Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

I was getting lunch at Chipotle when this lady looking in her late 30's was asking people for cash outside. I lied and said I didn't have any cash.

After eating, I went into the grocery store for some bread and peanut butter. She approached me inside the store asking that I buy her some alcohol if she gave me cash because she didn't bring her ID. I declined, but she followed me for a bit asking repeatedly. Eventually she left for another part of the store.

Would you have bought a (possibly alcoholic) stranger booze?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Never in the store or anything but I’ve bought pints for people I’ve just met in bars before if they’re friendly

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I bought some weed for a homeless guy one time so I guess that’s a yes.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Like if they gave me the money and were clearly of age, as you described? Of course, why wouldn't you?
I have also given many strangers beers.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I bought a homeless guy a red bull, some chocolate and a newspaper the other day. That was probably about as bad for his health.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Yes

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Weka posted:

Like if they gave me the money and were clearly of age, as you described? Of course, why wouldn't you?

Because every aspect of the situation the OP described is sketch as all hell.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Probably a sting operation

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Weka posted:

I have also given many strangers beers.

gently caress that, someone asking you to buy beer in or outside the grocery store because they don't have ID? That's probably a $1000+ fine in a lot of cities if you were to get caught doing it, and pretty sure some cities even have sting operations for it...

Although buying beer for strangers is a good gesture though.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Fred Dawes posted:

I was getting lunch at Chipotle when this lady looking in her late 30's was asking people for cash outside. I lied and said I didn't have any cash.

After eating, I went into the grocery store for some bread and peanut butter. She approached me inside the store asking that I buy her some alcohol if she gave me cash because she didn't bring her ID. I declined, but she followed me for a bit asking repeatedly. Eventually she left for another part of the store.

You're full of poo poo, OP.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Beer? No.

Food or water? Yes.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

You Are A Elf posted:

Beer? No.

Food or water? Yes.

This. I have done this before.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Chrs posted:

Never in the store or anything but I’ve bought pints for people I’ve just met in bars before if they’re friendly

this. buying a stranger a pint in a pub almost feels like a drinking rite of passage, it's weirder to me that people haven't done it

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
If someone looks in their late 30s to me, there's no way they're getting carded, so something else is up. Nah, I might spot ya if you look like you need a drink, but buy it yourself.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I give people money if they ask for it and I have it and they ask nicely usually. I see this indigenous guy playing didgeridoo alot and I toss him a few coins whenever I've got them.

There was a real rude frantic lady asking for money outside the pokies and I didn't give her anything because she was kinda mean.

I dont personally give a poo poo what they spend their money on. Once that money hits their hat/hand it's theirs. I guess I hope they don't gamble with it? But whats a few coins anyway?

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I've bought a drink at a bar for new 'friends' I had met that I'd almost certainly never meet again but were being kind and giving another stranger, me, fun conversation.

I quickly learned not to give to people asking for something on the street after I moved to Philadelphia. If they have a sign asking for $2, they want $5. If they're asking for $5, they want a 20. If they're asking for food, they want a 20. If you give them the food they asked for, they get mad and ask for more or for more money instead. And if you live near them and they know you as someone who gave in and gave them more, your rear end is now a target for them every future time you happen to show your face again.

I told this to my brother when he came visiting there from Wisconsin. We ran into some guys 1/4 block from my apartment who were begging him to buy them a bag of chips because they were so hungry. I was urging him to GTFO and told him once we got far enough away that they weren't homeless and actually owned and operated a laundromat together a block away and were taking him for a sucker. My brother went into a convenience store and bought a bag of chips anyway. Handed it to them. He immediately got "Thanks but what I REALLY need from you is..." and then the new expanded list of money and food demands was unfurled. I hate to say I told him so but I told him so. I've given just barrels of money to things like charities to help people in need but I don't give direct handouts on the street anymore. Once your kindness gets you a middle finger a couple of times, it's over.

(EDIT: A person used to sit outside of the building I worked at downtown holding a sign of her supposed ultrasound image. She'd say something like "care to spare a penny for a pretty pregnant lady?" as people passed. Except she sat there with this ultrasound image for another year. And 2. And 4. And I'd watch sympathetic people dump cash into her lap every day. I'd assume tourists who hadn't seen her sitting there pulling the same act every day yet. Once you run into enough people like that, you stop and look at someone begging on the street with a much, much, MUCH more critical eye before opening a wallet.)

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 23, 2022

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
You can buy children cigarettes and alcohol as long as they aren't on the store property when you do.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Billy Ray Blowjob posted:

You can buy children cigarettes and alcohol as long as they aren't on the store property when you do.

You can let babies fly airplanes as long as they don't get caught

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Big Beef City posted:

You can let babies fly airplanes as long as they don't get caught

Look not all of us grew up in Alaska.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Chrs posted:

Yeah the sports bar I frequented in Houston I'd often run into Philly sports fans who were chill and we'd buy rounds or poo poo

Or offer to buy for some lady and be turned down 95% of the time :saddumb:

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
in that situation? hell no, that's the behavior of someone jonesing for something harder

if that same bum was at a bar and wasn't obnoxious? hell yeah, take a load off

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Sometimes. Homeless people, usually. They have it rough. A lot of them don't drink either, but a beer is currency in any case so I will occasionally offer one. I dislike solicitation and understand why others feel that way, but not everything is a scam. The point of kindness is kindness.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Unless it's a really nice beer, like Guld Draak. Then I become quite selfish.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Strangers should steal their own beer.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Beer for an awkward handjob seems like an acceptable trade

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Outrail posted:

Beer for an awkward handjob seems like an acceptable trade

I usually just give the homeless a handjob regardless

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Yaldabaoth posted:

You're full of poo poo, OP.

In this case, I actually believe them. When I was a cashier, I saw this situation more than once, sometimes beer, sometimes cigs.

Most stores have a very hard-nosed approach with vice items, as you can get in some real trouble if regs aren't followed, at least where I've lived.

It used to be that you didn't have to card folks that looked over 40, but at Walgreens you have to scan a customer's ID these days.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Seems too weird to be a sting, they usually target the alcohol license holder directly by using undercover. Might have been a homeless person who lost their ID and needed a fix, it’s a hassle to get certified state documents if you have no address. That said, I will always help a beer bro in need.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

One time I went to see my friend’s band and I was standing outside the venue and this underage kid comes up to me and asks if I would buy him some beer from the liquor store across the street. I said “sorry man, I’m only 20”. He said “yeah me too, thanks anyway”. I was 40. There’s no way he really believed I was the same age as him.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
My license expired and i didn't renew it for a while last year and people wouldn't let me buy alcohol. I thought it was stupid cause it still shows my age but whatever. Anyway i never asked a stranger to buy the alcohol for me, i would feel weird doing that but I'm also a goon so

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I've bought beer for many strangers but not usually in the scenario you described. Mostly just when I am really feeling it on something and feel an unnatural love for humankind.

In your story I would've done it as well but they'd have to pay double to cover my drink, obviously

As a kid I paid I paid many a hobo to buy liquor for me and you best believe they took their cut

Play fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I used to buy booze for other teenagers when I was an underage teenager. Got kicked out of a few music venues a few times for buying rounds; got left in the pub a few times after everyone else got kicked out. Good times.

Never did it as a legal adult. Police take a different view of that.