Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Lacrosse posted:

IT professionals usually get put out to pasture once they hit their 40s, so I'll be "retired" in a few years, lol

Get a union job.

For everyone else, https://www.naca.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

WaryWarren posted:

My union (local gov't) just announced our new three year contract.

January cost of living increases:
2023 - 3%
2024 -2.75%
2025 -2.25%

I know people who work in gov't in other parts of the US, and they got 8% COLA (not including any merit increase) this year and probably for the foreseeable future too. Someone in suburban King County told me two out of their four health care plan options cost $0/month for a single or couple. Also, our contribution to medical insurance went up 20%. :fuckoff:

I am only getting 2% cost of living but they put more into the merit portion. I think at bargaining management was pushing hard to get the money into the merit side. 7%/5.5%/4% but the next 2 years can go up if inflation is still high. Why are they loving with you guys?

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

i used to get those a lot when i lived in big corporate landlord properties. they're algorithm generated price sheets. the property management has no idea why they are what they are either, no one does.

Maybe they come from that collusion software package that all the big apartment complexes use now.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Beached Whale posted:

Moving to rural Georgia because you can't get a spot at Applebee's is a hell of a move. I swear these people never consider practical things like "access to quality healthcare" and just want chain restaurants and golf carts, also lol at pulling the ladder up behind them immediately after moving somewhere.

This has been going on forever. People from Florida tend to retire "up in the mountains" which means north Georgia, west NC or east TN. My parents used to dream about doing this 30 years ago. If they can afford to hang on in Florida, they also tend to do the snowbird thing and go up for the summer. It's the same deal as people from the Northeast coming down here: lower CoL, cheaper property.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

ProperGanderPusher posted:

East TN seems red hot at the moment for chuds, both working and retired. Boomers love retiring around Gatlinburg, while Johnson City and Knoxville have become a draw for people my age who want to put down roots. Small town north GA was super cheap until very recently but that’s changing FAST. There were gross brand new subdivisions popping up in Canton left and right when I visited last year.

West NC is already too expensive and housing prices in Asheville have been bonkers since before Covid.

Oh yeah I'm sure this is all true, and no doubt retirees from Florida are pushing a lot of the increases. Just to say that this isn't some kind of new thing, that the Florida retiree heading to southern Appalachia has been going on for many years.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

Lol a place a couple blocks from here that was listed at 1.35 in late 2022 and pulled off the market because it didn't sell just relisted at 1.8 and went pending in 2 days 💀

1.8 hundred thousands huh? Not so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Ornery and Hornery posted:

any good case studies of cities in USA that regulate short term rentals?

Sarasota county in Florida does, there was a popular twitter thread from a while ago where someone who rats on illegal Airbnbs posted some of the death threats that they were getting on FB.