Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justinen
Mar 17, 2009
Greetings my fellow goons. Honestly, I already know what I am about to share sounds crazy...

I recently invested my life savings into a video game with a real cash economy and purchased virtual land. I purchased a land area in Entropia Universe for $18,000 on March 21. I was scared and nervous to do something like this but I have wanted land in Entropia since 2006 when I was a teenager.
Well, the thing is that so far the investment is doing better than I thought it would in the first month. I had thought it would take far longer for a real measure of success but it seems if I keep this up the land may potentially pay itself off in 3-4 years. That is like an insane 20-30% ROI right? I realize I may be counting my eggs before they hatch, but I thought it best to ask things like this now.
What I am curious to know is that if I need to declare myself as a real business with an income like this or that I even should. So far I don't plan on taking any of the money out of game until I can do it in amounts around $4,000. The income is going to sit and build unless it would be smarter to withdraw it in smaller amounts. Is there a penalty or tax reason that I should withdraw it smaller? Will a $4,000 withdraw from a game into my account get me a red flag on taxes? I can prove where I put the original money into the game if the government requires that.
The other thing I was curious about is if I should form it into a business, what may be the benefits and negatives and what type if I should? I am guessing I would have to list the business as real estate even though it is virtual? Would there be a way to get tax a tax write off for expenses regarding my land? Would I be able to write off any of the costs of internet or in game costs of managing the land with events and payments to players?

Thank you for your time reading this long post. I look forward to any advice y'all can give!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Justinen posted:

I had thought it would take far longer for a real measure of success but it seems if I keep this up the land may potentially pay itself off in 3-4 years. That is like an insane 20-30% ROI right?
Depends on what you mean by "pay itself off." Cover withdrawal and other fees? Cover some debt that you've taken on to do this? In either of those cases the return doesn't go to you. Double in value? There's little reason to expect that to happen with arbitrarily chosen game land, but it would be a 19-26% annual return if it did.

Justinen posted:

The income is going to sit and build unless it would be smarter to withdraw it in smaller amounts. Is there a penalty or tax reason that I should withdraw it smaller? Will a $4,000 withdraw from a game into my account get me a red flag on taxes?
Under US federal tax law, taxation would likely apply when you sell land for entropias, regardless of whether or when you withdraw the entropias. It would be simplest to withdraw at least enough after each sale to pay tax, and you should not reinvest funds that you owe for tax.

For individual taxpayers, capital gain on investments is taxed at the ordinary rate if the investment was held less than a year, and at the lower capital gain rate if held at least a year. In deciding when to sell land, you would want to consider the different tax rates as well as the bracket structure of each. Withdrawal fees occur separately from sale transactions, so you cannot count them against the gain. Even though entropias exchange with dollars at a fixed rate, they are a virtual currency and you would have to check the box on Form 1040.

Creating a legal entity might help you capture expenses like withdrawal fees, but I'm not an expert in that area. It's not a real estate business.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 22, 2022

Justinen
Mar 17, 2009
The land I own generates income daily based on the player activity. It isn't a piece of land that is resold for value, rather held onto and managed like a business. There will be a steady income of about $300-600 every month and I wasn't sure how to declare that on taxes. I appreciate your response!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
source your quotes

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
gently caress off gurf

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014
Please give us a 6 month update. I am curious to know exactly how sideways this adventure in rent-seeking went.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Justinen posted:

The land I own generates income daily based on the player activity. It isn't a piece of land that is resold for value, rather held onto and managed like a business. There will be a steady income of about $300-600 every month and I wasn't sure how to declare that on taxes. I appreciate your response!

Yeah that’s just regular income - if they send you a tax document, use that - would … a 1099-DIV be appropriate? Kind of! Edit: no not at all once I read more about the game. I have no idea what they’d send you if anything.

If they don’t send you any tax documents, you might want to put it on your 1040 schedule 1, line 3. If you don’t consider it a business, but rather a hobby (like if you play the game for fun and the money is totally ancillary), uh… schedule 1, line 8i?

Either way it just adds to your total income and you pay your regular marginal tax rate on that.

But, the main reason I’m here is to say that there’s no way you’re going to make that money back and you should try to claw back as much as you can right now. if someone is offering you double digit percentage returns and you don’t have to do anything except give ‘em thousands of dollars up front… No way, man. Come on.

SolTerrasa fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 13, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
How can you lose money on a game named after entropy?

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Justinen posted:

that worked out, right? you didn't just hand over money to a con man, right?

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
:allears:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Tungsten posted:

that worked out, right? you didn't just hand over money to a con man, right?

How do you know the OP wasn't the con man?

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

qhat posted:

How do you know the OP wasn't the con man?

the con man gets money but the op spent money

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

SolTerrasa posted:

the con man gets money but the op spent money

Or so he claims.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Justinen posted:

Any player who signs up under my link will start on my home planet of Arkadia (1 of the 6 unique planets) instead of somewhere else in the universe. I spend a vast majority of my play time on Arkadia and it will be easy for me to show you the ropes and whatnot.
  If you remember me mentioning how the game is about getting back the overall loss of 5% that the game makers take in the long run depending on your actions. I get a cut of that revenue (they take 4.75% and I get 0.25% essentially) for you signing up under my link and that is my incentive to grow the game with players and do my best making sure they stick around, learn to play smart  and love Entropia themselves.

If you are interested in learning a little bit about this unique game by all means ask any questions. If you are interested in trying please sign up with or without my link and I will help you either way.  Just contact my avatar (David Joker Potanus) in game, join the discord for my land area ( https://discord.gg/vV4FgS9pb9 ) or reach out to me on here at the SA forums.
  Thank you for taking the time to read this,  it is complicated and difficult for me to explain to people what I do without rambling on and on. I also realize this isn't the flashiest thread ever created.
seems like things probably went very well

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

the answer, o.p., is no. no to all. if it starts with "virtual" or "crypto," etc. it is not worth any money and it will not produce income. hth.
oh sorry for bumping this lovely loving dead thread i didn't look when the last post was.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Doctor Dogballs posted:

the answer, o.p., is no. no to all. if it starts with "virtual" or "crypto," etc. it is not worth any money and it will not produce income. hth.
oh sorry for bumping this lovely loving dead thread i didn't look when the last post was.

I would love an update on just how badly this went.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Sundae posted:

I would love an update on just how badly this went.

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
the lack of updates is an update in and of itself