Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Just way too dangerous. I can see where the adventure an challenge of it all might be appealing but one little slipup and you're suffering a horrifying death. Even the people who do this stuff regularly succumb to panic when something starts to go wrong. So no thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

just send underwater drones with lights and cameras to go explore caves and make a youtube channel, there is zero reason to physically go there.

go swim some laps in a pool and then turn down the lights and watch a nature documentary

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

It's safe if you have the right training/equipment

most of the cave diving deaths in the part of north Florida I'm from were from recreational divers not knowing what they're getting into, then getting narcosis and REALLY not knowing what they're getting into. But it doesn't happen as much anymore

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I leap over a pit of rusty spikes to get to my posting station every morning, to battle death and keep my posting sharp

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mooey Cow posted:

That's why they had to come up with the traditional folk-tale of "my sister got stuck in the washing machine hole and I had to gently caress her loose", to change things up a little.

we get it, we all read Enigma of Amigara Fault, please stop trying to shoehorn these references into every post

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
what about underwater dungeons, like sunken temples?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Khanstant posted:

stalactite supervisor on the job

can't catch a break

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_of_the_Crystals

quote:

When it was accessible, the cave was extremely hot, with air temperatures reaching up to 58 °C (136 °F)[3] with 90 to 99 percent humidity. The cave is relatively unexplored because of these factors.[4] Without proper protection, people can only endure approximately ten minutes of exposure at a time.[5]

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I highly recommend The Luminous Dead if you like these creepy cave stories and claustrophobic diving. It’s a great mix of sci-fi, psychological thriller, and creepy horror.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Tjadeth posted:

I've always found tight spaces soothing, like an extreme version of a weighted blanket. those videos that get posted in the cursed images thread or whatever of people descending into small holes in the ground do not fill me with fear but with zen-like peace. so to answer the title yeah probably

You, stuck firmly and irreversibly in a tunnel deep underwater and way up a labyrinth, having just tried for an hour to free yourself, and seeing on your oxygen gauge that you have five minutes of air left, and no one is coming to rescue you because being so confident you didn't bother to tell anyone about the dive:

"Ooh, this tunnel feels so tight around me. I am veritably filled with a Zen-like peace."

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's basically loving the Earth

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

BigBadSteve posted:

You, stuck firmly and irreversibly in a tunnel deep underwater and way up a labyrinth, having just tried for an hour to free yourself, and seeing on your oxygen gauge that you have five minutes of air left, and no one is coming to rescue you because being so confident you didn't bother to tell anyone about the dive:

"Ooh, this tunnel feels so tight around me. I am veritably filled with a Zen-like peace."

you can also see cool salamanders and sometimes a frog

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

naem posted:

just send underwater drones with lights and cameras to go explore caves and make a youtube channel, there is zero reason to physically go there.

That's a pretty good point as well, don't know why they don't do this.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Caving is cool and nature is cool and doing dangerous poo poo is cool.

What are you going to die from? Hamburgers over time?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

BigBadSteve posted:

I would simply remain calm, breathe appropriately, and extricate myself.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Looks like a place I'd get my rear end kicked in a Souls game.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Has anyone said cavussy yet?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Big Scary Owl posted:

It's like people want to go through reverse birth or some poo poo.

Realizing that the real world is more terrifying, he slithered back into the canal, wishing to regress back to a simpler time.

naem
May 29, 2011

Big Scary Owl posted:

That's a pretty good point as well, don't know why they don't do this.

there probably are some cool rocks and stuff down there so go ahead and send a camera drone and like maybe map out the layout, why not

then sure, go ahead and swim around the entrance a lil afterwards and be like “hey look at this hole, there’s rocks down there, I’ve seen em” and then swim back home not dead

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I really like caves and want to do caving but haven't found any to explore in the midwest. High risk but I'm not a man so just seeing a moist hole doesn't make me insane until I enter it

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Lt. Cock posted:

Oh yeah, this is the one.

Unrelated, but there was another story I saw on these forums ages ago. Ted the Caver. Very much a work of fiction, but super eerie iirc.

Edit: Angelfire still exists. This might suck now idk. It was big in the simpler times of the internet where we were starved for content and everything seemed real.

https://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/

i love this story. vintage early internet creepypasta, probably amongst the first in that genre. still holds up today, and that cliff hanger hits hard when you click the final link

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bobcats posted:

gently caress yea bro

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The cows will have their hard-earned revenge soon enough

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

gently caress yea bro

that or the cancer you get from eating too much pussy. seems better than screaming to death in a subterranean tomb

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

pussy and burgers and truckin 😎

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My dad knew a guy who went ice diving and got turned around and couldn’t find the hole he had chosen not to mark for some reason. Same energy.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i love this story. vintage early internet creepypasta, probably amongst the first in that genre. still holds up today, and that cliff hanger hits hard when you click the final link

Yeah this story was great. Just enough intrigue from his description of the place and the weird phenomena inside, to be compelling. Then before you know it you've 'finished' the story right before bed and you can't sleep.

Brother Tadger posted:

E. He told me that there are situations where, because of oxygen/pressure timing issues, you will basically know you are certain to drown about an hour or two before you actually do, which has always struck me as incredibly terrible

This is horrifying. Can you elaborate?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I don't think there's a death that's worse. I mean, I'm sure there's more painful ways to die, but knowing I'm stuck in a loving cave, I can't move and there's nothing to look forward to except an exhausting fear induced death sounds worse than anything anyone can think up.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

sigher posted:

I don't think there's a death that's worse. I mean, I'm sure there's more painful ways to die, but knowing I'm stuck in a loving cave, I can't move and there's nothing to look forward to except an exhausting fear induced death sounds worse than anything anyone can think up.

It's the same thing as those stories you sometimes hear about people getting locked out and trying to santa claus their way into the place and end up gremlins'd

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's the same thing as those stories you sometimes hear about people getting locked out and trying to santa claus their way into the place and end up gremlins'd

as someone that happened to (posting from chimney as i slowly skeletonize) it is not the same loving thing

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Oh poo poo, the “It turns out that chimneys don’t work the way we were told they did in cartoons” thread in GBS was terrifying

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Colonel Cancer posted:

I leap over a pit of rusty spikes to get to my posting station every morning, to battle death and keep my posting sharp

I have that plus dodging swinging axes so i can shitpost

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
How do these divers not have a Apple Watch that lets you swipe letters to communicate with each other? Or know sign language or something? Apparently screaming under water to communicate is what they settled settled on

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Cave diving and extreme deep diving terrify the hell out of me. Especially when the deaths are caught on video. There are two incidents that have stuck with me. One was Yuri Lipski who got into an uncontrolled descent and filmed himself screaming for help and drowning at the bottom of the Dahab Blue Hole. The other was David Shaw, who got disoriented from narcosis while struggling with ropes as he tried to recover the body of ANOTHER drowned diver in Bushman's Hole in Africa.

I'm not linking the videos, but the article about Shaw from Outside magazine is absolutely amazing. It's paywalled but I found a reprinted version at the bottom of this page: http://www.deep-six.com/page111.htm

Nuts and Gum posted:

How do these divers not have a Apple Watch that lets you swipe letters to communicate with each other? Or know sign language or something? Apparently screaming under water to communicate is what they settled settled on

We have hand signals that we use.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Speaker posted:

This is horrifying. Can you elaborate?
Maybe it might have something to do with decompression? Not sure, hope someone knowledgeable can answer it cause I'm interested as well.

Nuts and Gum posted:

What also bugs me is that apparently the rebreathers can just fall off so if you fall unconscious for even a bit you are turbo-hosed.

edit:

Hazo posted:

I'm not linking the videos
I will search it myself and give me nightmares

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 20, 2022

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Bobcats posted:

Caving is cool and nature is cool and doing dangerous poo poo is cool.

Technically my colon will be what gets me but yes.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Big Scary Owl posted:

edit:

I will search it myself and give me nightmares
Haven't watched them in some time because I don't want to have nightmares, but to my knowledge these are the videos. :nms::nws:

Lipski: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3n2nkq
Shaw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-6HeB1olp8

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Hazo posted:

Haven't watched them in some time because I don't want to have nightmares, but to my knowledge these are the videos. :nms::nws:

Lipski: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3n2nkq
Shaw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-6HeB1olp8

God drat in that Shaw video when you see the flash of the dead guys diving glasses is scary as hell.

This whole ‘screw up for 3 minutes and it costs you an extra hour to decompress’ thing sounds like some movie logic, I had no idea that was a thing :stonk:

I do like the idea of feeling drunk right before passing out, though.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Anyone know if this cave has a boyfriend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Bunch of Mark Corrigan's ITT