Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Big fan of green over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Oh do the green, let's embrace the vintage look for those readouts at least.

Are you doing this in excel?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Chronojam posted:

Are you doing this in excel?

Yeah

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I think the green pops more and is more readable.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It feels almost criminal to use so much space for an OpForce unit, but that's about as small as I can make the paper doll and still have it line up with Excel's cells.

Edit: I mean, I'm going to use a ton of space for weapons systems regardless.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 18, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

That looks pretty good to me!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The off-sheet bit for fudging the armor is fun, too, even if it means the armor values will change erratically until the target's fully identified.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

"Sir, the armor values are showing up as mad/cat"

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I find the green unreadable on my phone unless zoomed in (and with difficulty even then). Was there a problem with the old readouts? Those worked great!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Chronojam posted:

"Sir, the armor values are showing up as mad/cat"

:allears:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Z the IVth posted:

I find the green unreadable on my phone unless zoomed in (and with difficulty even then). Was there a problem with the old readouts? Those worked great!

Ah, I'll switch back to the black and white then.

Phone browsing isn't something I really take into account because I feel like everything would be "readable while zoomed and even then only with difficulty." It's just the nature of a game with numbered hex maps.

And no, there weren't any particular problems with the old layout, I just wanted something that was easier for me (the GM) to read quickly and nice for everyone else to look at.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Try black on white for the dark mode goodness, maybe bold the text going on the images?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ah, I'll switch back to the black and white then.

Phone browsing isn't something I really take into account because I feel like everything would be "readable while zoomed and even then only with difficulty." It's just the nature of a game with numbered hex maps.

And no, there weren't any particular problems with the old layout, I just wanted something that was easier for me (the GM) to read quickly and nice for everyone else to look at.

Yeah, it's definitely more of an inconvenience than a show stopper, but at a certain point it just becomes too wide.

If you can split the card into two separate images that you display side by side, then on screen sizes that wouldn't fit the whole thing they'll just move down to the next line. This would probably be a nice way to handle it. Generally, try not to exceed 800px in width.

I don't know how much effort it is to capture and slice these up with whatever dark excel magic you do; I'm guessing it's all manual, but if you can automate generating the picture for each part it would help. The card on the left side is actually pretty perfectly sized for my phone screen, so as long as you're not doing timgs in your posts, it would look great.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

When I said the green popped more, I was doing it from a phone. :shrug:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Same, I'm phoneposting most of the time I'm checking into this thread, and thought it looked great but definitely understand every display is different and green can be tricky to render/read

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Z the IVth posted:

That's odd, what phone do you have? I am almost always browsing in awful.app and the green theme looks fine to me.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Look as long as the readout is never in amber we’ll be fine

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The tank sheets are looking nice, too. Still need to decide how I'm going to do VTOLs, but the number of those available is surprisingly low. There're exactly five VTOLs available in the 3760s and they're all in use exclusively by the SLDF.

So maybe I won't bother making a VTOL sheet after all. That would put is a lot closer to ready to go even if I did reserve a spot on the vehicle sheet for altitude...

Edit: And yes, the weapons lists will roll off the end of the sheets as needed, so it'll look a little messier with combat vehicles that have a lot of armaments.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 25, 2023

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Aren't they all transports or spotters? I know the Warrior isn't invented until the genius heroes on Furillo will it into existence.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The SLDF doesn't have any particularly great VTOLs. They're all incredibly fragile, I don't think a single SLDF VTOL carries more than 3 tons of armor. The Nightshade is more of a night raider and the Cyrano isn't really a scout since it doesn't have the armor (or proper weaponry) to make any use of its beagle probe. The Cyrano's large laser is more of a threat to other scouts so it's basically a really fragile bug hunter. Edit: It's basically a flying Hussar.

The Cobra, Vector, and Ripper are all armed transports.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 25, 2023

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The SLDF wasn't big on armor, they knew they had an endless supply of human bodies to spend. And if they didn't spend this year's budget, how would they get a bigger one next year?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah, that's accurate.

It has been a challenge picking out four reasonable starter 'Mechs for the player lance.

Edit: As it stands one of them is getting a slight customization because why the gently caress does the Hoplite have 16 heat sinks? A stock Hoplite could take two engine hits and still never overheat. :psyduck:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 25, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ice Cold

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Some people just like to crank the AC

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

No not that AC, the other one

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Sixteen heat sinks keep the victory beers nice and cool.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Reactor: online. Sensors: online. Weapons: online. Kegerator: online. All systems nominal.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

The onboard ice cream maker's the only thing standing between us and open mutiny, it needs to stay functioning.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Runa posted:

No not that AC, the other one

Por que no los dos?

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
"When I said to order a new AC unit for the office, this is not what I meant!"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Since the SLDF was prone to running homogonous units, would that make a company of Hoplites an AC Company?

I'll see myself out.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, that's accurate.

It has been a challenge picking out four reasonable starter 'Mechs for the player lance.

Edit: As it stands one of them is getting a slight customization because why the gently caress does the Hoplite have 16 heat sinks? A stock Hoplite could take two engine hits and still never overheat. :psyduck:

maybe a thread Mech design activity while you straighten things out!

Whats iconic about star league/royal designs, anyway?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 26, 2023

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The Hoplite is about staying cool, and nothing is as cool as trading an AC10 for a snub nose ppc

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Since the SLDF was prone to running homogonous units, would that make a company of Hoplites an AC Company?

I'll see myself out.

Is there a Hoplite equipped with HVACs?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Any good DC Mechs that are AC heavy?

I guess I'm asking about AC/DC

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Gwaihir posted:

That's odd, what phone do you have? I am almost always browsing in awful.app and the green theme looks fine to me.

It's more like with the old excel readouts I could look at it with a glance and it all makes instant sense while the new one looks prettier but does a worse job of conveying information.

A comparison between a Web 3.0 and Web 1.0 page but maybe I'm just luddite.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Volmarias posted:

Any good DC Mechs that are AC heavy?

I guess I'm asking about AC/DC

Not that I can think of, they prefer to put PPCs on everything.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

They have designs like the mauler which have a bunch of light ACd but not a critical mass of them where it becomes good again. I think the tian zong was suppossed to have a couple heavy ACs on it but its a dark age design

Edit: wait i think that's capellan

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Tian Zong is definitely Capellan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah the only dc mechs with acs either have too few to be worth while or the one it does have is too light to be a serious threat so they just a waste of weight