Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I've got a NAS, with an SMB server. On my home network, I can simply connect to the SMB share, accessing a share on the NAS by the name "thearchives". Eg, on my desktop, I simply enter "\\thearchives\stuff" in a windows explorer window, get prompted for my username and password, and off I go. On my android phone, I use an app called AndSMB and pretty much the same thing happens.

I've recently discovered that my router can act as a VPN, and I hear this is the properly secure way to be able to remotely access my stuff. I've set that up in the router's admin pages, downloaded the autogenerated OpenVPN config file, installed OpenVPN on my phone, copied across the config file, and I can connect beautifully.

But, when connected to the VPN (on phone data only, not on my home wifi), when I try to connect to thearchives I get the error message "No address associated with hostname".

I've just tried putting in the local IP address of the NAS instead, and that's worked. So the problem is clearly that it can't resolve "thearchives" into 10.1.1.250.

But how come this isn't a problem while connected to the wifi, or from my (ethernet connected) desktop? I'm assuming I need to set up some kind of name resolution service entry, perhaps on the router, but why does it just work on the network without me doing that? (And any pointers for what to look for in the router setup would be appreciated).

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU