Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Poohs Packin posted:

The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell

I wonder what the mitochondria count of neanderthals was. I bet they could do all sorts of jedi poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Yaldabaoth posted:

Some people want to believe that ancient humans fit the "Magical Black Person" archetype. It's like the complete opposite of people who think ancient humans were complete dumbfucks who needed aliens to build everything for them.

what you were going for was "Noble Savage" myth

and that sort of thinking has been mostly debunked in the last couple decades, because ancient peoples were just as smart as we are. just not as many fancy tools and a distinct lack of individuals hoarding wealth, see longhouses

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
People built longhouses to compensate for their short manhoods (weener)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

stratdax posted:

A lot to unpack with this comment. What do you mean by "cultural significance"? Keep in mind the articles edited the original archaeologists quotes to hell and back, so what might seem to be some bold claims might actually be clearer in the published paper that it's total hypothesis or supported by evidence. Also, here's a quote from the article: "Some of the burning must surely be associated with lighting in such a dark location, but only further discoveries from this or other sites will show us how common were such deep cave occupations in the ancient past, and what their purpose might have been."
Not exactly a controversial statement.

My partner is an archaeologist in a region with much more modern human activity and a clear picture of the historical record, and she certainly doesn't attach what the motivation might be for a site outside of "shelter", "trading route", "hunting ground", "garbage dump", or how things were used without objective evidence. For example, there's a small item they keep finding all over the region they just call a "whatsit", because the cultural knowledge has been lost (well, purposely eradicated by the colonizing government) and they aren't about to just guess and officially declare what they were used for without some clear evidence.

i used to mod a minecraft server and 80% of all people, given all the power in the world to create whatever, will just build some stairs into the air to nowhere until they get bored

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Maybe it was some sort of musical instrument. I remember watching a documentary years ago in which they were exploring a cave. They found a bunch of knuckle marks on many of the stalactites. One bearded archaeologist thought music had been played on them, then he went over and hammered out a jaunty little tune himself.

I've been looking for videos of it but all I can find is the Great Stalacpipe Organ of the Luray Caverns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm1_aCjrC5o

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

OMFG FURRY posted:

what you were going for was "Noble Savage" myth

and that sort of thinking has been mostly debunked in the last couple decades, because ancient peoples were just as smart as we are. just not as many fancy tools and a distinct lack of individuals hoarding wealth, see longhouses

I remember when I was a kid there was lot's of media making fun of the fact that people used to believe the Earth was flat. Most people don't believe that and never did but if some future archaeologist starts looking up reddit, twitter, youtube etc. he could come to the reasonable conclusion that many people today believe the Earth is flat. So many that it might actually have had an effect on major government decisions.

My point is, smart people have existed throughout history but they have always been outnumbered by idiots.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Are they stalac-dos or dildo-mites?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

stratdax posted:

Weird posts itt. Are you even talking about this finding specifically anymore or arguing against something you've built up in your head or what.

Yaldabaoth's gimmick is that every single on of their posts revolves around human beings (typically white males) being the single most negative force possible in literally the entire universe* regardless of subject or flow of conversation, and how far they can push that without someone noticing. They've gotten really good at it and I almost feel bad for spoiling it for others because it took the magic out of it for me once I realized.
Just make a mental note of it and look for their av next time you read a post and are like 'wait, what?'. Or look at their post history.

* not that they can't be construed as such. It's just that for every thread that starts with "I had a peanut butter sandwich today" them posting "Actually the only reason peanut butter exists is due to nearly a millenia of slavery pushed by whites which destroyed entire civilizations and resulted in the dancing negro trope ending with Mr. Peanut that we have today" every single time they post is...a bit much.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 25, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

neanderthals had make-work, too
"Nah boss, can't go hunt mammoths today... gotta stack these rocks"

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I bet the Neanderthals wrapped those rock dildos in fresh mammoth meat before using them. They may have been primitive but they weren't stupid!

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I unironically love threads like this because someone will post something genuinely like "wow look what scientists found out" and the thread is either completely disrespectful responses (but funny ones, I mean) mixed with honest posts that are educational from users who actually work in the industry,studied it,etc

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I hate them Neanderthal mfers

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Floodixor posted:

I unironically love threads like this because someone will post something genuinely like "wow look what scientists found out" and the thread is either completely disrespectful responses (but funny ones, I mean) mixed with honest posts that are educational from users who actually work in the industry,studied it,etc

99% of the time it's dicks and turds, but honestly the photo makes such posts extremely easy

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

That's pretty neato. :)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i still think its a fence/pen

its 300m from the entrance cause it smells bad

source: i am as cumb as a daveman

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Anyone up for stalagmite and chill? 420 friendly

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

its actually where the Neanderthals destroyed their dildo stargate so Anubass and Whoreus would quit stealing their hottest villagers

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Big Beef City posted:

* not that they can't be construed as such. It's just that for every thread that starts with "I had a peanut butter sandwich today" them posting "Actually the only reason peanut butter exists is due to nearly a millenia of slavery pushed by whites which destroyed entire civilizations and resulted in the dancing negro trope ending with Mr. Peanut that we have today" every single time they post is...a bit much.

But Mr. Peanut is clearly a white aristocrat? Wow, the wikipedia page for Mr. Peanut is wild:

quote:

On January 22, 2020, Planters released a teaser for its Super Bowl LIV commercial featuring Mr. Peanut, Wesley Snipes and Matt Walsh. The trio were shown hanging onto a branch after accidentally driving the Nutmobile off a cliff to avoid an armadillo, with Mr. Peanut electing to let go and fall to his death onto the Nutmobile, which then explodes. The company's social media outlets stated that his funeral would be the subject of Planters' Super Bowl ad.[18][19][20]

Planters suspended the campaign shortly after the Calabasas helicopter crash on January 26, which killed all passengers including former NBA player Kobe Bryant. They eventually resumed the campaign with the Super Bowl commercial, which showed Snipes and Walsh presiding over the funeral of Mr. Peanut, also attended by fellow mascots Kool-Aid Man and Mr. Clean. Kool-Aid Man's tears combined with sunlight cause a new, younger incarnation of Mr. Peanut, dubbed "Baby Nut", to grow from the soil.[21]

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

But Mr. Peanut is clearly a white aristocrat? Wow, the wikipedia page for Mr. Peanut is wild:

So the people who decided that mr peanut should die are cis-het white males that are descended from the people who hosed up the neanderthal cave and killed all of the other neanderthals because they weren't manly enough?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

this was a primitive laboratory where smart neanderthal researchers attempted to unlock the secrets of burning the cave trees like the regular trees

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

poverty goat posted:

this was a primitive laboratory where smart neanderthal researchers attempted to unlock the secrets of burning the cave trees like the regular trees

So if they keep looking they'll probably find remnants of cave bongs.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Real Talk: Everyone's joking about it but there is a non-zero chance at least one of those stalicites went up a neanderthal's rear end.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Remember this mnemonic device: stalactites cling tight to the ceiling while stalagmites might fit in your rear end

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Yaldabaoth posted:

Real Talk: Everyone's joking about it but there is a non-zero chance at least one of those stalicites went up a neanderthal's rear end.
Technically this is true of every stalagmite in Eurasia.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
looks like an icbm launch pad and the control center to the left of it, op

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

duh it’s france they are obviously baguettes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is this the fully unocked elden ring map