Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

mysterious frankie posted:

Thanks to her- and people like her- you retain your god given right to shoot yourself in those nuts with an anti-material rifle you bought from WalMart.

Wait we always had that right? Ah man, I shot myself in the nuts with an anti-material rifle I bought from walmart, only out of protest about not having the right to.

Man is my face balls red!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

DaveWoo posted:

This thread is too negative, here's some positive vibes to balance it out

https://twitter.com/fmanjoo/status/1519694386367500289

that's an article someone actually spent time writing and someone else decided, oh this a thing we should publish.

lol

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Zil posted:

Exactly. Everyone is talking about unbanning Trump, but it is Tay that needs to be brought back.

I mean, like I'm not saying Tay should be elected president or anything, but yeah I'm saying exactly that.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh and Bezos is apparently just throwing out random poo poo at musk. Didn't know they hated each other, but whatever. Let the arseholes fight!

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/apr/26/jeff-bezos-questions-china-influence-over-elon-musk-twitter posted:

The world’s second richest man posted a tweet raising concerns over potential Beijing influence on Twitter several hours after the Tesla chief executive, and current holder of the No 1 wealth spot, reached a $44bn (£34bn) deal with the Twitter board to buy the influential social media platform.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BigglesSWE posted:

I wonder how big a pyramid Musk will build as his future tomb.

Lol even though it will be 95% sandstone it will be so soddly built it will still manage to burn down.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

bobjr posted:

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1539646351595782144?s=20&t=tueR6EISDQmgrrJbsGMGbw

Wonder if they'll do another presentation with a person in a suit.

I'm guessing robot, that will do something that will seem "impressive" but will actually be pretty poo poo compared to other robotic stuff today and not have any practical uses. It will be a 1/2 million dollar children toy basically.

It will also gently caress up at least once during any demonstration.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Vim Fuego posted:

my own penis' musk

Oh loving god, musk isn't bring out a candle as well is he???

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

porfiria posted:

Jobs stole it from Hewlett Packard.

As was the style at the time.

Yeah Jobs as a person sucks, and like gates had no problem doing things that were either board-line illegal or just extremely dickish. He did genuinely know design well, and had a knack for knowing what people want. Personally not a fan of a lot of the stuff he had a big hand in seeing made, but I wasn't that target audience so :shrug:. Still appreciate he did from a design/usability/marketing seem to know his poo poo.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

kdrudy posted:

Phones got good enough who actually cares about new phones at all anymore?

Well that's sort of the thing. Like the ipod and ipad were, while not exactly stunningly new technology were a somewhat new take on form and what not. Hell when I first saw it I thought the ipad was just going to be a niche thing. Still never owned a tablet myself, and while it wasn't exactly the first, it did really change things. Since Jobs death, there hasn't really been anything like that.

Hear the new apple M1/M2 chips have some pretty neat architecture, so I mean that's cool and all, but it's not really changing things up on a consumer level.

Again I really don't like Jobs at all, and I don't actually think him being a tremendous loving rear end in a top hat made him better at doing design stuff -that's mostly I think what lovely manages focusing, as their already usually tremendous assholes so that's easy enough for them to emulate, but from what I've read he did actually have a design sensibility that he was able to put in practice that changed stuff.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I get the sinking feeling that the plan is to bring the walled garden down to the chip-level with the M chips, and eventually you won't even be able to run third party software on your mac, just rent software from Apple with a subscription model.

I mean yeah, subscription where everyone wants to go. And honestly Macs always been more about that. Not that MS doesn't desperately want subscription cash but just how their positioned, for the longest it's time it's been Unix/Linux anything goes, Ms in the middle allowing lots of 3rd party stuff but having random restrictions all over the place and Apple the most closed off (of the major OS's).

Each have their pros and cons, and none I would say is "better" then the other. Depends what you want to use the OS for. But mac going hard on subscription could be well be a thing. Although not sure if they would go for subscription to the os just as they seem to make plenty of cash through app store stuff, and they have actually be bending towards the OS being sorta free, as with Ms (at least as seen on a consumer level, still paying for it when you buy the hardware, but upgrades and what not, neither Mac or MS seem like they will go back to having to pay for that other than maybe for pro version or whatever.

Honestly at the moment it seems with Gamepass and 365 MS is more in subscription now, although apple still seem to have a pretty tight hold on app store stuff as well as hardware/repair.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I had absolutely no clue that Matt Berry was part of snuff box

he's a global treasure

I mean this everyone can agree on.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 19, 2022

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Serious_Cyclone posted:

. And it's been ages since I've tried to use linux alone, so they might have improved things by leaps and bounds, but I always got lost in the technical details on linux and couldn't hack it as my own IT support, so osx was a welcome middle-ground.

I have heard linux has made some pretty good improvements on some stuff, but yeah again goes back to what your using it for wither the stuff they've improved is stuff that matters too you.
One good thing bout linux/open source stuff is, if worse does come to worse, there will probably be others like you in the same situation who will try and come up with some sort of solution.
May not be as polished but they will be people out they're trying.

Unless you're doing a whole bunch of obscure stuff like three other people in the world are doing. In which case um oh.

:(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

At the time of the speech I think there existed a total of 18 poor quality pictures of the far side of the moon, and scientists were still a bit shocked that the far side looked quite a bit different than the near side. It’s kind of wild to remember how little we knew for certain about the solar system even by the 60’s.

I mean we still know far less about the bottom of the ocean floor.

Obviously due to everyone exploring it being consumed by unholy terrors from the deep.

...not lack of funding or anything.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

GABA ghoul posted:

This thread seems pretty knowledgeable about musk so I'm gonna ask here. I recently saw a pic of musk without a shirt on and he seems to be completely hairless, almost like a reverse ape. Absolutely unreal. What's the deal with that? Is this a medical condition? What is going on here? Is the government aware of this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morlock

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So just trying to follow this conversation, does that mean sasquatches, due to their most luscious and length hair are they the peak of anti-fascists that a being could be?

Is that why people search for them so? Shall their return see finally, finally see fascism death to this world?

That's it for the good of humanity I'm getting a poo poo load of camo clothes and cheep beer and going hiking and going a hiking for a sasquatches in the Appalachian mountain.

Edit: My above speech shall be remembered like that moon one. It will change stuff.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 20, 2022

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

:hmmyes:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

What's this from. Seem to remember it was an add for something stupid like insurance, or pepsi or somesuch.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

PITY BONER posted:

A vaporware truck that's also a boat? Sure. A vaporware semi-truck that needs 13,000kg of batteries to move? Sure.

Sort of surprised the cyber trucks vaporware just because it seemed to mostly be a truck but lovely and with a bunch of metal bolted on to it to make it look "cyber". Like it doesn't really matter how poo poo it is, and how many promises about it they go back on it is, if it looks sci-fi and has musks name on it, it gonna sell.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bad Purchase posted:

so how bad is tesla stock gonna tank when musk has to convert billions of it to cash to buy out twitter's shareholders? or will he actually manage to get enough funding through loans that there won't need to be a
seems crazy that any lender/investor would be interested in loaning musk money to buy a severely overvalued social media company that will never return its original investment, using shares of the world's most overvalued car company as collateral, but i'm not a finance guy or money launderer so what do i know.

I mean between him still having a bunch of stock that technically valuable, and being able to charge high interest, I'm sure it won't be to hard for him to find someone to loan him the cash.
Details of loans will definitely not be in his favour though.

Also lol interest rates have just started ballooning.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I looked it up and apparently twitter's ad revenue last year was 4.5 billion dollars'ish and has been increasing a bit of the past few years. Although obviously unclear how much growth it can have. https://www.statista.com/statistics/274566/twitters-annual-revenue-by-channel/

Honestly a lot more than I thought it was going to be. They also seem to usually have about $2-3 billion in profits. All in all like $44 billion is a pretty high asking price, and musk obviously has the capability of crashing the company immediately after he buys it -if he does- but it's still not the worst deal, just a pretty bad one.
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/TWTR/twitter/gross-profit

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

smackfu posted:

Will people actually quit Twitter like they say or will their addiction win?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you know the answer to that.

Unless it actually starts to become unusable I doubt many people will actually leave.

...i mean elon might actually be able to gently caress twitter up enough that it does become pretty unusable.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

mikemil828 posted:

Wonder what kind of golden parachutes they had.

If Musk was even a tenth of the businessman he be pretended to be it would of been the robocop kind.

Unfortunately he's super lame. Dude can't even supervillain properly.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Klyith posted:

Trump stands to make circa $300 million if Truth Social gets reverse-acquired by DWAC. He's not gonna come back to twitter right away.

The DWAC deal would need to fall through, or I guess mid-2023 if he's running for president and needs a bullhorn.

LOL why are these idiots spending money on truth social

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

King Carnivore posted:

Even without all the outside help, the problem is that he has such an ungodly amount of money that he can just keep stoking the furnace with wheelbarrows full of hundreds until he gets bored, despite the service losing users, operating at a massive loss and somehow turning into even more of a dumpster fire than it already was.

Does he he though? Like as far as I know most of his wealth is tied in shares pf Tesla and SpaceX and not to lesser extent twitter. Having Billions tied up in the share price of two companies makes the money pretty non-liquid.

Particularly when Tesla shares seems to be vastly overpriced compared to it's profits. There's a very good reason he didn't just go straight up and buy Twitter with cash even though he was getting garbage terms on the loan.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Haven't checked the news in a couple of minutes So have Musk and Zuckerburg fought to the death yet for the title of worlds stupidest billionaire?

Or is that like going to be a 2023 thing?,

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Snuffman posted:

All the scifi books that named the first colonies of Mars after Musk are going to look reaaallll embarrassing soon.

I still say my story that has a Martian "Musk memorial garbage tip" will stand the test of time. :colbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Roblo posted:

Holy poo poo. Daniel Radcliffe got banned for parodying Weird Al Yankovich. Despite the fact that a. Parody is Weird Al's thing and b. He was marketing for a film where he plays...weird Al Yankovich.

LOL.

Also for those interested a short breakdown into what's like to go wrong with twitter's tech cos elon's an idiot and fired all those people:

https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/11/08/1062886/heres-how-a-twitter-engineer-says-it-will-break-in-the-coming-weeks/ posted:

Twitter’s collapse into an unusable wreck is some time off, the engineer says, but the telltale signs of process rot setting in are already there. It starts with the small things: “Bugs in whatever part of whatever client they’re using; whatever service in the backend they’re trying to use,” the engineer says. “They’ll be small annoyances to start, but as the backend fixes are being delayed, things will accumulate until people will eventually just give up.”

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Happy Landfill posted:

You know what? I take it back. Elon is funny. 44 billion dollarydoos for a second verification check mark that's separate from the one you pay money for and to have the gall to announce this like it's any different from the thing he was previously railing against is really loving funny.

I like how this "solution" is legitimately just a worse thing for everyone involved. Now the only reason I can think of anyone would get the $8 tick mark is if you are purposefully trying to pretend to be a legit verified account and just hope people want notice the account doesn't have the second tick. Other than that utterly useless.

It's so of impressive with how bad a comprise he ended up with.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

greazeball posted:

Woke up this morning and was hearing this strange buzzing noise coming from deep in my closet. Went all the way down in the back and it's my old Charlie Sheen detector just vibrating like crazy. The thing doesn't even have batteries in it any more, what's going on?

I mean not sure you gonna get any other answers other than you're getting haunted by the ghost of charlie sheen.

Congrats I guess?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Snowmankilla posted:

This one made me laugh and I went to fav it before I saw who it was from.

I am truly sorry.
Yeah, same. I actually liked then unliked, when saw it was an elon retweet.

But yeah at the moment he seems to both be retweeting stuff that makes it seem like he purposefully killed twitter and it's dying, as well as saying he's everything fine, got it under control better than ever. He could see how bad poo poo is and is trying to give himself an out by saying, "oh yeah, I meant this all along".

The simplest in most likely thing though is he just really loves attention -particularly from "cool" memer people, and will do anything to get it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, I am seeing a lot of artists and content creators and others posting “hey if this place burns here is my Instagram or discord or whatever” or poo poo similar. It’s the beginning of the end.

Seen a lot of journalists with decent followings start asking where's a good place to go.

Always great when you see one get suggested to try mastodon, then like two hours later their like, "ah well, that was confusing as hell, so yeah, no.".

Would be interested to see mastodon user numbers in a few weeks and see how many people will migrate there.
I sure as hell have seen a lot people bounce right off it, but I'm sure they'll be picking up a few.

Edit: oh just read the above posts. Yeah probably a good thing journalists aren't having much luck with it then.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 18, 2022

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

davecrazy posted:

Mastadon would a be a great place for journalists if outlets would run their own instances. Solves the verification problem. @BobSmith@NYTimes would be pretty clear.

Yeah, but part of why journalists liked tweeter it is that could also retweet you know people protesting in Iran, or other reporters in Ukraine. having a bit of a weird half public/half private thing could be a bit of a thing (although journalists of all people should be good at knowing about asking for republishing stuff and whatever).

cohsae posted:

He's trying to show that he's not mad and is in fact actually laughing.
Yeah, actually that seems most likely.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

bird with big dick posted:

You guys probably don’t know this because you’re a bunch of entirely stupid fuckers but every Spacex rocket that has exploded was on purpose which is brilliant if you think about it because until you know all the things that make them explode you can’t know all the things that won’t make them explode.

Hey I grew up on 80's action movies. You don't need to sell me on why blowing things up is always kickass and cool.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

goatface posted:

You're meant to blow up the warhead, not the launch stage.

Why not both :shrug:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
After getting round to reading elons first tweet this morning about talking to any of his staff that know coding, I was sort of like, "oh okay, so he's doing it in a horrible way, but seems he may actually be trying to do like a rudimentary skills audit of the staff he still has or something. that makes sense. sort of an okay'ish way to look to start repairing stuff." Then got to the next where he starts asking for screenshots of written code again, and saying . lol, twitters hosed.

So since then he's also said he wants to shut down one of the main server locations and has been prompting people to excessively use twitter to celebrate the the world cup.

He really did take the phases move fast and break things to heart.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dabir posted:

Carmack's also like a big time sociopath isn't he? Like he's not going out and actively doing anything wrong or anything right now but only cause he doesn't want to.

I wouldn't say sociopath, he has something going on obviously, but like in the interview he openly talks about how garbage he was in post doom ID days, and regrets about that sort of stuff. Seems he just get's overly focused and practical sometimes. Never heard anyone talk about him as being that manipulative or what ever.

Nobody Interesting posted:

"Hmm the office door is locked, should I call a locksmith or the building manager?

Nah I'll knock it down with an axe."

Look what for do axes exist if not for the use in knock down of doors.
He was merely giving that axes purpose.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 19, 2022

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

crispix posted:

do these stupid fucks want a world with a few billionaire geniuses owning everything, a dozen sychophants serving them and everyone else on the streets surviving on moss and insects and trying to improvise a workable smartphone so they can marvel at the wondrous creations of their betters

I mean of course. Sure in their mind they are one of those few billionaires, but that seems to be the ideal world they are working for.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

GABA ghoul posted:

Yeah, ok, but when you took the job you did know that at any moment a bored idiot billionaire could come around and buy your company and run it into the ground as a vanity project and you would lose that job again. I would say that one is on you, buddy

Guy really should of brought a bored idiot billionaire insurance policy.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Hmm yes, I’ve pinpointed who broke culture in the 2010s: Project Managers :hmmyes:

I agree, projects shouldn't be managed they should be let to run free and frolic in the fields how ever they wish.

Run free projects, run free!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I mean it's not like there hasn't been new stuff tried, it's just mostly it's been poo poo that people hasn't been interested in. So like AR stuff gets tried a bit every so often, but other than pokemon go, and software that can auto translate signs and menus and what not, none have really taken off.

I think the main thing is that it's not that new stuff wasn't tried, just most people from about 2010 onwards had most of the basic communication/social media stuff covered that they wanted on their phones and PC already.

Music, movies, news, social media, messenger, maps, email. We just haven't found like another thing yet that people universally just feel they all need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Seems where ever Murdoch news is (US/UK/AU) you get conservative commentators bring it up a lot.

I'm sure it's a coincidence.