Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ammanas posted:

yeah youre priced out of a home, save diligently for retirement and marry a high earner.

that'd be my conclusion as well, save for retirement and focus on personal life, both are highly worthy goals on their own and can potentially lead you to home ownership/secure housing down the road (and give you greater flexibility)

e:

19 o'clock posted:

thing is: I’m an accountant. I took the CPA exam out of my own pocket because I thought it would be a good career move.

the local bus service is offering the same bonus to new bus drivers as I would receive once I get my license at this job.

interest rate hikes over the past two months wiped out ~$90k in buying power. what really sucks is not only knowing I’m too poor to afford a home but also being excessively skilled in articulating it in myriad forms of hard numbers.

that really sucks

tbh I think this is an issue with a bunch of relatively "higher status" but low-ish pay white collar jobs at the moment, which have been used to taking advantage of stagnant wages and sense that they're something to be aspired to, and because they're "professional"/often were able to be at least partially remote/didn't suffer as much COVID-turnover have been slower to adapt than public-facing hourly service positions

I might just be generalizing too much from my wife's experience trying to hire people for back office positions at a credit union, which has incredibly good benefits but is objectively underpaid (something she's not in a position to address atm, despite her efforts) - it's hard to sell people on the idea that a job is a "career" or keep talented people if [absent benefits] working at a literal car wash pays about the same

LGD has issued a correction as of 20:21 on Apr 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Eason the Fifth posted:

Yeah I just bought a house back in Dec and it was just a bit past what my wife and I could afford (the mortgage is affordable but the repairs it needs means I need a raise or a new job with higher pay). But there wasn't any choice; we both saw the writing on the wall about interest rates getting jacked up so it was then or never. We squeezed in with a 3%, which is good for sure, but lol the joke will be on us when prices drop and we're paying on a house worth less than the loan. Lmao.

chances of that are very dependent on what area you're in tbh

like a co-worker at my old company who lived in Michigan was underwater on their house until like 2017-2018 after the last crash, but Portland, OR basically just saw a small dip and then held steady

congrats on getting it locked in though, even with issues/deferred maintenance, it seems better than the alternatives

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

lol

have you looked at the Boise (and Boise area) property market lately my dude?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Everyone Zillow your childhood home
Mine: $289,500 for a 4 bedroom ranch in a town mostly known for meth

~$720k for 3bd 2ba 2k square feet with a moderate yard (lot just under 1/4 acre) in an old PDX suburb (right where the county lines start to get blurry)

my parents sold it for $180k in 1998 lol