Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Nothing says luxury like sitting on my 3'x3' balcony staring at the dumpsters, chain link fence, and neighboring apartment complex dumpsters. The sounds of air conditioners drowning out the swarm of trash eating seagulls. Yup that's the smell of summer right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Behold, a pittsburgh toilet in the wild

It's in the corner and there is a wall on three sides that's no Pittsburgh toilet.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
That's the kind of poor insight on the real Pittsburgh experience that I'd expect from someone that lives in the suburbs though.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Thoguh posted:

It's in the corner and there is a wall on three sides that's no Pittsburgh toilet.

The wall was built after the fact, I'd imagine

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Every bathroom should be a big open space covered completely in tile and with a drain directly in the middle. In the pursuit of luxury we have sacrificed so much.

piss guzzler 420
Dec 25, 2022

Behold, a pittsburgh toilet in the wild

enough with the selfies already!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

The wall was built after the fact, I'd imagine

So it was changed into something else and is no longer what it was, a qualitative poo poo

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
What if we did reverse mortgages, but worse

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So basically sell your property to us for the honor of becoming our easily abused renter. Fantastic :laffo: good healthy country

Apr 7, 2003

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So basically sell your property to us for the honor of becoming our easily abused renter. Fantastic :laffo: good healthy country

They also mostly operate in depressed midwestern markets, which sort of gives away their game

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I believe these target older people who are desperate for retirement money but not ready to sell off their paid off house

Apr 7, 2003

Joke's on them, once this company owns the house they squeeze the former owner with rent increases until they can't afford it anymore

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
we buy your house and in return you give all of the money you make selling it to us back to us in the form of rent

this scam can't possibly work right

Apr 7, 2003

spacemang_spliff posted:

we buy your house and in return you give all of the money you make selling it to us back to us in the form of rent

this scam can't possibly work right

It's the same as 30% APR buy here pay here lots, they're targeting people who know they're getting hosed but have no other options

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Oh yeah they absolutely get squeezed but the sales pitch is pretty appealing for say a 70 or so year old couple that’s looking at working until they die instead of having a retirement and they have this paid off house but don’t want to move yet

And anyway the value of the house is just going towards their end of life care or to their kids after they die

It’s a bad situation and scummy as gently caress but you can see why people fall for it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it seems to be the same cash for house ads that are all over poor and transitioning neighborhoods

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
bring Mao back

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

spacemang_spliff posted:

bring Mao back

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

drat how come the houses I like cost like 750k. is this what all of humanity through all of time has meant by life is unfair

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Salt Fish posted:

This is the letter I got last year. 2478 was my rent at the time.

edit lol I just saw that I already posted this in this very thread. sorry

What is going on with these rates? Did they just use a random number generator?

The original rate is $2,478.

A 12 month term is $3,539, a 3 month term is $3,118 and a 4 month term is $2,954, both cheaper than the 12 month term. But a 2 month is $6,392 and a 5 month is $5,995.

If you needed to stay 2 months, you could do a month-to-month for $8,856 total, 2 month term for $12,784, or a 3 month term for $9,354 total.

It looks like your best deal is to just keep renewing 4 month terms.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the best deal is 9 months for $5000 which is only $555 a month

edit

they put the 12 month at the top

that is the best deal. it’s like $250 a month

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

jjack229 posted:

A 12 month term is $3,539, a 3 month term is $3,118 and a 4 month term is $2,954, both cheaper than the 12 month term. But a 2 month is $6,392 and a 5 month is $5,995.

If you needed to stay 2 months, you could do a month-to-month for $8,856 total, 2 month term for $12,784, or a 3 month term for $9,354 total.

In 4 months the numbers will be completely different.

They are trying to have rental units come available at high-demand times and avoid rental units coming available during low-demand times. You can sidestep the whole system by choosing a long-ish term with a low-ish rate and then just paying to break the lease early, I got one of those when I knew I was moving out soon and it was dramatically cheaper to sign a 14-month lease and then break it 4 months in than it was to sign a 4 month lease, month to month, or 3 months +1 or something.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

jjack229 posted:

Someone is doing their first data science project.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

jjack229 posted:

In 4 months all the terms would be higher. most of the rental companies here use that system. more people move at certain times of the year, an example is generally folks want to be into apartments before the school year starts.

the system for the first year let’s one stay at the introductory rate. if you originally signed for $2,478 for eight months it’ll will let you resign for four (or just near lol )that rate. in four months the four month renewal will not be the same it’ll be a much higher rate, all the options will be very high. there isn’t any predicting what the various rates will be other than higher. even if they are advertising empty apartments at a lower rate all the rates will be 10% to 300% or more higher.

the only way to have the originally/ advertised rates is to move every single year.

my wife and I think that system is why this happened:

https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/womans-body-found-north-bend-freezer/281-e6a0b644-1bcd-45ab-a274-e99f3fd59ce6

they found them when they went to evict.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Twerk from Home posted:

In 4 months the numbers will be completely different.

They are trying to have rental units come available at high-demand times and avoid rental units coming available during low-demand times. You can sidestep the whole system by choosing a long-ish term with a low-ish rate and then just paying to break the lease early, I got one of those when I knew I was moving out soon and it was dramatically cheaper to sign a 14-month lease and then break it 4 months in than it was to sign a 4 month lease, month to month, or 3 months +1 or something.

it's this, OP. it's Revenue Management for the apartment industry, copying the airline industry and the hotel industry (I did this for 12 years in my corporate job).

in four months from that letter is when students are moving en masse around the country, so there's a wide uptick and they, or rather the computer collusion system, wants you the gently caress out so they can secure a high increase with a new 10-12 month lease. the system increases the rate if your timeline transgresses that boundary to account for the risk of you leaving a unit un-rented if they miss that window.

in eight months from that letter is the new year when, again, students are shopping and also many people structure vacations and moving dates to coincide with the holidays / changing jobs etc so they want you the gently caress out. same process applies. Combine with Number Go Up it's just a bunch of optimization problems making sure they get the most goddamn blood out of their lil fiefdom of stones.

... also yeah the convenient phrasing makes it seem like you're paying like less than $500 a month even though it's implied it's a monthly rate.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s literally the phrasing. there is nothing in there saying it’s the monthly price. it says it’s the term price

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

euphronius posted:

edit

those are the per monthly rates euphronius, not the term rates.

and these are places where things like: toddler fell out the unsafe third story window and died happens.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

those are the per monthly rates euphronius, not the term rates.

are there other pages to the offer which say that ?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

euphronius posted:

are there other pages to the offer which say that ?

OP said their rent was 2478, which implies monthly. The part of the letter we can see states 2478, so we can also imply that the other numbers in the letter are monthly.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
if you're out there doing pro bono tenant litigation on contingency then OK euph you're right

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Gunshow Poophole posted:

it's this, OP. it's Revenue Management for the apartment industry, copying the airline industry and the hotel industry (I did this for 12 years in my corporate job).

it’s also all the corporate apartments here. all of them use this same system. the system itself is also causing the churn it’s designed to exploit, by forcing a move after a year.

airlines and hotels have competition. they aren’t all using the same system.

so think your job but with monopoly power, and airlines and hotels let prices drop too. these rates are never ever lower. what’s presented is at best the same(if your term was less than a year and renewal is for within that year (so like six months then another six)), and after that only higher.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

euphronius posted:

edit

good luck with that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would 100% win that case

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

euphronius posted:

I would 100% win that case

lol remember what happened the last time a goon went up against a landlord in court

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Nothus posted:

lol remember what happened the last time a goon went up against a landlord in court

No but I’d like to read about it if you don’t mind

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Beached Whale posted:

What if we did reverse mortgages, but worse

In this situation how do they determine the sell price of the house? Do they at least meet the value based on the tax assessment? I'm assuming they do not pay market rates.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
tbf I'm a goon up against a landlord in court

we filed in January 2018, got class cert and a quick summary judgment in May 2021, for the most obvious violations on a huge scale.

the landlord's lawyer fled the country with a sizeable chunk of escrow funds

and having retained new counsel with the delays that granted him then appealed and we were sent back to the lower court on a semantic technicality in early 2023

it won't work. the law protects/binds etc it's for the rich

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

there has always been people offering quick cash for houses in poorer and redlined neighborhoods that takes advantage of desperate people

that appears to be the same thing. and then they just rent it back to you

edit

fixed typos 💩

euphronius has issued a correction as of 17:26 on Mar 19, 2024

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

euphronius posted:

there has always been people offering quick cash for houses in pooper and redlined neighborhoods that takes advantage of desperate people

that appear to be the same thing. and then they just rent i back to you

feeling better about my neighborhood now that I know other people are living in a pooper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

HashtagGirlboss posted:

No but I’d like to read about it if you don’t mind

Forums poster Flapyojacks posted in the doomsday econ thread about meticulously documenting all the ways their landlord was making poo poo up to screw them out of their security deposit and more for "cleaning" and was confident the court would agree with them once they presented their evidence. The judge summarily ruled for the landlord, case closed.