Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyNkm2088Kw

I've been watching some of these videos and there's not a single cave dive video which isn't the most horrifying poo poo ever. Why would someone do this? Just seems like a terrible way to kill yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
The call of the void is powerful, and some go to it in the most terrifying way they can dream up. Personally I just eat too much pizza and don't exercise.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Just decaf coffee for me, thanks.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I can't even think about someone else doing it for more than five minutes or I start to panic. Most insane terrifying crap I can imagine.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

The call of the void is powerful, and some go to it in the most terrifying way they can dream up.

Goatse be like that sometimes.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
I remember some story of a guy ending up stuck upside down in a cave for days that was absolutely horrific. He and his brother took a wrong turn while caving and he thought the narrow tube he was crawling through was gonna open up to a big chamber, but in reality it led to a drop down another narrow tube. Something like that.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
Yes 100%.

I'm sure you already checked some videos out but spelunking is just as hosed. Check out the case of Nutty Putty Cave if you are unaware of it.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

A good friend of mine loves to cave dive in the limestone caves of Florida and Mexico and it’s basically all he does w his free time. Really great guy and I wish him a long life, but I’m still trying to figure out a tactful way to ask to listed as a beneficiary on his life insurance policy.

E. He told me that there are situations where, because of oxygen/pressure timing issues, you will basically know you are certain to drown about an hour or two before you actually do, which has always struck me as incredibly terrible

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 18, 2022

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Brother Tadger posted:

A good friend of mine loves to cave dive in the limestone caves of Florida and Mexico and it’s basically all he does w his free time. Really great guy and I wish him a long life, but I’m still trying to figure out a tactful way to ask to listed as a beneficiary on his life insurance policy.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I've done a few cave dives, nothing like going into a whole cave system or anything, but still, it's a way to make scuba diving (a pretty boring activity once you've done it a few times unless you're at an S-tier site, really) more interesting.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 18, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 27 days!)

Brother Tadger posted:

E. He told me that there are situations where, because of oxygen/pressure timing issues, you will basically know you are certain to drown about an hour or two before you actually do, which has always struck me as incredibly terrible

this sign makes it seem like there's a cool demon in the cave who doesn't want you to find his secret crystals.

it only makes me more curious. makes it seem like a cool thing to do.

they should just put a picture of some moss and say 'this is what you're about to die to look at, you boring idiot'

roomtone fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 18, 2022

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Mellow_ posted:

Yes 100%.

I'm sure you already checked some videos out but spelunking is just as hosed. Check out the case of Nutty Putty Cave if you are unaware of it.

Yeah spelunking is terrifying, imagine getting stuck and slowly dying over the course of god know how long and just having your corpse there. It's like people want to go through reverse birth or some poo poo.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

any cave explorers, not just divers

sure you might not drown in a cave (not guaranteed because they can flood rapidly during rainstorms), but they have pretty much the same risk of getting lost and never finding your way out, plus the risk of getting stuck in a tight space, falling, or even suffocating

probably should just stay out of any cave

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Lt. Cock posted:

I remember some story of a guy ending up stuck upside down in a cave for days that was absolutely horrific. He and his brother took a wrong turn while caving and he thought the narrow tube he was crawling through was gonna open up to a big chamber, but in reality it led to a drop down another narrow tube. Something like that.

sounds like nutty putty cave

this is why i dont go spelunking without lubing up first.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Probably better to suffocate rather than slowly die of thirst.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Most of the people doing extremely dangerous stuff like cave diving are upper middle class white people who are suffering from ennui and desperately want to feel alive by putting themselves in a dangerous situation.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Big Scary Owl posted:

Yeah spelunking is terrifying, imagine getting stuck and slowly dying over the course of god know how long and just having your corpse there. It's like people want to go through reverse birth or some poo poo.

There's a good dollop ep on one,

https://allthingscomedy.com/podcasts/340---kentucky-caver-floyd-collins

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Lt. Cock posted:

This is my hole!

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

Oh yeah, this is the one.

Unrelated, but there was another story I saw on these forums ages ago. Ted the Caver. Very much a work of fiction, but super eerie iirc.

Edit: Angelfire still exists. This might suck now idk. It was big in the simpler times of the internet where we were starved for content and everything seemed real.

https://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/

Lt. Cock fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 18, 2022

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Lt. Cock posted:

Oh yeah, this is the one.

Unrelated, but there was another story I saw on these forums ages ago. Ted the Caver. Very much a work of fiction, but super eerie iirc.

Edit: Angelfire still exists. This might suck now idk. It was big in the simpler times of the internet where we were starved for content and everything seemed real.

https://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/

This is still hella good read

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cave's actually own pretty hard. Digging your own tunnel is great, nature providing a big one for free is even better. Normies can get a little taste of the cave experience at places like Carlsbad or Mammoth Cave. Try it, it's great. If you read The Tombs of Atuan as a kid and thought "yes, please!" caves might be for you.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Caves are cool and I like 'em and all, but I really don't wanna die in one. Doubly so for underwater ones.
Like half of the deaths that Mr. Ballen dude covers are from cave diving.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

So this guy died and they never even got his corpse out, they just buried it with explosives and concrete.

He didn't drown either, he died from being trapped upside down in a narrow underwater tunnel for 27 hours!

If that isn't one of the most horrifying ways to die, I don't know what is!

So I think the answer is an emphatic "YES", OP

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Nah

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

One of the most terrifying parts of this death is that it was fuckin slow and agonizing for him.

That sounds obvious, but since he was upside down he got to experience the feeling of all of his blood pooling in his head over the course of many hours until he had a stroke.

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:
I've always found tight spaces soothing, like an extreme version of a weighted blanket. those videos that get posted in the cursed images thread or whatever of people descending into small holes in the ground do not fill me with fear but with zen-like peace. so to answer the title yeah probably

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mellow_ posted:

One of the most terrifying parts of this death is that it was fuckin slow and agonizing for him.

That sounds obvious, but since he was upside down he got to experience the feeling of all of his blood pooling in his head over the course of many hours until he had a stroke.

Yeah, and they managed to partially pull him out at one point before he got lodged in harder. :smith:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

it's called spelunking because you have to be under a witch's spell to do it

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Cave diving is for narcissists who insist "it couldn't happen to me!" They are all deranged and need help.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I think there is definitely some sort of yet categorised mental illness identified by not just the willingness but the actual desire to try to jam your body into extremely tight spaces

I think that cave diving is actually less insane because at least the caves are fairly big so it's more of a challenge/death defying sport where you can definitely die but it will because of some mistake you made at some point, whereas the really extreme spelunking is basically a very esoteric suicide attempt

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Yeah I've had nightmares about this poo poo and never even done it.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I could maybe understand it if there were dwarven treasures under the loving earth or something, magic swords, whatever, but the reward for swimming into a deep, enclosed void filled with silt and ready to kill you as soon as you make a single false move is...

just some more loving underwater rocks

This is the best cave diving story ever and also shows how loving dumb cave diving is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or92IMcLoIc

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Apparently there’s some kind of tropical paradise full of dinosaurs and godzillas and etc if you go deep enough. Most divers are just trying to get there and get some good instagrams.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

What's cave rent like these days?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

JonathonSpectre posted:

I could maybe understand it if there were dwarven treasures under the loving earth or something, magic swords, whatever, but the reward for swimming into a deep, enclosed void filled with silt and ready to kill you as soon as you make a single false move is...

just some more loving underwater rocks

This is the best cave diving story ever and also shows how loving dumb cave diving is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or92IMcLoIc

There are some choice quotes in there such as: "drowning is my biggest fear" and "we're never doing this again are we" and then a minute later "Imma do it again"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
My old boss lost two wealthy elderly husbands to the free diving habit she turned them on to, so it seems to be a good inheritance delivery tool.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My old boss lost two wealthy elderly husbands to the free diving habit she turned them on to, so it seems to be a good inheritance delivery tool.

Shallow water blackout?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Saves a fortune on a burial too. drat, she's savvy. Still single?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

abigserve posted:

I think there is definitely some sort of yet categorised mental illness identified by not just the willingness but the actual desire to try to jam your body into extremely tight spaces

I think that cave diving is actually less insane because at least the caves are fairly big so it's more of a challenge/death defying sport where you can definitely die but it will because of some mistake you made at some point, whereas the really extreme spelunking is basically a very esoteric suicide attempt

This isn’t actually true. Many cave dives are just as narrow as spelunking caves. In fact, my buddy has an oxygen tank rig that is specifically designed to float next to you (rather than be attached to your back) so you can squeeze through tight spaces and then pull the tank behind you. Of course, you could go to wide open caves, but then you might as well be doing open water diving :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I've done Actun Tunich Muknal in Belize about 3 times and at one point got invite to help do a more complete survey since the cave system isnt fully explored.

It's pretty neat and since it was a Maya ritual site the archaeology was dope.