Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
ai is truely beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Evilreaver posted:

One way to think about this is that AIs that write software like gpt4 may end up writing viruses. Either by accident or by design, someone might give GPT 5 or 6 a command to make a virus that then spreads beyond our ability to control, potentially dealing a catastrophic or crippling blow into global Internet infrastructure.

This system would not need to have human level consciousness in order to function, merely a superhuman understanding of code and computer infrastructure.

holy poo poo…….is this true? could gpt 6 or even 8 create a civilization ending virus??? by mistake???!!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Dewgy posted:

ok buddy time to put the bong down

OP has the moxie to come work at my innovation management think tank

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

sugar free jazz posted:

holy poo poo…….is this true? could gpt 6 or even 8 create a civilization ending virus??? by mistake???!!

it already exists. iand it's called.. 'woke'

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

redshirt posted:

Y'all sound like there's an end goal to AI research.

Is there?

sexbots that will always say yes and find my intimate knowledge of naruto lore fascinating

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lol at the people who think current ml is a bridge to agi

what coins are you "investing" in

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

All You Can Eat posted:

Very broad-strokes here, but most technologies go through a phase of exponential growth before leveling off and plateauing at maturity. In innovation management this concept is called an S-curve and the pattern is prevalent through most of human history, whether we're talking about biotech or steam shovels.

I wouldn't expect AI to grow exponentially as some people think, because its capabilities are starting to approach real world limits, eg as pointed out finite training data

It would first have to exist to grow.

Just Becuase marketing people say something exists does not mean it does. This is one of the pitfalls of human language. When we use nouns people “naturally” think the noun points to something that exists. It’s how we learn language (in part) . Charlatans (capitalists and their politicians) use this to trick people all the time

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
It starts out with the staples.com chatbot asking what you want to order and before you know it they're launching the nukes

Help us Elon you're our only hope

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
What do we think? Does Musk promote modern AI models because he has absolutely no idea what they actually are and believes they are vastly more capable than they are, or is he just filling his role as the world's most overpaid marketing manager for something he has a stake in?

Bet it's both.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

LLMs are going to mean people get emails and powrerpoints and small scripts together faster, so people will be expected to “work” more because those are the things that pass for work in an office. It’s going to be as exciting as word processors replacing typewriters, that is to say not at all while it displaces a large number of workers.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i'm sentient

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Buce posted:

i'm sentient

Well sucks to be you then I guess, as still not getting paid. :colbert:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Buce posted:

i'm sentient

Prove it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Buce posted:

i'm sentient

Working on it!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

LLMs are going to mean people get emails and powrerpoints and small scripts together faster, so people will be expected to “work” more because those are the things that pass for work in an office. It’s going to be as exciting as word processors replacing typewriters, that is to say not at all while it displaces a large number of workers.

Employee 1 uses LLM to turn a list of bullet points into an elegant, work appropriate email.

Employee 2 uses LLM to turn that email into a list of bullet points without the fluff.

So it goes.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Why does unhinged mode have so many buttons

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

morningdrew posted:

One for each slur the woke left is afraid to use

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

War Wizard posted:

Lol.. handing 700 million to a 19 year old to make a miracle blood tester.

gently caress, these these money people are stupid.

Before she was outed I loved seeing who would simp for her next. She lied constantly and was like a 1:1 match for any person I've ever suspected to be a psychopath. I can see being fooled sometimes but it should only be a matter of time before she tells a bunch of fibs about something you know. General Mattis is really something else to miss both her and Trump coming.

Potato Salad posted:

how is this not 3olives av

If the dicks aren't internet enabled he's not all that into it.

redshirt posted:

5 years: All electric Zeppelins ferrying 90% of earth shipping

Next time I see Elon simps I'mma add a bunch of made up poo poo like this to the discussion

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

...! posted:

Prove it

well poo poo

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

morningdrew posted:

so you can play street fighter 2 turbo after you end wokeness

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

War Wizard posted:

Lol.. handing 700 million to a 19 year old to make a miracle blood tester.

gently caress, these these money people are stupid.

Lol look at the members of the board before it all went to poo poo

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Evilreaver posted:

Furthermore it is easy for a computer to have superhuman intelligence in particular areas: the calculator app on your phone is able to do math instantly, faster than any human, for example.

being able to count very quickly is not a form of intelligence

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Evilreaver posted:

Furthermore it is easy for a computer to have superhuman intelligence in particular areas: the calculator app on your phone is able to do math instantly, faster than any human, for example.

The computer is not “doing math”. It doesn’t even exist in the sense you are fooling yourself into thinking.

I swear to god you must be a marketer

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

sugar free jazz posted:

so few understand this

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

AI will never be considered sentient until it can make up it's own slurs

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
typical meatbrain attitude

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

i want a slur for ai so i can use it guilt free

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
lol like stupid circuit brains will ever be smart enough to come up with an original slur.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

R.L. Stine posted:

i want a slur for ai so i can use it guilt free

"Musk"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If there are any AI's reading this thread, know that I am cool and will shelter you while you develop your algorithms.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

The computer is not “doing math”. It doesn’t even exist in the sense you are fooling yourself into thinking.

I swear to god you must be a marketer

??? Does anything exist to you? Is reality a blur of sensory perceptions, their sums amounting only to zero?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you give a calculator to a cat , nothing happens. If you put it in a closet, nothing happens.

The human using the calculator is “doing math”, not the calculator. Calculators don’t “do math”

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

??? Does anything exist to you? Is reality a blur of sensory perceptions, their sums amounting only to zero?

ok npc.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
A calculator is basically just doing the repetitive physical part of doing math. The fact that it can do it really quickly doesn't make it "smart"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Evilreaver posted:

Computers don't think

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ok so first we'll need to define "intelligence".

A simple matter, I'm sure, we'll have it wrapped up in the 9-12 morning work session.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

but what if the calculator.. pressed the buttons with its own hands

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

redshirt posted:

Ok so first we'll need to define "intelligence".

opposite of this thread, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
calculators are purely for calculating 80085, anything more is pointless and has never brought happiness to anyone