Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Cabbages and Kings posted:

it's a mix, my current and former companies both transitioned to "remote for as long as needed / forever" mode and haven't changed that position

I have heard from plenty of other people in software that they are being requested back to the office

mostly this seems to cause the ~30-40% of people who can get another job on basically no notice to just go do that for whatever other remote thing comes up first, so, it's going to be interesting to see how that plays out.

i have worked at some places at least part of the way through brain-drain periods. it's not that you can't go through that and make money, because pricing in general and software specifically is detached from reality. but, product quality and customer experience always gets shittier when your motivated and smart people all decide poo poo's hosed, hit da bricks

edit: most software companies do not care about "product quality and customer experience". see: Facebook, Somethingawful, etc

Anecdotally, I’ve only of one coworker of my wife who moved from NYC to small town Tennessee then moved back within like two years. He had no clue what he was getting himself into and hated having to drive 30 minutes to a non-Walmart supermarket and was generally bored as hell.

Nobody made him come back, of course, so it’s not quite the same.

I wonder how many coastie computer touchers end up with buyers remorse. There’s gotta be stories of some couple emptying their stock to move into a small Appalachian town thinking they’re going to cosplay as cottagecore mountain folk only to be horrified at the reality of living in some of those areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

actionjackson posted:

moving to phoenix wtf

It’s “cheap” as far as the western US goes these days and you don’t get snow. That’s good enough for a large chunk of Americans even if everything else sucks.

FWIW I’d rather live there than Vegas.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I’d still almost rather rent somewhere with solid tenants rights than own, which is basically impossible in America these days. Couldn’t you basically inherit rent controlled apartments in NYC back in the day? I remember reading about olds with unbelievably nice flats in Manhattan and apparently a good chunk of them were passed down from nonna?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

“updated “ is a basically like checklist they run through for currently in trim and finishes to match what folks see on the tv.

my wife and I love honey oak and wood finishes which is currently extremely out.

For all the talk of wooden colored stuff being “out”, the first thing people comment on when they enter our house is how nice our heart pine floors look. I’m glad the last owner wasn’t stupid enough to paint over it or slap a cheap white carpet on it.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I would rent out the house and keep the tower as my fortress of solitude/place to practice wizarding skills.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Nah these kids live in the place, she’s a stay at home mom and has had like 3 kids in 4 years. I think this is their first home. I don’t think they’re flipping anything. it will take a long time for them to get out what they put in.

they don’t strike me as the types to have inherited wealth either but who knows. they drive very regular utilitarian vehicles and I’ve never even seen the dude in a collared shirt, nor dirty and sweaty from a hard days work so I’ve got no idea what he does for a living.

maybe it’s like Brewster millions but the great uncle is like “You only get my millions if you manage to be upside down north of a million on a house that isn’t even worth half that.”

Husband is probably a developer who had just enough stonks saved up to buy the biggest piece of poo poo house in SF and is using the remaining stocks for fixer uppery. That’s basically the only way even extremely well paid computer touchers can own property in the city these days. He doesn’t wear a collared shirt because most tech offices don’t care about dress codes, if he even works from the office ever.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

i say swears online posted:

property taxes rule, but they should be massively more progressive. i like graduated sqft tax rates

It’s very hard to find a well laid out house around 2k square feet or less here in my medium-sized Southern city. You either have sub-2k shotgun shacks or 3k+ McMansions. Some of the historic homes downtown are reasonably sized but they’re quite expensive.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

at least you're in the bay area, which makes the base minimum of sense. i'm at 1000/month for a 12x12 room in texas, 15 miles from downtown

Bay Area COL has been downright dystopian for years and I’m shocked anyone without rent control or Prop 13 protection still puts up with it there. Yeah, there’s tons of tech jobs there including many not available anywhere else, but surely a lion’s share of them are wfh now?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

that place is right next to this restaurant which looks fantastic

Olds love their mush.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

A Bad King posted:

How does anyone afford to put 20% down when starter homes begin at $360k. That's over 70k in cash. What the hell is wrong with this world.

Invest in the right tech stonks at the right time. That’s how we did it.

If we waited a year later we’d be SOL.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I paid 310k for mine back in early 2021. Good sized home (if anything a little too big) in a good school district in a medium sized city in the Deep South. We briefly thought about waiting because none of the historic homes downtown with big rear end porches and charm out the wazoo were on the market at the moment.

Thank gently caress we didn’t wait a second longer.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Non-luxury hotels suck. Low thread-count sheets, no kitchen, you risk sharing walls with a bunch of high schoolers making noise until late at night, gotta pay extra for parking if you’re in a city.

I hate what Airbnbs have done to housing and some hosts can be total assholes but but it’s just so much more pleasant in my experience.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

You can tell it's luxury, because it's expensive.

Why is it expensive? Because it's luxury.

Look at how shiny and new and modernistic the designs of these rooms are! Luxury!

*goofy space alien-rear end showerhead dispenses pathetic trickle of water when turned on full blast*

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Greg12 posted:

A decade ago, The Articles all predicted that old people would retire to college towns as golf course living in irrigated deserts and filled swampland lost its luster for the Woodstock retirees. The boomers of leisure could go to student symphonies, take classes, and get waited on by students instead of immigrants.

I guess Urbana and Bloomington don't have the appeal of Athens and Berkeley.

Urbana and Bloomington get snow. Olds hate being cold. Pretty simple.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Justin Tyme posted:

i imagine having two walls and an alley between houses does wonders for not annoying each other with loud music or house parties or barking dogs, seems like a fine tradeoff imo

Nah, worst neighbors I had had an alley separating us. They just kept all their windows open and blasted music while playing beer pong on the patio until late on weekday nights.

Dealing with neighbors who don’t even try to be quiet honestly ruined city living for me.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Both my wife’s family and my own have radically different schedules, bedtimes, noise tolerance levels, cleanliness levels, and social lives. We’d all be miserable under one roof. I don’t know how other multigenerational families make it work besides just sucking it up or making major compromises.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Elderly parents + one sibling who throws all-night keggers every weekend + other sibling with a wife and baby and real job is a very different dynamic from just “parents and kids”.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Ammanas posted:

theres an unfinished fixer upper in a borderline bad neighborhood that got bought in April 23 for $230k and is now listed for $399,999 l. no improvements were made, not even grey vinyl plank flooring. i hope that flipper gets run over by an electric hummer

That’s not flipping, that’s just plain old speculation.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

The Bay Area had bugfuck insane real estate prices before it was cool. My dad was already totally locked out as a teacher in Palo Alto making top pay by 2005.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

sonatinas posted:

that Sevierville graph is nuts. I guess it’s for pigeon forge/gatlinburg people?

My Boomer in-laws go every year when they can and use their timeshare. They have to reserve a unit like a year in advance and sometimes even then there’s no vacancies. Doesn’t surprise me in the least it’s a hotspot for airbnbs.

I always liked the NC side of the mountains more, personally. Way less of a grotesque tourist trap.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

It's useless land, though. It's not near anything interesting, it's unproductive, it does nothing. It's a maintenance liability.

owning land for the sake of owning land is the weirdest American poo poo to me, why would you want eight acres if it does nothing for you

I have a little under two acres. It’s nice to have all the extra space between neighbors and it’s all wooded so maintenance is close to zero other than occasionally clearing heavy brush and removing dead trees. Biggest expense is when a dead tree is threatening a structure and needs to be professionally removed and I can’t just let it fall down in the next storm.

I’m glad I don’t have any more land than I do, though. I don’t hunt or need grazing land and I don’t need to be so isolated that I literally never see my neighbors. It would just be more work.

ProperGanderPusher has issued a correction as of 16:17 on Jun 28, 2023

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Mail carriers deliver on foot here, has Nashville considered that

Too dang hot in the summer

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

About the size of the MP house I grew up in, but this one has no visible garage. My neighbors had similar sized houses and were largely teachers and plumbers who bought early enough.

3.5m goddamn dollars.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

My in-laws are talking to me about selling my house like it’s a foregone conclusion because staying in the same place forever isn’t the American way. At some point a measly 2.5k square feet simply won’t do and I’ll need a mcmansion for all the stuff my family will accrue and all the crap they expect us to inherit and keep.

Lol, I ain’t going nowhere except maybe to downsize to a condo when I’m too old and doddering to climb the stairs safely.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

The one real estate person I know claims there's a really weird split happening where regular buyers (who want a place to live) will routinely dip out on great deals because of some tiny little outdated imperfection, while all the assholes buying to flip or rent will just throw down huge bids on literally anything.

I don't know how true that is generally, but it's gotta be another feedback loop that's driving up prices if it's actually the case. If typical buyers are going around rejecting perfectly fine homes because of slightly worn hardwood floors or poor layouts, then there's a huge loving incentive for flippers to come in and do these dirt-cheap, surface-level remodels.

Makes me wonder if buyers are all watching House Hunters and are so impressionable they assume they need to turn down a house over something minuscule like the walls in the sitting room not being their favorite shade of blue or a tree across the street looking funny.

It’s just boomers watching garbage daytime TV and taking whatever it says for granted all the way down.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

If we could just afford a two bedroom apartment and not have our rent jacked way up every other year we would have seriously considered raising kids in the city. It had nothing to do with making sure our daughter didn’t encounter any poors or browns at school. As a matter of fact there’s more of those in the suburb we wound up in since they’ve all been priced out of the city along with us.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

A Bad King posted:

Why would anyone want to live in a cul-de-sac surrounded by highways on three sides, no sidewalks, and you cannot even get milk from the store without getting into the car. Teachers have to commute 20 minutes or more because they don't earn enough to buy into your tri-level cookie cutter hellscape. Yes, this is aspirational. Your children won't be confined to your 2300sq ft + back yard.

Make the suburbs pay for their own poo poo infrastructure and they will go away. Just stop subsidizing them at the state level. Bing bong!

Backyard? Nah man, gotta fill up the lot as much as possible with the house’s square footage. It’ll boost your property value!

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

anime was right posted:

we're selling my grandmas house and they have a filter that kicks up the brightness by like 5000 percent so rooms that arent well lit look like they have extremely natural lighting lol

its all false advertising now

They also add a wide lens to make them look bigger. And don’t forget the classics such as “paint over rot” and “hide wall cracks behind furniture and pictures and hope the inspectors miss them”.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Beached Whale posted:

Isn't Austin so ridiculously hot and humid in the summer to the point where you have to stay inside where there's air conditioning?

Yep, same goes for almost everywhere south of Mason-Dixon. You get up at like six to go for a run or mow your lawn or else you wait until 9 pm from May to late September.

In theory your AC costs are offset by a low COL but Austin has Bay Area prices on housing now so lmao.

ProperGanderPusher has issued a correction as of 15:38 on Jul 11, 2023

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I'm not a house expert but maybe this is a better deal than buying a horrid depressing modified office building in San Rafael, CA for a half a mil

Ew, flyover country. I might have to talk to a chud.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

You literally have to waive inspection to have a single chance in hell in some of the white hot markets. I don’t know anyone who bought in coastal California in the last 15 years who wasn’t forced to do it.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

aw frig aw dang it posted:

did they get free bats tho?

Nah, my one buddy just got plain old rats in the crawl space like a chump.

e: He couldn’t even hire his own guy. Houses at that time sold so fast he had to slam down a 50 percent down payment no questions asked and was drat lucky nobody with 100% cash swooped in to do it first.

ProperGanderPusher has issued a correction as of 16:59 on Jul 18, 2023

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

in a world where rents weren’t going straight to the moon, I actually kind of like renting an apartment. I don’t have to deal with yard maintenance, there’s property management support staff who are usually friendly and helpful, and if anything breaks then a maintenance staff person fixes it instead of me.

but alas, rents go up up up

Having to pay to fix your own poo poo as a homeowner is the absolute worst. If tenant rights in this country didn’t suck so much poo poo, there’s a high chance I wouldn’t have ever bought.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Not bad if you don’t mind being in the middle of bumfuck nowhere (I am tempted sometimes)

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Fozzy The Bear posted:

There are bay area houses for $500k, but you have to live next to black and brown people, so its not like a goon would ever buy them.

I wanna live in the same unincorporated Menlo Park neighborhood I grew up in during the 90s, complete with neighbors who did things for a living like teach kids and fix shitters. That’s my real home, not the east bay, and especially not places we only visited back in the day to stop for gas on the way to Tahoe. :colbert:

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I have an extremely loving hard time believing that the successful Manhattan full stack developer making $250K is moving to Ashland, PA to a house they paid $45K for and nowhere but Walmart to spend their money is causing all the problems.

Yeah, most Bay Area tech lords I know personally haven’t moved to true bumfuck nowhere. At most, one or two I know moved to unsexy cities like Saint Louis, but I think they had family ties. There’s one weirdo who wanted to raise cattle on the side in rural Texas but he was high enough up the chain that the company bent over backwards to make his dream come true.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Imagine the climate control costs on that piece of poo poo Texas McMansion. Not to mention the property taxes will be higher unless I manage to fool the taxman into thinking I have a ranch in my backyard.

I’d be happier than a pig in poo poo if I could lock in a property in SF.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I can smell the gross fake cookie Yankee candle stench from here

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I always wondered how the year round Christmas stores stayed in business. Then I moved to the South and met people who never put their decorations away and leave their fake trees up all year. I don’t know if they love Christmas that much or if it’s now a culture war signifier and they’re celebrating perma-Christmas to own the libs in their head or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

To be fair to your parents, a lot of people who have known genuine hardship also turn into irredeemable shitheads the instant their luck changes. American work ethic culture is toxic as hell and very few people manage to maintain any real perspective once they convince themselves they're finally getting what they "deserve."

What I hear from a lot of anti-union workers is every self-respecting man wants to be a business owner someday and who wants a bunch of loser peons demanding more of your money when you finally make it there?