Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

anybody currently under the age of 60 will come to know "retirement" as when they turn 55, are thus more of a drain on the fossil fuel mining operation camp they live in than an asset, and are to be publicly executed for entertainment.

IT professionals usually get put out to pasture once they hit their 40s, so I'll be "retired" in a few years, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Ammanas posted:

buying a home without down payments is part of why house prices have escalated so much. small part but absolutely a part.

My loan officer was actively talking me out of 20% down. They kept insisting on 3.5% because the PMI would be so low it'd be better to save the rest of the down-payment for something else.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

will the upcoming recession drop prices? in some places at least there has to be a bubble.

Having lived through the last bubble run up then pop, I can say probably but not enough to matter. Anyone not already flush with actual cash (and not those bullshit services that offer cash on your behalf) won't be able to get a loan to buy anything, so it'll just be all the oligarchs buying up the rest of the housing supply at a discount.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

a primate posted:

oh poo poo

Yeah lol I'm in the industry and when I saw that I knew it was probably true.

*chuckles* I'm in danger

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

a primate posted:

are we in for 2008 v2 or something different?

I'm just a computer toucher so I don't have much insider information other than banks are seeing 'headwinds' over the next 6 months. That's all I know

Edit: as in I touch (repair) the computers of the people who do work in the industry. I haven't had the chance to gossip with anyone lately because most of the people in my office are still remote

Lacrosse has issued a correction as of 18:28 on Apr 23, 2022

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I did take some notes from the last employee meeting:

- 'significant headwinds', seeing a slowdown of mortgage originations already
- the aggressive jacking up of mortgage rates is loving up the banks' tap of endless free money
- Refinance and HELOC loans are down
- housing builds are getting stalled out due to a lack of labor as well as supplies, specifically garage doors which have 6+ month lead times
- commercial real estate had a slow start to the year but they expect it to get better with companies forcing return to office plans

Advice is "don't panic" :derp:

Lacrosse has issued a correction as of 18:37 on Apr 23, 2022

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

bonelessdongs posted:

lmao I thought 90k for a trailer was ridiculous but now there's a trailer going for 175k and 300/month in park fees. I have a friend who bought a house with a few acres for around that price three years ago

A trailer in my park sold for $200,000 and my lot rent is $900/mo :newlol:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Crusty Nutsack posted:

love having another thread to read that depresses me daily

We should change the forum title from C-Spam to Doomspam

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

shrike82 posted:

i'd be surprised if the majority of posters over 35 don't own a place

home ownership is still pretty common

I'm in this age range and own squat but I also live in the Seattle area. I'd have left a long time ago if it weren't for my entire extended family living nearby. I'd be worse off with no family safety net than just staying in Washington. I was talking to my grandma about moving away last year and she was trying hard to convince me not to do that.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Xaris posted:

do whatever you want that would make you happiest mang , planet's dying.

well, don't become a landlord.

and also dont buy a place that's in a drought / doesn't have good source of water. and also dont buy a place that requires alternating between AC/heating 365-days a year in order to not die. and also probably dont buy a place downstream of an chemical plant. and also dont buy one next to the highway. i would look at upstate NY or vermont like Adirondacks region if you could work anywhere though as a wfh stemlord. maybe midwest is fine too idk but at that point rural northern vermont seems much nicer.

Also don't buy downwind of a landfill or within earshot of a shooting range. Learn from my family's mistake.

Probably should stay away from airports too if you like to not get cancer.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Blockade posted:

Okay im touching computers and writing lovely manuals all day for a job when do I get the good tech money?

Yeah I'm touching the wrong computers also :(

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’m seeing price drops in Duvall and gig harbor.

I know people in Gig Harbor and trust me when I say you could not pay me enough to live there. Crime is so out of control there when I visited them last they insisted I stay the night because there's so many people drunk driving around the Key Peninsula after dark. They told me the crime went up sharply as soon as the Covid stimulus ended. I was driving to the state park and some dude walking along the highway whipped out his junk as I drove past. It's insane.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I would like housing prices to go down in places that I actually want to live, rather than Duvall or Gig Harbor

Sorry we need to save all those houses for AirBnB

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

CongoJack posted:

Imagine making 10 times as much money as a friend and not always buying drinks when you hang out.

The people I know who make more than me try to get like new prices for any old poo poo they're trying to get rid of

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

There was a house at Washaway Beach in Washington for sale for $200,000 last year that has probably already fallen into the sea

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

indigi posted:

people build houses on washaway beach?

It was known as North Cove and was a popular vacation destination in the 70s and 80s until it started falling into the Pacific Ocean at a rate of 100ft+ a year. The house I mentioned was two blocks from the water when it was on Zillow and is probably already 200' offshore by now

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Here's the effort post I made about Washaway Beach in the hiking/camping thread:

Lacrosse posted:

There's a place in Washington State called Washaway Beach that used to be the town of North Cove until it started falling into the ocean at a rate of about 100' a year starting in the 1980s. You can read more about North Cove here: http://www.washawaybeach.com/history/

Every year I'll see another house in the news that had fallen into the sea during a wind storm. There's actually one for sale right now, for $200,000 you too can watch your home and all of your belongings be taken by Poseidon. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1094-Blue-Pacific-Dr-Grayland-WA-98547/108179666_zpid/

Anyway, I've always wondered if it'd be uncouth to poke around Washaway Beach with a metal detector. A lot of these homes are several yards away from the ocean then a storm rolls in and they're suddenly under the waves within a day, so not enough time to evacuate valuables. There's probably a lot of cool poo poo buried in that sand.

edit: here's a great PDF of maps that show the course of the erosion from the 1940s up until 2013: https://www.co.pacific.wa.us/dcd/images/CAO/2016.03.31%20Washaway%20Beach%20shoreline%20predictions%20%202016-03-31.pdf

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Schmeichy posted:

We got a van with the idea of camping in it instead of living in it full-time, but before the pandemic we got a used dodge caravan that we outfitted with a camping storage station and bed. I think it was around 10k (we did a trade in). Hasn't needed much maintenance so far. It's also our daily driver.

I have been interested in doing this. I want something I can stealth camp in and work vans are too much of a break in risk because people think they're full of tools.

Also lovely work vans are now $10,000 when they used to be $1,000 :v:

Edit: to be clear I just want a weekend camper vehicle, I have a home I don't need to do the Nomadland thing. I want to go camping but thanks to the pandemic all the campgrounds fill up too quickly for me to compete, hence the stealth camping

Lacrosse has issued a correction as of 18:04 on Jun 17, 2022

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

i am harry posted:

and it’s a landfill for the northern metro area

It's fine, so many people can't smell anymore due to having long covid that they won't even notice

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

RE: mailboxes: I just moved back to my childhood home which was built in the 1970s and I noticed my neighborhood switched from the old school mailboxes to the multi box units. It's because of mail theft, the old mailboxes didn't have locks on them.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

euphronius posted:

I have noticed barely any slow down in house sales

houses are still selling in days. my neighbor never even had a open house.

they are probably all being bought by institutional buyers :(

That's great I hope someone wants to buy my piece of poo poo trailer park home so I can quit paying lot rent on it

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

One of my attic bats got into the main space. Bats!!

Real talk I hope you consider going to the doctor to get a rabies shot

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I haven't been touched or affected by any of them yet!

It doesn't matter, they can still get you without you noticing. I'm serious.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I live downwind from a garbage dump, it's a gross sour smell.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

sonatinas posted:

letting clover take over our back yard has done wonders for our lawn. barely have to mow and decent with drought.

I’m a few houses I’ve been in lately they all have irrigation systems. so wasteful.

My dad is your typical Boomer and giddy at the thought of poisoning all the clover (along with all the frogs that live there) on my side of the property. I told him don't you dare.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I went to pick up a berry bush from someone who is moving. I ask where they're moving to and he explains he isn't sure yet but they have to move out of this rental house because the landlords are overseas and won't fix anything in the house. The shower downstairs doesn't work, and their oil heating tank leaked 400 gallons of oil into the soil and continues to do so. They alerted the city who keeps sending the landlord fines but it still won't get fixed. It's been like that for months.

Pretty cool watching all these absentee landlords rotting all this housing stock into the ground while poisoning the aquifer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Having to pay to fix your own poo poo as a homeowner is the absolute worst. If tenant rights in this country didn’t suck so much poo poo, there’s a high chance I wouldn’t have ever bought.

Counterpoint: I lived in a trailer park and the power equipment that belonged to the park failed and it took me 5 years of fighting with the slum lord to fix it. If it was my responsibility I could have had it fixed way, way sooner. Living in a trailer park was all the bad parts of home ownership (paying for repairs on top of a lot rent), and none of the good.