Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

no one does 20% down without a gift and it's annoying that people pretend it's a thing. you do 5% down and eat the $100 a month PMI, because housing inflation goes faster than being able to save

only second home buyers have to front 20% and the idea that you need 20% stops loads of people who [could afford] a house from even looking into it.
I ONLY knew about this because I asked my brother-in-law straight up what they paid to get into a $200,000 house almost a decade ago and his answer was $10k and I was like wtf I can get that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Mola Yam posted:

australia and canada have been at the bottom of these kinds of lists for a decade, i would cut off my nuts for a <5x median multiple, so i guess what i'm saying is stop complaining? but also it sucks everywhere.

from 66 and live near 75 :cool:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

airbnb + ~0% interest for rich people has ruined housing in the US for multiple generations, just like the "right to buy" council housing in the UK

houses in England being £1mil when I was a child primed me to panic when the prices of houses here didn’t stop rising during the pandemic

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

neither I nor my new partner makes enough money to feel comfortable with a $2k mortgage payment so I guess we'll just be stuck in my apartment for another couple years until rent is $2400
im afraid of this happening for everyone.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ammanas posted:

because working is the only way to access the health care system?

actually not working gives you better healthcare in the United States of America it’s called Medicaid and works exactly like insurance except you don’t pay anything because you’re poor and the United States of America uses it’s ability to collectively bargain on behalf of all people on Medicaid to set the price for services and drugs

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ammanas posted:

my wife was on medicaid years ago and she literally could not find a single doctor that'd take it to sign up with so anytime she needed care she went to an ER

maybe its better now with ACA but back then it was functionally useless

that was by design to punish the poor. there’s literally very little help for you if you live in a state that salivates at punishing the poor*, but there are some noticeable differences in big metros, and bluer states - you can get healthcare professionals to give you care. here in Colorado there’s an entire network of hospitals that specifically takes Medicaid (Good Samaritans).

here’s what we’ve got for being poor:

-two* children via cesarian birth, multiple days in the hospital both times
-home health nurse visits for the first six months*
-doctor visits for the kids*
-dental that has covered thousands for them*
-$450 food stamps a month that roll over*
-visits to the doctor and follow up visits to physical therapy twice a week for six months
-exploratory foot surgery to remove microscopic shards of glass
-endometriosis surgery

$0

literally the best financial choice you can make in america if you live with a partner and have children is to divorce, move together to a blue state, have the lower earning parent claim all kids as head of household, and immediately get universal healthcare.

*all of these with the first child in Louisiana.

i am harry has issued a correction as of 07:49 on Apr 24, 2022

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I just read a reddit post by an ex realtor who lost his $100k job and then paid all his bills with credit cards and now owes $30k across four of them and now has less than zero dollars at the end of every month before even buying food.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/uab76k/im_drowning_i_need_some_advice_critique_anything/

lmao why the gently caress would you play by the rules and pay your bills when you could have just…not, for the majority of the last two years.

we live in an unjust country and gain nothing by treating america justly.

i am harry has issued a correction as of 07:54 on Apr 24, 2022

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

why don’t we talk about what can actually be done with home equity because I’d like to know; house value increasing 50k since purchase doesn’t mean poo poo if all the other houses are doing the same. it’s not like any of us will sell and be able to move into a more expensive house for less money.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I'm still dealing with the identity shock of being a lifelong marxist that graduated into the 2008 recession and that lived like I was totally broke for a decade regardless of how much I was making, to having the fortune to be able to buy a townhouse in early 2020 at 2.7% and watching the value skyrocket 25%

am... am I lib now???

there are millions of homes empty all over the planet, being rented out on a daily basis. securing one as permanent dwelling for yourself and family is not at all bending a knee to capitalism.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

lmao the decrepit grain silos that once served as the heart of every small town across the entire country are in the back yard lol

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I’d like to take a moment to say one of the things I hate most in this universe is a kitchen sink facing a wall with no window to gaze out of while doing the dishes

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

The old kitchen even had a window so it would be a simple replacement but ya idk.

unbelievable

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Agreed, and I practically begged the homeowner to spend the extra $500 for it but nothing doing. The old kitchen even had a window so it would be a simple replacement but ya idk.

Thank you :) to be clear, it’s not mine .. my kitchen is old and lovely. Here’s what It looked like before, the house was abandoned for years and the whole house had to be gutted:

https://imgur.com/a/0528Aoa
clicked that and then under it was this

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/IlhZ60H

lmao what the fuuuuuck

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Casey Finnigan posted:

the bathtub at my place is too small to actually take a bath in. it's designed for people who are 4'6" or something. it's bullshit

main reason for buying imo

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

they should be killed

I’ll go first

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

spacemang_spliff posted:

every winter i bring up getting a hot tub to my fiancee and every year she (correctly) says "no you dumbass"

get a jacuzzi bath, simple

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

30.5 Days posted:

Yeah but if she does her job wrong all that happens is someone dies or maybe gives the hospital system even more money. If a corporate guy fucks up, that spreadsheet is gonna be a disaster.

I perish the thought of what happens if someone in marketing screws up

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Mod edit: removed some personal information

Somebody has issued a correction as of 16:54 on Apr 27, 2022

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Mod edit: removed some personal information

Somebody has issued a correction as of 16:54 on Apr 27, 2022

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

followed a story about a colorado inmate testing positive for bird flu because they were bussed to montrose, in the sw corner of the state, to kill infected birds, to looking for houses for sale there.

lmzo

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/130-S-3rd-St-Montrose-CO-81401/111197921_zpid/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

it’s also like way the gently caress out in the middle of goddamn nowhere

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

let’s go in on some land together and grow a field of weed

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

half a mil to buy an old people only apartment in a 15 unit building right next to a road that never doesn’t have cars driving on it and serves as one of the main roads into Estes Park

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

euphronius posted:

the window AC unit is visible op

as is the sink that can’t fit a single dish

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

looking down at the rippling viewing pool, Zxhrg sighed.
~“I know…” concurred the eminent representative from Kk’lmeb, as its free-floating tentacles glided in frustrated consolation.
“every developed species in the entire galaxy realizes the need to kill all landlords…!”
~“yes…”
“yet these feckless humans do nothing!” Zxhrg thumped his many appendages against the viewing receptacle.
the pool rippled.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

all my toilet seats have soft towel like material covers on them because I don’t like a cold bum

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

wolfs posted:

what if you miss and poo poo on the towel

they’re held over the seat by a small plastic ring that sits inside the fabric. when you piss and poo poo all over yourself and one, you can just take it off and pop it in a washing machine

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ammanas posted:

enjoy your feces covered seat

we all enjoy our feces covered toothbrushes and asses :shrug:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Harold Fjord posted:

Good for your immune system

obviously poster Ammanas keeps their toothbrushes in hermetically sealed containers located in a separate room from their toilets, and always puts the lid down and then covers the toilet in clingfilm before flushing their massive wet shits…but the rest of us have toothbrushes covered in aerosolized feces :science:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Harold Fjord posted:

I know. I'm saying it's right and healthy.

:glomp: I’m just adding context for the rest of the thread

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

bawfuls posted:

we closed yesterday so now my stress shifts to making the place livable before the first mortgage payment is due in july so we can avoid paying double rent

7 weeks to paint, replace gross stained carpet with real flooring, and knock down a weird hanging wall

post the photos

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Mad Wack posted:

strongly suggest the toto c200 washlet bidet seat - it not only bidets your bum but it'll learn your pooping pattern and keep the seat warm for you, also it sucks up the farts while you are pooping just all around A++ toilet upgrade

e: oh but holy poo poo get it on sale i got it for like 200 bucks and now it's 800???

I can definitely afford that for $200

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

that home now has a pending offer lmao

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Cassette Moodcore posted:

my spouse and I have been trying to save up forever for a down payment on an apartment or townhome, neither one of us were blessed with a family to help with a down payment

our rent payments are way more than a mortgage would be, but banks won’t give us a loan because we don’t have enough for a proper down payment

death to all landlords, steal smoked fish

a proper down payment can be as little as 3%…but now there’s interest rates and a loving appraisal gap that could cost you forty extra grand

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

is there going to be some pittsburgh-philidelphia back and forth or did i miss that? please god tell me i missed it

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Springfield Fatts posted:

Ugh my wife and I are middling state employees and we've always been able to live comfortably and debt free while able to save up a 20% deposit for this house (it helps to be childless shut-ins with cheap hobbies) but gently caress me I have never felt poorer in my life than during this process. A nice reality check that we're firmly in the lower part of the middle class.

why are you saving up 20%?!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Claremont, California...$922k.......................

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I believe americas policy is that if you can’t figure it out you’re welcome to die under one of the millions of beautiful PNW trees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

ive seen one of these!

Only registered members can see post attachments!