Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ngl I wish my house had a conversation pit. Feels so cozy and nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

op this is neither bad nor weird, and is in fact :krad:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

OwlFancier posted:

There are easier ways to flense.

Neat, I learned a new word. Thanks Weird House thread!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Twenty Four posted:

There's a TV series on the HGTV channel based on this called "Bargain Block". A pair of guys buy mostly horrible, trashed, dirt cheap bungalows in run down Michigan neighborhoods (like where this one is, in Pontiac, a suburb of Detroit). Typically because of stupid government regulations, it's often going to be much more expensive to demo the entire thing and start over than to fix up even the most horrible places, and most people just don't want to deal with it. Compared to the condition of many of the places those guys start with, that listing is absolutely luxurious. We're talking like "it was on fire, which unfortunately didn't kill all the mold, the walls that haven't fallen down are trashed, and as you can see and smell it has been used as a combination trash dump and giant toilet for years" levels of bad.

I mean, the Bargain Block guys are buying homes from the Detroit Land Bank for say $8-10k, rehabbing them, and selling them for usually less than $100k because the neighborhoods they're in (in the city of Detroit, not anywhere near Pontiac which is a 45min drive away) have historically depressed home values due to a whole lot of reasons. The house in Pontiac is listed at $1 to start a bidding war. I think the only similarities here is that both examples are in Michigan.

The reason this is happening is a lot more nuanced than just "most people just don't want to deal with [rehabbing homes in their own neighborhood]". This article has some good information: https://outliermedia.org/bargain-block-home-flippers-fitzgerald-detroit-land-bank/

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

CJacobs posted:

The man describing his large rocks being hundreds of pounds and separating the base board from the wall like it's just normal is giving me huge BathDOOM vibes

Incredibly cool rocks though, I'm pretty sure the females actually would love them

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Perfect for what?

Before answering, note the apparent complete lack of exhaust vents/fans over the garage.

It's just a render. I kinda love it honestly, having a big rear end garage I could put a lift in is definitely a life goal. Only complaint I have is the second floor has three bedrooms but only one bathroom.

https://www.architecturaldesigns.com/house-plans/barndominium-with-front-entry-garage-and-2-story-great-room-135192gra

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I assume none of those triangle windows open which would kind of suck.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That kitchen has a Smeg dishwasher and mixer as well!

I kinda wanted a pink Smeg fridge for my recent kitchen remodel but only if there was a way I could remove the branding. I couldn't find any info anywhere about how the letters were attached to the front of the door and wasn't willing the of risk buying one and damaging it or being stuck seeing S M E G every time I wanted something to eat.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Inzombiac posted:

The SMEG letters can be taken off easily. You do have to patch the post holes, though.

https://youtu.be/u9Lr0sjF6Hc?si=VVAfmExmFNnxaymj

Good to know. Definitely would not have been interested in proceeding knowing that.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Well that makes me sad.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This is a house near me that is FSBO. They listed it for $350k in October 2023, and then a couple weeks later upped the price to $380k. Today they changed it to $450k. 4 beds, 3 bath, 2800 sqft. Assuming normal house in good condition that price is probably $100k over comps in the area.

Looks pretty average from the outside!

Uhhhhh, hmm

wtf

The flooring in the entire house is awful

The bathroom storage is certainly A Choice. And every single radiator looks terrible.

Can't imagine why it hasn't sold yet

Sirotan has a new favorite as of 21:23 on Apr 15, 2024

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Queadlunn posted:

You mind sharing the link? I really want to send that to my spouse in the 'Zillow Containment Zone' we have in discord. This one's a special kind of hosed up.

Realtor.com is the only site that has any photos left, idk why, and it doesn't show it as being an active listing like Zillow does: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/944-E-Forest-Ave_Ypsilanti_MI_48198_M30872-95613

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I found a new dumb thing while finding the link:

Downspout just dumps all the water directly onto the deck? I want to believe that they just removed the end of the downspout for the photos, but that also means they have a downspout going across the middle of the deck the entire time which lmao

Edit: probably should be cross posting into the Crappy Construction thread

Sirotan has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Yeah nah those are 4'x8' sheets of OSB they just screwed directly into the subfloor and then varnished. Pretty sure you can even see the screws in a couple photos.