Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
https://twitter.com/Markzandi/status/1516541056317329414

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

I have no doubt housing prices are going to fall in response to average people not being able to max out their financing like they were before with rising mortgage rates. At the same time banks will swoop in to accumulate even more single family homes considering their cash heavy balance sheets as they rent them back out to the same people who were priced out in the first place. Overall an excellent state of affairs.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

https://brownstone.live/meet_the_pod

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

You, a moron: the fact that it could catch on fire and destroy the home is a bad thing
Me, a genious: free heating :smuggo:

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

Edit: wrong doomer econ thread lol

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

Lawlicaust posted:

Stick a fork in the market, it’s loving tanking. We had an open house today after doing a price reduction this week. One person came. We’re well under what would have been market value a few weeks ago and basically the only house on the market in the area with land that is in good shape.

Going to drop the price another 10% tomorrow and see what happens. Our agent said all her client’s properties are like this right now. No calls.

We’re still ahead on the house if we sell even with another 10% drop. Gonna be loving brutal in a month or two if we don’t sell though. I see a lot of houses in our range that haven’t changed prices and have been sitting for 30 days. And there’s pretty much nothing going pending.

The rate change looks like less of a correction than a full on panic, lol.

Yeah /r/RealEstate has been melting down over the current state of the market, at least you seem to have accepted that interest rates determine monthly payments which determine home prices

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

I'm imagining the type of people prepared to put that kind of money towards a house are also the type to have their stomach drop walking down that nearby part of federal street past the library by the beer store/adan market.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

Looks like everything is going great

https://encorebubble.com/price-decline/

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Stuff is still going contingent/pending at the usual rates in my zip code for this time of year. One just went contingent at $536k, hope that guy budgeted for the new interest rates.

They definitely aren't budgeting for the huge tax increase they're going to get when the school district appeals. I know several people that got like $400-$500 tacked onto their escrow due to appeals.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

elmira new york beckons you

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

Bold new vision from the Biden administration on the issue of rental affordability

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1618235179734298625

quote:

Under pressure to address the nation’s soaring housing costs, the Biden administration on Wednesday announced significant new actions to protect tenants and make renting more affordable.

The announcement involves multiple federal agencies that will gather information on unfair housing practices. It includes a “Blueprint for a Renters Bill of Rights” that, while not binding, sets clear guidelines to help renters stay in affordable housing. The White House is also launching a call to action, dubbed the “Resident-Centered Housing Challenge,” that aims to get housing providers as well as state and local governments to strengthen policies in their own markets.

They are going to issue a nonbinding resolution and ask others to do something, if they have the time. Thank you once again Joe for your ceaseless work in making America better every day.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

This place here was last sold in 2004 for $207K and it's still assessed at that.

The moment this place closes the school district is going to sue to reassess at that sale price, the guy who bought it is going to find that $519,900 @ 36.03 mills means he's paying $1560 a month in property taxes on an 1800 square foot house and he's gonna poo poo a brick.

If that's in Lebo I'm almost certain they're one of like, 3 townships where the school district doesn't sue

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

Silicon valley has, on an order of magnitude, more superfund sites concentrated in one area of the country than anywhere else. Semiconductor manufacturers would just dump toxic chip sludge onto the ground and now all these million dollar houses and billion dollar tech offices sit upon land that's leaking vaporous carcinogens through the ground lmao

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/09/silicon-valley-full-superfund-sites/598531/

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

Housing prices won't go down for awhile so long as the very rich can buy out properties in cash, higher interest rates are almost more advantageous for them since there's less competition. Then they can continue the trend of renting it back out to the would be buyers while expanding their parasitic borgs.

This only goes for residential though, commerical is pretty hosed now from what I understand and is basically a ticking time bomb.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

Sometimes when I'm out for a walk I'll pass by this abortion and chuckle to myself that they somehow haven't sold it for their $610k price tag in 7 months

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

Please refer to my earlier post about the Sunday St Gingerbread House

My wife is insanely pissed about that

That's a pretty cool house, not surprised the sellers agent lied to you about it, or that your realtor didn't question it, since they both stand to benefit from getting you ginned up.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol

Flood Risk for 1118 Sarah St

Flood Factor is extreme, 9 out of 10
Flood Factor™
This property has a 99.80% risk of flooding over 30 years. This property’s risk of flood is increasing as weather patterns change. Flooding in this area is caused by precipitation.

Flooding in the south side isn't as much of a concern so much as all the basements have foundations that have been leaking water like crazy for 100+ years so they're moldy death traps.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

City earned income tax is 3% and there will absolutely be a reassessment after sale to what they paid at 22.99 mills

I don't think the city is doing much in the way of reassessments right now. My neighbor bought a far more expensive house than that and hasn't been reassessed in 2 years, neither have I for that matter and I bought a little over 2 years ago.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

congrats on the move to beautiful Cranberry, Pennsylvania PFC!

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

central rat-lic

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

Isn't Austin so ridiculously hot and humid in the summer to the point where you have to stay inside where there's air conditioning?

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

can someone who is smarter than me tell me if this looks like a bubble or is it all good

https://twitter.com/JeffWeniger/status/1683490032110260226

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

What if we did reverse mortgages, but worse

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

quote:

Ed Helms, who is retired, and his wife, Johnnie, moved to a gated North Georgia community that partially sits in both Dawson and Pickens counties after living in Panama City Beach, Florida.

The couple sought to leave Florida due to the threat of hurricanes, increased traffic congestion, and elevated costs, The Journal reported. And while Ed Helms has encountered new development in North Georgia, he told the newspaper that it still pales in comparison with the sort of growth that he witnessed in Florida.

"Our property insurance was going sky high," he said of Florida living. "We got tired of being unable to find a place to sit in restaurants."

Billy Thurmond, a county native and the chairman of the Dawson County Board of Commissioners, told The Journal that some recent arrivals now stop him to express their frustration over the sustained development.

"People who have moved here now want us to put up a gate and stop anybody else from moving here," he told the newspaper. "It doesn't work that way."

Moving to rural Georgia because you can't get a spot at Applebee's is a hell of a move. I swear these people never consider practical things like "access to quality healthcare" and just want chain restaurants and golf carts, also lol at pulling the ladder up behind them immediately after moving somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

Snowbird brain is a hell of a thing and the people afflicted with it do not make smart decisions despite sometimes spending years anticipating and planning every last detail of their move. It's a group that already self selects for being so wildly bothered by cold weather and snow that they uproot their whole lives (and often gently caress up the lives of their families by constantly insisting that they visit) to move to one of the shittiest states in the country.

It's also a one-way trip for a lot of these people because they sell everything in their high CoL area to move to Florida, which makes doing the reverse completely impossible. As Florida gets even shittier and more unaffordable a lot of these people are going to keep chasing the dream in shittier and cheaper places.

I had a coworker move to Florida because she "hated the cold" and was convinced her kids who are barely scraping by would hop on a plane once a month to visit her. Two years later and she's grumbling that her ungrateful spawn haven't even visited her once and that she's lonely down there. Many such cases.