Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Should I buy a house in Detroit? I'm starting to feel like a $95K house is the new $500 house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

went to look at a $150k house that hade the basement window punched out and the furnace (and gas meter) stolen

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

you're not "fixing" them you're replacing them entirely. it only makes sense when you're about to sell the house since you'll probably get more back than you put into it. otherwise it's an expensive indulgence, agreed

Sorry but pumping money into a house just for sale doesn't actually make sense.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

rabble rabble posted:

it's yet another pretty great standard home owning scam like deducting interest
this is what I mean by not making sense

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

OxMan posted:

Yeah i dont know who was buying a house in 2009 off 7.25 an hr or whatever the gently caress poverty rear end deathbelt wages they were getting. Nor 11.25 in CA. When was the fortunate timing for that wage, 1962?

plenty of people got in on the mythical "$500 house" in 2009 but I was too busy partying when I should have been studying the hammer

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

OxMan posted:

Non coastal states are wild. I dont think I've ever seen a house that didnt cost more than 300k (and I'm talking a normal rear end house not some trashed shack you have to demolish and rebuild over) , even as a kid in the late 90s i remember when my moms friends (all electricians, which i used to think of as soooo rich) were buying houses that was the going price. That there were states out there with houses actually buyable by people working regular rear end jobs in a post 9/11 world blows my mind.
don't get me wrong the $500 house (more realistically $3-5K) we're definitely run down shacks. I know some broad who built a tiny home in the backyard and only uses the house for laundry.

These things are like $20-40K now

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Relin posted:

i dont think people were meant to live crammed in vertical multiunit housing like an ant farm but i also think car culture encouraging megaburbs are bad

the very first villah s were multi unit housing hell what do you call a buncha families in a cave

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

can confirm that $60K is infinite money, feels good man

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

i say swears online posted:

it's been impossible to hang out with my friends downtown the last couple years just because they go to expensive places but i'm finding it super hard to show up at bbqs and pool parties now too because we just have zero in common

better than being friends with poors who are too overworked to hang out

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

i'm not saying every high earner is elon musk wealthy, i'm saying it's easy to avoid lifestyle creep and not doordash every meal. wsj regularly publishes "i make 500k and i barely get by" budget breakdown articles and they're essentially just trolling for engagement

it depends on if you have kids wether 150K feels like infinite money cheat or barely above minimum wage

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

TheSlutPit posted:

There’s nothing wrong with making $150k, but for many ppl it’s roughly the income level where you start being able to convert surplus cash into passive income. I actually have less of a problem with the $150k guy who’s goin nuts and spending all their money and having fun vs the guy trying to leverage it into landlording or real estate speculation.
both are dumber than the guy who just hoards it hall in the paranoid fear of a medical emergency

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

[quote="Deadly Ham Sandwich" post=""52347"] Complaints that it doesn't go far really remind me more of rich people talking about spending huge amounts of money and complaining about barely having anything left over to feed their family.
[/quote]

you just described being a parent

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

euphronius posted:

Detroit to Toronto is only 230 miles so …. you’d save money by living in Detroit and commuting

You can take the tunnel bus to the train station!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Illinois is a weird place. Set zillow to top out at $100k and have an evening of salmon pink toilets, shag carpet and wood paneling.

you can change these things yourself !

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

That's always been a meme with creepy alt dudes now I guess it's making in roads with normies

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

projecthalaxy posted:

Love to buy property on the cuban open market

love to squat just outside the reach of unarmed cuban police

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You can actually apply to cuba to study medicine. Rania Khalek interviewed a bunch of US students there when she was visiting.
https://ifconews.org/our-work/elam-medical-school/
It's a young person's program tho

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

I just got a house for $4000 idk what you Povertoids are complaining about

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

my $4000 house looked like that

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Housing update: My $4,000 house has cost me much more than $4,000 and is still completely unlivable

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Why debate the merits of renting vs owning when you can do both at the same time (it's bleeding me dry)

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

update: another 10 G down the drain in my $4,000 house

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Ammanas posted:

not to worry, you'll profit 10x when you sell

but then where will I live?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

lots of those mansions can be easily split into multiple apartments if needed. that's basically the entirety of whole neighborhoods in the northeast

every single college town is like this it's fine

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Hubbert posted:

this forum taught me that cooking at home is both classist and ableist so I support this kitchen configuration

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Willa Rogers posted:

interior = wreck confirmed, from the one inside pic on the listing.

lmao, a teardown that can't be torn down.

This is far from a wreck this looks like something immediately livable.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

mastershakeman posted:

we have a tiny kitchen without an island that seemed big coming from a poverty apartment but sucks horribly (and you have to go between the fridge and stove to get to the back door, basement door, and half bath); every other house has huge renovations to their kitchens. i guess when they were all built in the 40s/50s the assumption was the wife would stay at home cooking all day and no one would get in her way, but when two adults are both trying to use things to cook after work its just terrible.

Just take turns cooking. Sharing a kitchen is just asking for divorce.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

cool av posted:

yeah. cooking cannot be done simultaneously by two equal partners.

there's a reason why professional kitchens use military ranks

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

love the implication that the French military doesn't count

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

that's all you need tbh

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

look if you want your $250 back I'm going to need you to personally strangle a half dozen feral cats

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

any "door" sequestering the kitchen from the living space is a net good

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Just remembered my goonish friend who inherited the house when his mother died but instead of moving out of the basement he just rents out the first floor.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Finally got official proof from the Water and Sewerage Department that the waterline to my $4,000 house, that was listed as having the waterline cut on the city auction website and has been vacant since 2005, has actually been cut. So now the city will move forward on the permit to replace the waterline that was initially filed on November 15th.

Love that just the deposit for this cost more than the house.

Also love that the city says they will replace all the lead lines on this block for free within 2-5 years.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Asheville rocked bc some parts were so hilly they couldn't fit a house only trailers or tiny houses so you end up with elderly hippies and literal hillbillies living halfway off the grid in the middle of 4 million dollar mansions

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Failson posted:

Goon project: buy a block from the Detroit Land Bank.

Oh hey, Toledo has a Land Bank too!

Surely there are jobs and services and transportation there too!

willing to offer up my unheated uninsulated and unfurnished landbank house as a place to stay for any goon in need all you gotta do is dispose of the frozen corpse of the last guy

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Replace property tax with LVT

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Eh it's only worth it if you get the house for practically free. When I was house hunting in the open market the full rehabs were like $70-95K. I havent spent that much yet on my $4K house and I'm getting 100% all new poo poo.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

When I did the roof and siding for my house back in 2017 (~1800 sq ft) it was $30K for plain old lovely vinyl siding.

oh I am definitely planning on leaving the ratty lovely vinyl siding up untill it completely decays. I did get a new roof and gutters tho and my windows are coming in at the end of the month.

It's going to be real fun boarding them up again in the deas of winter lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Ya what could possible go wrong

ok but my deck is going on the ground so it's only got like like a few feet to fall when it inevitably collapses

War and Pieces has issued a correction as of 00:33 on Feb 12, 2023