 Excalibur (Size 3 Skirmisher) [19b], TR-XB Trebaruna (Size 4 Sniper) [24b],
Available Vehicles:
Zephyr Hovertank (Size 2 Striker, 2 available) [18b/pair], V7 Vedette Medium Tank (Size 2 Brawler, 2 available)[10b/pair], Myrmidon Medium Tank (Size 2 Skirmisher) [12b/pair]
Available BattleArmor:
None
Available AeroSpace Fighters:
None

Random Event(s)
Idonea Ishikawa spat a wad of chewing gum down the open cargo ramp. She lost sight of it, but she was pretty sure it’d landed on the ferrocrete landing pad. She was out, and made a note to pick up some of the local flavors at the spaceport’s duty free shop.

“Primer gray,” Ma’akhah Sciarra groused as they glared at a passing customs agent. “This sucks. Techs still won’t let me paint up my Valkyrie.”

“Ain’t your Valkyrie,” Idonea answered as she stared out across the spaceport’s tarmac. “It all belongs to the company. ‘Least for now. A decade from now, and once you’ve wracked up some decent cockpit time and a respectable kill count, they may sell it to you if you decide it’s time to retire.”

“Still bothers me that it’s all primer,” Ma’akhah grimaced. After a moment, he called out, “Hey Commander! Raniya! All the primer makes us look like trainee rookie idiots. We still got our pride! Please ask the boss to let us should paint ‘em up fearsome! Y’know you want t’see a company all black and red like the Wolf’s Dragoons.”

“Or at least pick something crisp and professional,” Idonea partially agreed, and added her own suggestion to the shouted demand. “Like green and brown, or urban gray-on-gray.”

Raniya nodded, “It bothers me, too. I’ll see what I can do.”

Random Event Vote
- Primary Color suggestion
- Secondary Color suggestion (could be the same as the primary, but I’d prefer at least two tones)
- Tertiary Color suggestion (could be helpful if we wind up with a lot of duplicate ‘Mechs)

Since this is our first-ever downtime, I figured I’d throw together an example Action Plan. I won’t be suggesting action plans on following turns, these are the most important form of thread participation so it's up to you to suggest a course of action. The Action Plan Template and current unit roster are here.

Sample Action Plan
Major Downtime Action
- Recruit

We don’t have enough warriors to keep up a reasonable combat cycle, much less train. We probably need a minimum of 18 warriors for combat and training and will probably want at least 24.

Buying some vehicles and deploying them without commanders on easy missions could be beneficial, but we can’t afford anything right now. New Earth sells a couple of ‘Mechs with bad reputations, which means they can be bought for significantly less than they’re actually worth. Picking up a Kheper or even better a Uraeus could be a significant boost in the company’s combat potential—provided you can tolerate the stigma.

A strong argument could be made to perform Combat Drills, since that improves the local contract payouts and could let us hire some staff in addition to recruiting warriors, but I’ll leave that for the thread to suggest.

Units and Warriors reserved for Combat
Lance 1
This will be a command lance, it meets the requirements even without taking the Black Knight’s Command BattleMech quirk into account. Kym’s “Human TRO” special should make her valuable in a dedicated scout.
- Unit 1: BL-18-KNT Black Knight
- Warrior: Idonea “Ironsides” Ishikawa (Acting Field Leader)
- Unit 2: Vindicator
- Warrior: Draganov “Taboo” Tarou
- Unit 3: TBT-7M Trebuchet
- Warrior: Xue “Cherry Bomb” Mikhailov
- Unit 4: FS9-M2 Firestarter
- Warrior: Kym “Shotel”

Lance 2
Since this unit is made up entirely of Strikers, this will be a Light Cavalry Lance, giving them some bonus mobility. Raniya is really better leading a Striker lance where she can take advantage of her Blood Stalker and Headhunter specials.
- Unit 1: Stormwolf Prime
- Warrior: Raniya Wolf
- Unit 2: Wolfhound
- Warrior: Alexander “Drake” Drake
- Unit 3: Jackalope #1
- Warrior: Joaquim “Funnelweb” Appeldoorn
- Unit 4: Jackalope #2
- Warrior: Taonga “High Voltage” Noyer

Lance 3
This lance meets the requirements to form a Scout Lance, giving the controlling player a few options to make it better. It only stays a scout lance if the controlling player is able to keep the Locusts intact. Bugbear’s Cluster Hitter SPA makes the Valkyrie more dangerous
- Unit 1: SHD-6D Shadow Hawk
- Warrior: Irene “Weasel” Gao
- Unit 2: Valkyrie
- Warrior: Ma’akhah “Bugbear” Sciarra
- Unit 3: Locust #1
- Warrior: Bronislaw “Chili” Karstensen
- Unit 4: Locust #2
- Warrior: Peyton “Indiana” Zaal

Although it’s tougher than the Locusts, the Razorback is being left out. It could be swapped in in place of one of the Locusts, but the Scout Lance would become an untyped generic lance instead. With some shuffling the thread could field two Cavalry lances instead, but I’ll leave that to the thread to suggest.

Warriors Training
- Orion “Frost” Richelieu

I’m having Orion sit out and train since they’re the only other Mechwarrior who can handle the Black Knight and getting them a little XP should be helpful in the long term.

Unassigned Warriors
- N/A

Fired Staff
- N/A

Experience Expenditures
- N/A

Repairs, Rebuilds, and Upgrades
- N/A

Selling Salvage or ‘Mechs
- N/A

Random Event Vote
I won’t answer this one, it’s up to the thread

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 29, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

quote:

- Primary Color suggestion
- Secondary Color suggestion (could be the same as the primary, but I’d prefer at least two tones)
- Tertiary Color suggestion (could be helpful if we wind up with a lot of duplicate ‘Mechs)

- Cyan
- Yellow
- Magenta

Each kill tally mark done in Black :unsmigghh:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Primary: C-bill green
Secondary: Profit chart black
Tertiary: Stock ticker feed yellow

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Design:
Primary Color Brown
Secondary Color Gold

Emblem shape Badge

Action Plan
Recruit staff, we need more bodies to set up a meaningful training regimen

Actually everything in that example/suggestion looks good to me, truth be told

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Im suggesting wasp colors. Yellow on black with electric blue or emerald green for tertiary. We should deinately rectuit. And is that 12 billion for a pair of myrmidons?

Stravag fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 21, 2022

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

- Cyan
- Yellow
- Magenta

This, but only if it's also dazzle camo. Who cares if it's all done by computer lock-on, making it difficult to look at your mech is still technically a tactical advantage.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Stravag posted:

Im suggesting wasp colors. Yellow on black with electric blue or emerald green for tertiary. We should deinately rectuit. And is that 12 billion for a pair of myrmidons?

while I still like my Space UPS suggestion, this Space Caterpillar idea is cool and good too, IMHO

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Stravag posted:

is that 12 billion for a pair of myrmidons?

12 barter

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Ok that makes WAY more sense thanks

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Company Name: Stompers R Us

colour scheme: blue, yellow, white highlights

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Honeysong Armed Trading Company’ may work for a cargo hauler, but if you’re going to successfully break into the mercenary market we’re going to need something with a bit more flair. You’re not a warrior, so trust me: our mercs need a name can announce with pride

Company Name: Age of Sale

Primary color: money green (I am not sold on this color, it is a joke)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

You wanna get meta with it, then this old chestnut is still apropo: Hired Goons

Otherwise, how about Wolf Pack in red and black, reversing the old Dragoon colors. Red where they were black, black where they were red. We remember the history, but we're a new thing.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I've an inkling of an action plan but have a few questions!

Are there other actions besides Train/Deploy for pilots to take? ('m sorta trying to figure out what the hard worker spa is FOR/what you can do with it.)

How are warrior hires handled? Pay parter to pick the one you want; then upkeep is based on slots on chart? Is, moving into 'column 2' would add 1 barter to upkeep?
command staff hires the same way, and do they earn xp, or is that only a warrior thing?

Do we need to spend a downtime action to look for missions/contracts, or is this a 'just ask' +/- 'might be influenced by downtime, so its easier to do it at once'?

Is there a shorthand for lance types, bonusesthings for those unfamiliar with alpha strike? do they matter a lot, or can you just throw whatever mechs you like together?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Volmarias posted:

- Cyan
- Yellow
- Magenta

TheParadigm posted:

Company Name: Age of Sale

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sample Action Plan
Major Downtime Action
- Recruit

It's Battletech, I have no shame about harvesting the parts from other posts into a frankenmech. :colbert:

Jossar fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Slaan posted:

Primary: C-bill green
Secondary: Profit chart black
Tertiary: Stock ticker feed yellow

:same: