Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Problem description: Monitor no longer powers on. The blue LED next to the power button comes on, I think, but I remember it being dimmer than normal. Importantly, I can't bring up the OSD or switch inputs. I'm pretty sure it just failed due to old capacitors, because I've had the monitor for like ten years.

My real problem, right now, is: how the hell do I open this thing up to look at the circuit boards? The last time I did this was around when I got this monitor, a decade ago, and I don't remember it being this kind of a problem. Unsure if it's a brand difference or I just forgot. This repair guide: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/ASUS+VG248+Disassembly/71911 is for a different model from ASUS, and so I'm not certain it disassembles the same way. I'm at Step 4, where the guide says "Okay, now grab the front bezel and pull it off, but also without pushing against the screen." And I'm just going "wait, how? This seems on there pretty tight, I'm not sure how I can get this off. Do I need to buy a special plastic pry tool?" (I should probably get this.)

Attempted fixes: I took the stand off the monitor. That's as far as I got regarding disassembly before being stumped by the bezel. (Technically I also tried pressing the various buttons to see if it would come back on that way.)

Recent changes: No recent changes. It just stopped one day. Monitor has a manufacturing date on the back of March 2010, which means I've used it for almost twelve years (I forget exactly when I got it). It came with a three year warranty, and replaced a Sceptre that had failed after fifteen months of use (twelve month warranty). It's a fuckin' champ, first as a primary monitor and then as a secondary, and I'd like to see if I can bring it back the way I eventually did with that Sceptre by recapping it.

--

System specs: ASUS VH242H, 1920x1080 60Hz monitor, about 24" diagonal, TN panel. Manual here, but sadly only a User Manual, not an actual Repair Manual.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Does the iFixit guide for a different monitor count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Vavrek posted:

And I'm just going "wait, how?

I'm not an expert on this stuff but I know some monitors are harder to disassemble than others.

I recall some complaining about certain models being seemingly impossible to take apart without causing damage.