Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I saw this pop up on my Youtube home page because I'm the sucker that watched all those Terraria videos, and just started laughing and saying "oh no."

I'll be impressed if you finish this, and not because I'm making fun of your track record or anything. This is just a long, insane, long fuckin game. But it's pretty fun, especially if you already know the end spoilers and can watch how they set those up. (Being deliberately vague about those for now but I also feel like as soon as I click the video Grace is gonna blurt out at least one of them.)

edit: please imagine my oh no getting bigger until it fills your screen if you intend to play X-2 as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

You did end up with a really excellent first episode title, but "Auron biffed us into the anus and now we're here" would have been pretty solid as well.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Danaru posted:

Grace hasn't played this before, so don't ruin the surprise of the real stupid poo poo for him

:sickos: Grace, I look forward to seeing how loudly and confusedly you can yell WHAT?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

lol, Jecht loving rules

I honestly think that's a part of why the objective lameness of Tidus's character design (I can't shake the old Fashion Swat line "half a shirt? A third of pants?") never hurt my love of this game. You can look at the main character and think "haha what the gently caress is wrong with this kid" and the game will just have this looming presence of his father 1000% agreeing with you. And it gradually kinda draws you into his whole arc.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

We've reached the point in the Dan & Grace LP Universe where even Grace stops watching. Some day Dan will give up too, but half-hour videos of Gooba& standing completely still will nonetheless be uploaded daily somehow.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I agree.

Heads up, if you haven't been past that point yet: When you're at the ice temple, you really want to make sure not to miss out on that reward with the destruction sphere. Honestly, that part is a bit of a dick move from the game.

Started playing this again, and I generally wish they'd give you a heads up when you're leaving the Cloister of Trials. The Besaid one I just straight up didn't realize I was done with it and walked into the fayth chamber. As soon as the loading screen finished it was just "poo poo, that's right, this is really short. Wonder when I can get back in here for the treasure."

e: VV thanks! I totally forgot you could get back on the ship and backtrack.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 7, 2022

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

FoolyCharged posted:

Look, what's the bigger wrong: repeatedly hurting your family with your actions to the point that they're begging you to stop or attacking an animal you've never seen before thinking it's the kind that attacks you?

Animals are sweet and innocent.
Gooba& is a dweeb.

∴ Hurting animals is worse. QED

(Also, in the near future we'll see that his mom kinda sucked too)

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

If a wizard told you your friend smelled like the afterlife, you’d smell him too. Don’t lie.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Danaru posted:

Rikku is currently trapped in the Kimahri Zone of stats

I mean, you put Kimahri on the Rikku track, so, uh. (I actually did the same thing in my play along; you can branch off later into Yuna's or Lulu's late grid and get something useful out of them besides just two Steal users)

pointlessone posted:

Lightning dodging- AKA The worst minigame.

I know the reward for this and I just resign myself to never getting it, and plan around the applicable character being the worst in the endgame because I don't have it. It sucks so much.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Danaru posted:

By Kimahri Zone I meant "needs AP for health nodes but keeps getting lit the gently caress up whenever they're on the field"

Oh, I thought you meant "not good at anything specific" since they're both kinda extraneous to the game's enemy-types system. But yeah, shuffling people in and out to make sure every does at least one action is probably the most tedious part of leveling in this game. Especially when they're under-strength -- normal enemies are a lot harder in this game than most Final Fantasy games.

edit: you're probably way past this area already, but since it applies to a lot of places in the game: since there's elemental themed areas, don't underestimate the Nul* spells!

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 11, 2022

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Gnoman posted:

One way to soften this is to keep the character you're trying to boost off the field, and swap them in. Since you get an immediate turn, that makes it easier to get an action.

This is good advice, but I'm making it more painful by trying to get everyone a turn in every battle. You really have to start deliberately using the wrong people to do things sometimes, since enemies are mostly one-shotted by the correct character. Of course, based on where Dan and Grace are at, I think it's overleveling me (since AP isn't divided, just fixed per participant you basically double your take by using everyone) so I should probably just stop inflicting psychic damage on myself.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Cloacamazing! posted:

Look at it as an opportunity to throw tons of potions at her in order to raise her affection level, which is an actual thing in this game and somehow even stupider than the lighning dodges.

I had never heard of this until now. I looked it up, and given how little it matters (slight variations in who talks during some cutscenes) I actually kinda like it. It's a minor touch that makes the script have whoever you talk to most talk to you.

Spider Rikku is fuckin weird. It's strange to me how anime this game gets sometimes. Also, I wonder if there's a special conversation clip if you teach her a Thunder spell and have her use it. If you guys have the right Key Sphere when her grid goes near Lulu's, you should dip over and try it out.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Nidoking posted:

For whatever reason, you have to hit Square to activate them instead of X. I don't think anything in the game ever tells you this.

Some insane developer thinking "yessss of course, the player must try to recruit the stone to his Blitzball team!"

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

who needs therapy when you have BLITZBAWW

Please include a trigger warning if you're going to say lightning related words like "blitz". This is a safe space for Rikku.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Yeah, they're his. It's just that you guys are a bit underleveled. I think the game generally expects Wakka to be able to one-shot his kind of customers as well.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Cloacamazing! posted:

I'll have you know the local kindergarteners were very disappointed they couldn't watch your family friendly videos today.

Who is going to teach my children to shid and fard and cumd???

Also yeah gently caress the butterflies. Fuckers just turn invisible with their bitch-rear end two dimensions turned sideways, and my color vision sucks so I just have trial and error which are blue then memorize the route.

But not as much as gently caress lightning. My current record is 5, so uh, 2.5% of the way there! :shepicide:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Gnoman posted:

This fight is why I was pushing you to remember the nulX line of spells.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing, just hasting her and mashing that "immune to element" button as hard as I could. And I barely made it through! Seymour is actually pretty nasty.

I also didn't realize the auto-potion counter until afterward when I scanned a later appearance of those enemies.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

pointlessone posted:

There's a counter outside of "Burn them to the ground"?

If you steal from them they can't autopotion after. Scan just says something about stopping them having potions which made it click in my brain.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Honestly, this is a bit bullshit. You stole a potion, therefore they are all out and stop using one of their stock for every turn. Something just doesn't add up there.

It turns out the reason we can only carry 99 doses of potion is because all our characters are loving addicts and their tolerance is through the roof so one dose for us is like fifty for a normal person.

(I think they were desperate to make Steal into a viable gimmick so that Rikku isn't just some obligatory dead weight you have to bring out for AP. Steal deals with another enemy type in a way that doesn't really make a ton of logical sense either.)

Danaru posted:

If you guys hate my sphere grid choices now, just wait lmao

I don't hate them at all. I copied your choices in my game and did just fine! Having another Steal/Use character is a great use for Kimahri, and while he won't keep up at physical power he'll still come in pretty handy going along Rikku's grid, and can easily drop off it into Yuna's stuff to pick up other spells you really want multiple casters for. And Wakka getting some Lulu spells is nice too, since he's also the one that gets Osmose.

Mainly it's that the game is balanced around assuming you'll grind a little bit, thus you're basically playing on Hard Mode since even your utter contempt for viewers isn't enough for you to make us watch walking in circles to grind random encounters, taking worthless actions to prolong battles so everyone can appear and do one thing. (Probably jinxing myself here but :shrug:). I actually think you're doing pretty well for your party's stats.

edit: :lmao: I just remembered the time you made an entire Terraria episode of walking in circles to grind random encounters, looking for whatever the hell that was. Nazar?

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 17, 2022

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I honestly like the cloisters (except Bevelle, gently caress that) but yeah goddamn do they gently caress the story pacing to death.

And you know what? Good job winning Blitzball in the other episodes.

(also, Black Magic Sphere lets anyone get a black magic spell that at least one other person has. Dragged one person all the way up to Flare and don't feel like walking the other caster up there? Use the sphere to get it instantly! Edit: you can also turn them into Magic +20% on a weapon.)

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 18, 2022

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Yeah, considering that boss was hitting for 1000 more HP than anyone could possibly have, I think they're already in the spike. They're pushing through it so far! Plus also they're like 10 levels higher than their current stats since Dan tries not to subject us to Sphere Grid time too often. (I secretly love Sphere Grid time and that's what made me get the game out again)

I was confused to see that Save Spheres exist diagetically. Are normal people just going around saving their games?!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Chrono Cross had a fun use of that too, where people would just go tell their problems to the glowing tetrahedron and apparently get advice from them.

I wonder if people know they can just touch the glowing ball to get to Luca for blitzball instead of taking that dumb ship? Did we just ruin the economy by upgrading them with blitzball?!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Danaru posted:

You're unlisted :mad:

Also that's the creepiest Rikku scene in the game, right there. They made a whole extra animation never used again just to have to gesture to her tits and rear end.

e: VVV It's a super weird loving choice that they made other missable primers re-appear here so you can get them all, and then immediately after this they have genuinely missable, irrecoverable primers.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 21, 2022

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

We said the exact opposite of "dan is stupid for giving Kimahri Steal". I said it was a good idea! :mad:

Also my stupid rear end idea for Black Magic Spheres is to hoard them all until someone finally learns Ultima and then FAPPO everyone knows Ultima.

end of episode edit: people outside Minnesota say oof-dah?! :aaa:

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 21, 2022

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I want to go back in time and murder whoever thought it would be a cool idea to have a guy yelling I'M ANNOYING, HA over and over in the background of this whole area.

e: actually your interpretation of it is funnier.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 22, 2022

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

ha ha just like a fireworks show, like maybe if they did a fireworks show to celebrate a genocide, ha ha how festive

I do really like the story of this game as a summary or outline, but man the actual script and line reads can get bad. On the other hand, details they did really well include the consistency of everyone's reactions based on who knows what. If you ever do replay with that "beating sin kills the summoner" spoiler in mind, a lot things make perfect sense.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Yeah, Auron is a cool dude and all but also incredibly manipulative and clearly has his own machinations going. He's lying (by omission at least) to everyone: he never told Gooba& that Yuna would die, and he's kept Jecht being Sin from everyone else. In a weird way he's kind of the anti-Rikku: he also has his own thing going on that's distinct from the rest of the guardians, but instead of getting Yuna away from the pilgrimage he seems hell-bent on keeping it going. When Seymour's proposal came up, his response was basically "I don't give a gently caress unless it'd stop you reaching Zanarkand, in which case absolutely loving not."

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Hell yes, he can just straight outrun a lot of players to a point where they don't matter. He can embarrass the Ronso Fangs.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

That said, apparently the important prizes alternate between Tournament and League prizes. You got the Attack Reels from a Tournament, so the next one will be a League prize. (Unless you just got the next one and that's why you're looking for a tournament again, of course.)

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

FoolyCharged posted:

Hey, Jecht isn't technically dead.

Yet.

Fiends and the fayth make "alive" a pretty nebulous concept in Spira, when you think about it. Like, you can just get lost on the way to dead and then accidentally be a dragon. Or, given Bahamut, you can take that side-track on purpose. Pyreflies, the forms they can adopt, and the Farplane being a literal visitable place make the whole thing just a bizarrely sliding scale.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Akratic Method posted:

Fiends and the fayth make "alive" a pretty nebulous concept in Spira

Ha, really wanted to mention Seymour just going "nahhh" to dying but I was an episode too early. So yeah, not only can your dead soul turn into a monster, it can also just be like no, I refuse to be dead, I'm staying here.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

You have until the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth before you can pick up another one. I believe it's too late to go back to the Highroad, until you get full Airship access which I think won't happen until you've reached all the main areas naturally in the course of the plot.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

An absolute Dan & Grace classic. Starts with an immediate pronouncement and delivers 100%.

This is truly the worst cloister of them all, both in terms of brutal destruction of the story pacing and in terms of playing it. Who in the gently caress thought "ok yeah the cloisters are great, but I hate that you can just walk around and figure things out at your own pace"?

e: That counts for "getting the destruction sphere treasure" in Bevelle. And there is one more cloister, which if you want an optional aeon you'll need to do a second time because you can't get the destruction sphere the first time through if you want an optional aeon. So there is arguably a cloister for an optional aeon? The others you just have to fight your way through to.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 26, 2022

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Gnoman posted:

One thing that feels really off is that the whole Bevelle sequence makes the Bevelle use of Forbidden Machina Weapons out to be a big secret.

Except if you go back to the shoopuf sequence, there's a warror-monk standing guard. With a rifle in full display. Kind of makes it harder to buy that nobody knows they're flouting the taboo.

It's possible the forbidden weapons are just the floating artillery robots and those weird karate-mechs. It's clearly not the automated nature that does it, because the cannons at Mushroom Rock were manned, but maybe there's a minimum size where people start to care?

By the way, the second treasure you can get in Bevelle is just some mediocre weapon for Kimahri. Even if you could have gone back into the cloister to get the additional sphere, you'd have been disappointed.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Ah, you are correct, yeah. I'm gonna guess lazy devs/limited space for distinct models saved by someone with less of an eye for plot holes than you, then.

Also, man you need to do way too much Blitzball to get all Wakka's special stuff. It's a frustrating mix of being very easy to cheese your way through with perfection, much more fun if you don't, and nonetheless requiring near perfection because if you lose too much you have to do 20 more games to cycle the league prize and get it.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Psycho Knight posted:

That whole boss fight is kind of baffling to include at all, to be honest. I can only assume the reason for including it is to throw an EXP bump Gooba&/Wakka/Riku's way before another boss.

It’s possible it was meant to make sure that the player understands zombie as a concept before other fights later that feature it more prominently.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Danaru posted:

Seymour has actually done a pretty good job of neutering any force that could bother him once he does his thing

Gooba&ishly except us! hu hu I'm Gooba&

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

FoolyCharged posted:

more seriously, it does have a bit of a flaw where the difficulty curve gets snapped over the players knee really fast. Which is a bit of an issue when the big reward for it takes a minimum of something like 40 games played.

Oh god yes. I still have a round of the league to go before I get the final Special Prize, and I win most games 6-0. My goalie is falling behind in levels because the ball never even gets to my defense line, let alone a shot. The top three scorers in the league last season were my three forwards, with #3 having double the 4th place score. This barely required trying.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

The between episodes performance is incredible! The in-episode performance is... well, pretty much what happens to everyone in fuckin Hyper Dodger. I actually hate the race less, just because the drat balls don't explode into more balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

NikkolasKing posted:

This is not how the game is supposed to work.

First Dan & Grace LP?