Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He got really good hair plugs. You can barely tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Threads is Twitter but TikTok. Single feed. If they figure out monetization it'll kill.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I used to love chronological order but it really doesn't work once you follow more than, like, a hundred people. You're constantly missing good rear end content because you didn't check your feed at the right time. What I need is an algorithm that helps me rank exclusively stuff by people I follow.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Threads looks simple but I can guarantee that the go-to-market plan for this must have been absolutely insane. Partnerships and early access for all the existing partners Instagram already has. Content policy and tech infrastructure borrowed from the rest of Meta. An army of outsourced labor ready to deal with reports of illegal and abusive content from day one. And they launch in the immediate aftermath of a Twitter technical meltdown. Hell of a launch.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

Apparently Threads also doxxed a sex worker by scraping her real name off an unrelated site and adding that to her profile instead of her professional alias.
I doubt that happened

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I seriously doubt there’s any amount of Twitter secret sauce that isn’t obvious to the public

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tbh it’s not like twitter was this land of great poetry

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I love that someone’s job at Meta was to get dril. Like, there was a whole customer acquisition doc and his name was probably top of that list.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lol Twitter added a note to that tweet to verify the screenshot. The feature meant to defang fake news is now weaponizes for billionaire feuds.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Steadiman posted:

it is kind of hilarious that Zuck spent years and billions trying to make that vr thing happen, ending up with something that's used by nobody and done better by a free vr chat program, then a lovely little text message app, hastily thrown together by a tiny team almost as a little side project, instantly becomes this huge thing with millions of users overnight. That's gotta bother his programming a little
Threads doesn’t solve the fundamental problem of Instagram and Facebook, which is that they’re beholden to the platforms of Google and Apple. Zuck sees this as existential. The Metaverse was his attempt to break free from this problem. It wasn’t just about building a successful app; it was about building a successful platform.

That said he’s clearly failed at that so :shrug:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That truck would be less dumb if, you know, it was actually a thing. They can’t even ship it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What’s the threads equivalent of a twitter thread? just a thread? they’re making it really hard to describe their platform-specific thread

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The removal of the Block feature is okay imo.

To be clear, you can still block people from DMing you or showing up on your timeline. You just can’t prevent others from seeing your otherwise public tweets.

It was a dumb feature to begin with. You would get auto-blocked from seeing someone’s tweets because they configured some bot to auto-block you based on the accounts you follow. But you could circumvent that just by creating a new account, so it’s not like the feature was protecting anyone.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Steadiman posted:

so did you end up on some block lists or did your e-crush block you or something? Cause this feels so oddly specific and personal, especially the last part sounds a little bit ominous.
I was blocked from viewing the tweet of a former professor from my alma mater. My account is completely inactive and follows only some sporting personalities, news sources and a few other random accounts. The professor did leave my alma mater in pretty acrimonious terms so I wonder if it was as simple as me following the university’s account.

I’ll accept that the feature does avoid chuds from brigading your account and hadn’t thought about that angle. But other times it’s something as random as the situation I’m describing :shrug:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Door handles got disrupted to make the car more aerodynamic. Same reason that side mirrors are becoming cameras outside the US. Soon your car will just be a seamless blob gliding on the road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

IVF is hell for the woman. Daily injections and poo poo. If they could have conceived naturally it sucks that he made the women go through that poo poo.