Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

welcome back president trump, can't wait to hear what's on your mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

this is pretty good news for facebook. zuckerberg can now change his title to 2nd worst major social media ceo.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

elon is going to tweet the n word

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

this will be the year of mastodon

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

elon announces his first action as owner: a new rule that all users must publicly display the flight plans of their personal jets

let's see how you like it :smug:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Buce posted:

its gonna be 4chan in about 2 days

he might kill it the opposite way. in the list of ways he gave that he would improve twitter, it was all vague "free speech" nonsense, and only one point was actually a real step twitter could take, which was authenticating users. the moment twitter makes you verify your real name and address, the platform will die.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Dogmeat posted:

Seems like an awful lot of money for a service that transfers screenshots from your Switch to your phone. Especially since Nintendo added a way to do it directly.

I think Elon is kind of dumb.

it's just a way for elon to make inroads with more 14 year olds

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Carwash oval office posted:

You are right, but he will also do things like send internet mobs after scientists or teachers or activists if it makes pepes give him a good ratio. It isn’t really funny, when the people destroying humanity keep winning

he can do that already, without owning twitter

but now he can say slurs or make actionable threats and not get banned, i guess, not that those things were particularly well policed before anyway

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'm guessing one of the big motivators for this is that he had over $20 billion of bonus compensation from the tesla board for the company hitting certain stock targets recently, and if he takes that money/stock he's gotta pay tax on it because it becomes income.

but if he immediately buys twitter and then the share price falls again (which it will eventually), he can write most of that off as a loss to offset the taxes. and in the end he still gets to own twitter and can ban anyone who makes fun of him or advocates for unions, and that stuff can fly under the radar if he unbans trump to act as a lightning rod.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if you weren’t already convinced elon is a villain, he is now also a moderator

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'm going to become an evil person and prove you wrong

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'm going to buy the full self posting upgrade for my twitter account while it's only $5000. only a fool would wait until it's a $12,000 upgrade.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I really hope the deal ends up going through. Elon buying it seems like the kiss of death and twitter loving off forever is only good. There's no bad side to it at all.

3 and a half years from now your government issued identify NFT will be delivered via your department of homeland security provided twitter profile. if you lose your NFTID or are caught posting pro-union rhetoric, you will be arrested and forced to work in a remote self-driving labor facility.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i've got an idea to grow twitter, how about a deal with samsung to include the twitter app on every new phone? and get this, you can't delete it!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

kntfkr posted:

Having the most money makes you the most smartest.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

elon is the sad kind of rich that has to start taking hgh at middle age to plump up his fingers and face, instead of the happy kind of rich that received it unknowingly from the family doctor as a teenager

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

E the Shaggy posted:

Imagine having hundreds of billions of dollars and not just loving off to a private island you bought for the rest of your life. I suppose that's why I'm not a billionaire though.

that's what epstein did and look what happened to him

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it’s extremely funny that the (former) president of the US got banned from twitter

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

whoever wrote that acknowledges the distinction between liberals and leftists in the opening sentence, but somehow completely misses that under that delineation of american politics, liberals are elon's primary support group. like, i live in a reddish/purple suburb and interact with a lot of conservatives and moderates at work, and elon's biggest cheerleaders here are the neolib centrist types who love things like letting large corporations pretend to do something about climate change. i'm guessing they're either neutral or happy about the twitter situation. the trump bumper sticker crowd at work rips on electric vehicles and generally has negative stuff to say about elon if they say anything at all -- spacex being the one exception where they seem to have a more positive opinion. i don't think they're gonna suddenly think twitter is good now.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

(Terrible Name) (Sad!)

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

thank the good lord that elon is here to protect us from ourselves

we are the white billionaire’s burden

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

mind the walrus posted:

Gilded Age 2 is so, so hosed up

season 2 is out? i want more gay john adams!!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

twitter always struck me as the worst of all the big social networks for actually doing social things like having conversations or meeting new people. hashtags are complete garbage, and there's no way to organize interest / community groups.

it's probably an ok place if all your friends are already on there, or if you are a famous person or corporation who just wants to get the word out about the latest thing you did.

i had a few friends who used twitter a decade ago, but none are active anymore and i can't tell what is supposed to attract new people to twitter at this point, unless they're just looking to harass people they don't agree with all day by becoming a reply-guy. otherwise about the best you can hope for is to follow a few accounts and treat it like an RSS feed rather than a social network.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

StoryTime posted:

What I want to see happen, is ol' Musky boy to fire all the human moderators from Twitter, and replace them with his OpenAI tech. He's got the engineer pipe brain to think that that's the solution to the problem he has bought. Twitter has collected incredible amounts of human interaction, pushing all that through those oh so malleable neural nets can only produce the smartest social media platform of all time.

he will claim this is what he is doing, but it will just be the same human moderators wearing full spandex bodysuits pretending to be androids

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'm trying to think of what the most threatening thing to global democracies would be currently if not websites that purposefully peddle misinformation intended to promote anti-democratic, nationalist sentiment. maybe TV "news" channels that do the same, but just skewed toward an older audience?

the only other answer i'm coming up with is the russian military -- that's a pretty active threat to a specific democracy right now. and i guess the presence of oligarchs who exist above the law are an ongoing thorn in democracy (but you can't really uncouple that from the subject of elon buying twitter, either).

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

free speech has nothing to do with social media websites or private companies dumbass

slight correction: the 1st amendment guarantee and legal protection of free speech has nothing to do with private companies. social media sites can promise free speech as a feature if they want (and if their goal is to become the absolute biggest cesspit possible).

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

HIJK posted:

Idk we've been waiting for a new cool social media platform and the only thing that came along was Discord

i was hesitant about discord when it came out... i was like, this is just gonna be another google hangouts. but actually, discord is good and i miss it every time i use any other chat or social app.

it's pretty much twitter, but for actual interest groups and communities instead of your own private wall to scream into the void.

also it's still a chronological timeline, at least within a channel

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

how dare someone accuse elon, the man whose biggest company just weeks ago lost a lawsuit over rampant racial discrimination among management including employees being harassed with slurs and swastikas, of being a bigot. he told us that it wasn't true, so the courts must've been lying.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i took a stochastic processes course in grad school to find out what it means, and it cost a lot more than $10

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

syntaxfunction posted:

Username post combo lol :cool:

the florida tax payers paid for it (but it was still a bad purchase for them because i barely remember or use any of it, and just read wikipedia if i need a refresher on statistics)

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Buce posted:

Imagine thinking that the Overton window has shifted to the left in recent years

no... you see... gay marriage. the liberals got it done and now it's time for the pendulum to swing the other way.

(please pay no attention as progress on voting rights, abortion rights, science-based school curriculum, public health, tax rates on the wealthy, environment regulations, cost of education, consumer protection laws, and social safety net programs continues the 4th consecutive decade of backsliding further and further right.)

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i thought elon was a charlatan and grifter before it was cool :smug:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

elon could probably fund the twitter buy if he started an onlyfans for his nerd cult followers

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you were supposed to wait until the sale went through. now they'll never understand the message you were trying to send. timing is everything!!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lDDQD posted:

OTOH deplatforming trump because he's whining about narrowly losing an election makes it looks like you've got something to hide, as opposed to letting him whine and mocking him for it.

very true, and also begs the question, what exactly is Jeffrey of YOSPOS hiding from us???
https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?adminid=&actfilt=-2&ban_month=&ban_year=#list

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I haven't paid attention, did this really happen? Does Elon own Twitter?

if you aren't sure, just check this URL https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lol, imagine being Grimes right now.

a couple years ago thinking to yourself, hmm, who do i want as the father of my kids... maybe this billionaire business guy that the internet thinks is also a brilliant and cool scientist making the world better... yeah, that's who i want my babies to take after.

then after you split with him and before your 2nd kid is even weaned, he does a heel turn. suddenly he's friends with bolsonaro and you find out he was having sex with the villain from the johnny depp trial.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

one of those load-bearing clauses in the constitution is doing work right now

although as cruel and self-absorbed musk is, it's hard to imagine him being any worse than any other candidate the republicans would nominate for president, so :shrug:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

he obviously knew before entering into the contract that there were a lot of bots on twitter, and vowed to crack down on them by authenticating all users

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1517215736606957573?s=20&t=UQIl_D_-yvR93U72fhh3nA

now he's trying to claim twitter hid the problem that he put his own spotlight on before signing the contract

of course he's rich so he'll probably also get away with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

his twitter clone will defeat bots by ensuring all users are authenticated through the identity verification website, www.aparthe.id