Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I never really made the correlation until now, but it feels like sin's toxin is actually just a catch-all for mental health problems seen through the lens of people who have no concept of it. Sin just gets mixed into it because every time they show up it's a huge traumatic event.

Nah, Sin Toxin is a real thing in that universe. You can speak with a bunch of randos who suffer from it. It's specifically triggered by getting close to Sin and not all the other traumatic happenstances of that world.
Honestly though, it's just written as a neat way to protect Gooba& from the consequences of his stupid actions.
"No wait! You can't execute him for that heresy. You see, he has lost all sense of morality and faith due to Sin's Toxin"
Also it makes the party members have a sort of valid reason why they need to explain to him basic concepts like monsters to him, without having them buy into this stupid story about Zanarkand.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

disposablewords posted:

Let's see... Wakka... the other Aurochs who barely merit names... Wakka's dead brother...

There's also the dopey cop duo who might be gay. And technically old priest guys or Kimari.

So yeah, Yuna basically fell in love with the first person she didn't grow up with.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Nidoking posted:

One of the tropes I've been growing to really like in fiction is the member of royalty (usually a crown heir) who either disguises themself and mingles with the populace, or just meets somebody who doesn't know who they are and treats them like a normal person. I have to imagine that people who are used to being worshiped must really enjoy the chance to have a normal interaction with someone, and moreso a hint of a life where that's the norm.

That's actually a thing which did happened in history. A Chinese emporer (unfortunately I can't find out his name to look up details) ran around disguised as a regular person, got sick and was treated by some random peasant girl and grew close to her. Later on he came back and married her.
In a very convenient timing :nws: Today's Oglaf is also all about that trope. :nws:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The reason the Goers where visiting Kilika temple is that praying there is supposed to bring good luck for blitzball matches. Therefore they went there to mock everyone for doing that and totally not doing it themselves because they absolutely don't deem it necessary. They'd the best after all.

Fun fact, that team is actually the worst. Especially other longer time when levelling becomes a factor.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
You are going to kill the optional bosses, right?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
You do know how the Jecht shot works, right? It's absolutely broken, but you haven't actually shown off it's full use yet.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
EDIT: Okay. I'm not gonna spoil it then.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

GrandmaParty posted:

Probe everyone who refers to Gooba& as Tidus.

I agree.

Heads up, if you haven't been past that point yet: When you're at the ice temple, you really want to make sure not to miss out on that reward with the destruction sphere. Honestly, that part is a bit of a dick move from the game.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 7, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Akratic Method posted:

Started playing this again, and I generally wish they'd give you a heads up when you're leaving the Cloister of Trials. The Besaid one I just straight up didn't realize I was done with it and walked into the fayth chamber. As soon as the loading screen finished it was just "poo poo, that's right, this is really short. Wonder when I can get back in here for the treasure."

You actually can backtrack all the way to Besaid at this point in the story. I think it's possible after operation Mihen. That way it's possible to still get that thing in the temple. But after visiting Maccalania there's some inconvience involved.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Danaru posted:

:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 20 - Is That A Threat?

Glad to hear my dad cares more about a weird elephant thing than he does about me cool cool

To be fair, he also cared more about his travel buddies and seven year old Yuna than about Gooba&*. Poor guy must have missed his wife, though.
But I do like that there is a giant scar on the backside of that Shoopuff.

Neurion posted:

I was so happy there was a Hypello barman in FFX-2

Now I'm waiting for a FFX-2 LP where the Grace gets to meet Tobli. He's something

* Let the records show that I used his canon name from the first post I made in this thread:

cant cook creole bream posted:

Nah, Sin Toxin is a real thing in that universe. You can speak with a bunch of randos who suffer from it. It's specifically triggered by getting close to Sin and not all the other traumatic happenstances of that world.
Honestly though, it's just written as a neat way to protect Gooba& from the consequences of his stupid actions.
"No wait! You can't execute him for that heresy. You see, he has lost all sense of morality and faith due to Sin's Toxin"
Also it makes the party members have a sort of valid reason why they need to explain to him basic concepts like monsters to him, without having them buy into this stupid story about Zanarkand.
It makes me a bit sad that you ignored that.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 8, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
In particular, there is a broken combination, which makes one character do 9999 damage for the rest of combat. This also applies to multiple hit attacks.
Of course that gets vastly outclassed by the late game.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
They haven't left the island since Chapu died, so this is the first new face they saw since then. By the time they went on the boat and saw a bunch of other faces which looked just so much like Chapu they felt to embarrassed to admit it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I can't believe you used an ether. Those are on the too rare and precious to use pedestal.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
^^^Eh give the poor girl a break, she's fifteen. It's okay to have some childish fears at that age.

It's a bit weird that you aren't really using Gooba&. These nasty lizards, which keep dodging everything are supposed to be one-shot by him. Same goes for doggos.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Nidoking posted:

The cactus stones are there for if you either really like Kimahri or don't feel like you hate the Thunder Plains enough and want them to be worse. For whatever reason, you have to hit Square to activate them instead of X. I don't think anything in the game ever tells you this.

I'm also surprised that you stopped your diligent Lanceting at the Iron Giant. Even though it doesn't have a particularly useful move, it still instantly fills up your Overdrive meter once when you learn it. (And it's good for the small, agile enemies, since they can't dodge it.)

Actually, one of the books in the travel agency tells you to use square. There is no indication that the book is an interactable object, so that just transposed the problem.

Why would you use that against enemies if you have stone breath. Petrify is incredibly broken and besides bosses, most enemies aren't even immune to it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
It's weird that among her family, except for her cousin, maybe, Rikku is the most well adjusted.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Her brother is a famous blitzball star that single handedly carries the Aurochs to victory. He's way better adjusted :colbert:

Incidentally, y'all got me to pull this one out of my backlog and play it for the first time and boy howdy does blitzball spiral out of control almost immediately. I've got multiple dudes that just wade through the enemy team and punt the ball past the goalie with minimal effort.

Fair point. Brother is basically twice as fast as everyone else. But I always liked the implied backstory, that their dad took one look at the new born baby and said "Hell no! We're absolutely not stopping with that one. I want a proper child." And then he gave him that very descriptive name, which didn't actually make sense before Rikku was around.

Rikku's dad is an rear end in a top hat.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 13, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The problem is that you are using Khimari too much. Everyone else has his own enemy types. He's only there to steal kills and make other characters (in this case Rikku) less unique in their own niche.

A large part is also the use of the expert sphere grid. Since you are less restrained by the usual linear paths, your characters get a bit more similar. If you hadn't made that little detour with Auron to get Gooba&'s haste, thereby picking up some agility, he'd wiff even more of his attacks.
On the other hand you seem to be along the road less far than the game would expect for some characters. The eyeballs and blizzards are definitely meant to be one-stop at that point.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 15, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Oh by the way, don't take our bitching about how you suck at video games too literally.
I don't want to speak for the crowd, but I personally love you guys stumbling around in confusion.
But I am kinda concerned about how Kimari is becoming your MVP, just because he and Yuna happen to have scan on their weapons. Using him is just not natural and should be shunned.

By the way, those chimeras rotate between four types of attacks in a regular pattern. Only one of them (thundara) is an actual spell. If the AI is trying to cast a spell, but the monster is silenced, it just loses it's turn, so that's useful here.
In fact, you can absolutely cheese these guys, by making them blind and then continuously casting the Null- Spells with Yuna.
Also, if a pure spellcaster can be silenced, it will just stand around forever and will never do anything again.
This game is incredibly great at making status effects worthwhile. Poison damages more than attacks, Silence breaks AI, blindness makes you miss like 90%, petrification is usually instant death for enemies (and can be near instant death for you see Auron), haste and slow are broken beyond belief, sleep and confusion are only broken with a physical attack, so you can snipe around with spells for a long time, and those X-Break attacks basically half the corresponding value. Even those stat boosting specials like Cheer are quite good at long fights. Cheer can be stacked 5 times without running out. Each iteration reduces damage taken by 1/15, so at 5, you only get 66%. Also you get one point of attack. That does not sound like a lot, but keep in mind those attack points have an exponential effect, where you basically always hit 99999 at 255. Five additional points are a significant increase towards that.

Man, I love this game. It's weird that I was younger than those dorks, even Rikku, when I first played it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Perhaps most obnoxiously of all, there pretty much is absolutely no point to doing so at this stage of the game. The item you get is useless until much later.

Eh, technically you can get some of the lower prices which might have some use. Same goes for the lightning dodging.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
If you hadn't had neglected Gooba&, casting Slow on Seymore makes this a cakewalk. If you go beyond that and have reflect for Yuna at this point, it's hilarious.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Akratic Method posted:

If you steal from them they can't autopotion after. Scan just says something about stopping them having potions which made it click in my brain.

Honestly, this is a bit bullshit. You stole a potion, therefore they are all out and stop using one of their stock for every turn. Something just doesn't add up there.

You should really consider using actual scan sometimes. The information you get from that is more detailed than the stuff the weapons provide.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah I'll admit that you made Khimarri really useful. Getting such an early use of steal is impressive. Honestly, the bug error was that you didn't farm those basilisks on djose street for these petrify grenades which are honestly just straight up broken, since they will oneshot most regular enemies.

If memory serves, even these assholes who protect Seymour can be stoned.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Good job clowning on Seymore! Well done.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I'm glad you've actually gotten that stupid treasure in Macalania temple. As I've alluded to earlier. The game is really rude about that and punishes you quite a bit if you miss out on that one. Guados suck. Probably one of the worst race in a game which includes Hypellos.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Psycho Knight posted:

The glare is one of my favourite moments. I considered making it my avatar on this site for a while, before we were graced with the Pokemon Reborn LP.

The stupid thing only appears every ten years, largely seems to stick to the ocean, and it's worldwide news when it gets killed. You would really think that people would have the preparations for this poo poo worked out by now, including not building villages/cities right on the waterfront where you would be at the highest risk.

Like, "Alright everyone, Sin is back again. Might want to consider packing up and taking a trip up to the cabin for a few weeks. Maybe put a lookout or two on watch duty for an approaching skyscraper sized whale."

Sin doesn't appear every ten years. It's always around unless someone kills it to produce a year of pause. Honestly, a year of calm hardly seems worth the effort of all these temples and statues.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Are you getting this direct from the guide? The various wiki summaries I can find have the sort of inconcsistincy thatnusually comes from several rounds of Telephone.

This is the correct context. A thousand years of Sin with occasional breathers.
The idea is that everyone wants to live in the delusion that maybe just maybe if they keep doing the same thing, this time it might be different, for some reason and that it just stays dead. It sounds unscientific and naive, but a millennium of religious indoctrination in a theocracy will do that to you.

This current part of the story feels a bit rushed. "And then a wendigo appears, drops them into the frozen lake before Sin picks them up and shuttles them around the world to a random oasis in a desert."
I like the journey in this game, but they might have been able to write that part better.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 21, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I'm glad we got to see the worm soaring majestically through the sky. Good job there.
The game really expects you to use Rikku as your healer here, since this is sort of her storyline and she's even running around on screen. You already have a hoard of like 40 AlBeth medicines.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Hey, remember how Yuna said that Cid is her uncle? Turns out Rikku is her cousin. That's probably also why she became her guardian after like a second.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I'm fairly certain that the game is actually merciful with regards to the primers and spawns them someone else, if you miss them in a one time location.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Huh. I guess you're right. I remembered that differently.
On the other hand Dan still has those saves. And with these primer-spheres he'd just need to pop over, grab it and save again. It's not one of those missable things which require restarting the game from scratch.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

That's not quite what he was going for, but we can get into that later.

I hate it when stories flesh out backstories of characters long after their death.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, Brother is absolutely amazing in middle field. the easiest way to scort is to have him start with the ball, go a bit forward, pull the aggro of everyone, go a bit back, outswimming them in the process and then passing to the front. Usually this can actually get rid of every single opponent before shooting from an inch away.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

SoundwaveAU posted:

EDIT: Also, Kimahri's Thrust Kick is bugged and doesn't eject people :(

Huh? Is that something which was fixed in the international version, or first appeared in the rerelease? Never had a problem with that one.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Dan knows that letting Auron sit there is a bad decision, but it's even worse than he might think. For one, luck is barely doing anything (slight modification of crit chances). Also Auron is sitting on a node which would only give +1 which is itself a waste. If you had a fortune sphere it would be better to wait until you get a luck sphere, which lets you make a +5 node instead.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 25, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
For all this temples faults, they did have some mercy on the player by making that one treasure chest unavoidable. If the one you missed had been The Important One, it would have sucked a lot in the future.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
It's a bit weird that Isharu doesn't use Helen, considering that's from the temple were you initially meet him. Would have made more sense for him to not have a Frank, since that's from bumfuck nowhere.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
You were sooo close to finding out that autopotion would use hipotions if you ran out of potions. You only had like 3 regular ones left before you randomly decided to max them out.
Also I am kinda sad that you didn't cheat that fight even more by reflecting everyone.
You got quite lucky by combining stuff to poison the guy. That poison alone damaged him for most of his HP. In fact, you barely attacked Seymore at all.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 29, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Because I don't want to always just poo poo on you Dan:
Casting reflect on Seymore was smart.

It's a bit surprising that it doesn't affect Lulu's fury. I thought it did and was expecting you to die there. But of course you knew that, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Some time in the post game, Dan finally finds a fortune sphere. But then he also uses the Lucksphere to make a new node, so he stays stuck.