Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Professor Shark posted:

#1: Don't go to Florida
#2: Don't go in a cave
#3:

#3 don't claim you used to run with Bird, or that you have Bird's axe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Probably the nth person to recommend it, but NatGeo did a documentary on the rescue operation where those soccer kids got trapped in a flooded cave and hobbyists were navigating underwater rapids to reach them...it's an incredible watch with GoPro perspectives. Must watch.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Professor Shark posted:

#1: Don't go to Florida
#2: Don't go in a cave
#3:

Semi-counterpoint: Collapsed sinkholes are fantastic dives. I've been down in Devil's Den and watched catfish and alligators peacefully swim above me.

But it's also the only place I've seen that underwater grim reaper DO NOT GO FURTHER cave sign in person and absolutely gently caress all that

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

if i was drowning in a cave i know the sonic is about to drown music would be stuck in my head until i died

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

was reading this thread during the surface interval between two dives earlier today

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hazo posted:

Semi-counterpoint: Collapsed sinkholes are fantastic dives. I've been down in Devil's Den and watched catfish and alligators peacefully swim above me.

But it's also the only place I've seen that underwater grim reaper DO NOT GO FURTHER cave sign in person and absolutely gently caress all that

my eyes saw Florida, glazed over, and thought this started out "collapsed skinheads", :hmmyes:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i used to live in winter park florida, which notoriously has a big fukken hole in it haha

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Mister Speaker posted:

How was the Bends discovered, anyway? Did loads of people in archaic diving bells and pressure suits die horribly before anyone figured it out?

Pretty sure the Romans made their slaves use diving bells to harvest the mullisk they made Caesars purple clothes from. I can't imagine they were very big into safety.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

tazjin posted:

was reading this thread during the surface interval between two dives earlier today

Dives at your local swimming pool right? Right??

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I simply don't go near the water. Which is ironic since I grew up within visual distance of the Atlantic and never had anything bad happen on or in it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57kHFXElTVI

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

sharknado slashfic posted:

I simply don't go near the water. Which is ironic since I grew up within visual distance of the Atlantic and never had anything bad happen on or in it.

Yeah I lived in Myrtle Beach too.

i!ii!!iii!!!ii!!i!
Jan 5, 2011

Cool avs beyond this door.

Big Scary Owl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyNkm2088Kw

I've been watching some of these videos and there's not a single cave dive video which isn't the most horrifying poo poo ever. Why would someone do this? Just seems like a terrible way to kill yourself.

Haven't seen it mentioned so apologies if it has been, but there is actually a documentary about the plura disaster survivors doing an illegal dive to rescue their friend's bodies: https://youtu.be/mEDOeS782rc

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I did some scuba cave diving in an underground lake once. It was disconcerting.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mulaney Power Move posted:

the sonic is about to drown music

My stress level went up even thinking of it

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Doing a EVA in orbit somehow seems less risky than cave diving.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Everything I know about diving I learned from Treasure Diver, a CYOA book I got for a birthday as a kid, which features numerous endings that result in various descriptive horrifying deaths. That, along with my inability to tread water, convinced me at a young age that diving was not the thing for me.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Don't fall in! Ha ha just kidding ha we like to have fun. But seriously don't.

And don't forget to try the famous abbey stepping stones near the river of doom with a 100% death rate- only a couple people died from falling in the water there. FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

And don't forget to try the famous abbey stepping stones near the river of doom with a 100% death rate- only a couple people died from falling in the water there. FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY!

Humanity only came into being due to dragging itself out of the water. The water will never stop trying to take us back.