Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Prey got really boring in the second half because there weren't any enemies that were a threat to you got enough upgrades. But how cool were those shapeshifters though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

There is actually a whole elaborate backstory to the setting, but its completely irrelevant to the current plot.

The loop is also actually kind of pointless since there are pretty much only 2 ways to kill your targets, and you basically have to do both in order to finish the game.

I did notice that, yes, but I asked a friend "hey does this background get resolved" and they said no.
Complete with the player-characters seeming lack of interest in it and not really much to discover.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

Elons going to fire him for wanting to get rid of that!

Elon personally told him to get rid of those things because he can't stealth stalk someone who blocked his account by logging out with that thing there. :lol:

kw0134 posted:

Any work of art fixed to a medium is copyrightable and indeed is so automatically under the Berne Convention. The meme would also be a derivative work for which there may be in fact live questions of its own copyright status; in the event the artist can and should absolutely sue the poo poo out of Musk because there's no fair use doctrine for wholesale appropriating an image without credit.

The "transformative work" will do a hell of a lot of lifting in this instance, and courts have upheld more with less, so that's kind of a dead-in-the-water approach. Can't prove Lonnie made the meme(chances are he stole it anyway), and even if he did, it's also political/celebrity content with ol' Diaper Donnie Two Scoops. Defamation for having his works associated with fascism and nazis, now there's a very good angle of attack, because that actively hurts the artist's own reputation by association, and if Lonnie doesn't expunge the content on his own dime, then he's liable under far more statutory amounts that don't need a jury to deliberate on. That's what the Pepe meme guy did, IIRC.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Prey was one of two games I can think of that let me hop around levels as a small animate household item, and for that I will always love it

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
if emojis didnt exist, would musk be smart enough to do emoticons?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

if emojis didnt exist, would musk be smart enough to do emoticons?

musk would exclusively use XD

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
https://twitter.com/bestofdyingtwit/status/1595985292183236608

How long do you think journalists stay on when Elon is actively picking fights with AP, WSJ, Kara Swicher, etc

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

How long do you think journalists stay on when Elon is actively picking fights with AP, WSJ, Kara Swicher, etc

Longer than we might like.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Most are probably used to the abuse to be honest.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
^^^ exactly right!

A lot of journos have such thick skin this stuff doesn’t bother them at all. They are more interested in getting in the mix with weird freaks like elon so they don’t care he is ripping on them.

I’m a big fan of Kara Swisher, her attitude is just pure DGAF

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Mistle posted:

Elon personally told him to get rid of those things because he can't stealth stalk someone who blocked his account by logging out with that thing there. :lol:

The "transformative work" will do a hell of a lot of lifting in this instance, and courts have upheld more with less, so that's kind of a dead-in-the-water approach. Can't prove Lonnie made the meme(chances are he stole it anyway), and even if he did, it's also political/celebrity content with ol' Diaper Donnie Two Scoops. Defamation for having his works associated with fascism and nazis, now there's a very good angle of attack, because that actively hurts the artist's own reputation by association, and if Lonnie doesn't expunge the content on his own dime, then he's liable under far more statutory amounts that don't need a jury to deliberate on. That's what the Pepe meme guy did, IIRC.
If the likes of Cariou v. Prince makes a meme transformative, then that's kind of a lovely way to tackle it, but it's been pointed out that the artist is an Italian living in Rome, for whom there are strong moral rights attached in that country. He wouldn't need to sue in the US for worldwide infringement, which would make things interesting to say the least.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

priznat posted:

^^^ exactly right!

A lot of journos have such thick skin this stuff doesn’t bother them at all. They are more interested in getting in the mix with weird freaks like elon so they don’t care he is ripping on them.

I’m a big fan of Kara Swisher, her attitude is just pure DGAF

I guess it’s a form of getting eyeballs and clicks even if the most greasy way, letting Elon and his posse scream at you and your writers all day.

Kara Swisher is such a suck up to big tech companies. Bleh. Ran crypto advertising on her podcast too. I use her as a canary of how far Elon has fallen when even the most CEO-reverent is openly disdainful.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Why would they leave because of that? Just him tweeting that is a story they'll get clicks for.

People don't have enough contempt for journalists these days.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is that just standard access journalism? with plans for releasing a Tell All book later?

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Why would they leave because of that? Just him tweeting that is a story they'll get clicks for.

*sees twitter turning into a hate speech filled Chud party where they scream at anyone for writing about gay people getting shot*

Journalists aren’t hated enough acktually :smug:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

wait what, are we talking about Octavian or some different Augustus? I don't know much about history but I read a book about him and it's basically 300 pages of giving him a handbeezy for being the best leader ever who managed to keep together a crumbling Rome and conquered lots of territory and created Pax romana and had a cool wife

yeah Augustus reigned over an era of unprecedented prosperity, because the Mediterranean was finally at peace after hundreds of years of intense warfare (first rome conquering its neighbors, then civil wars), and I wouldn't describe him as "shattering" anything so much as, being born into an already-shattered political order and being the one to end up on top when the chaos ended

like, he's not a good guy, because autocrats never are, but the post you're quoting is not a particularly accurate read of history

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

So this is what you need to regurgitate to get hired at Elon's Twitter:

https://twitter.com/realGeorgeHotz/status/1595677280449089536

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Funky See Funky Do posted:

This is gross my man. Believe it or not most journalists aren't tech reporters. The world doesn't revolve around Musk, as much as he'd like that to be the case.

It's also not really about clicks. They're going to stick around Twitter for awhile because it's been *the* social network for them for the past decade. Less personal than Facebook, but less professional than Linkedin.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Can’t decide if this amnesty thing is more “Legion of Doom” or more “Saruman birthing the Uruk-hai”

I think it's more like that one scene from Demolition Man, where Simon Phoenix is going around defrosting a bunch of fellow criminals

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Rebel Blob posted:

I like the people pointing out what year HIS OWN poo poo came out in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rebel Blob posted:

TikTok is the biggest social media service in the world and launched in 2016 lmao

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Rebel Blob posted:

Things I never use: Docker, Kubernetes, Helm, etc.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Rebel Blob posted:

Wow this guy seems like a genius. Is he a genius? He seems like it. Is he the genius I’m thinking of?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

TikTok is the biggest social media service in the world and launched in 2016 lmao

He keeps moving the goalposts in the thread so that now it's "Nothing was made from 2010-2020 to make me so excited I'd camp out in front of a Best Buy for."

Dude isn't getting his FOMO fix and that's the SJWs fault! :argh: And certainly not because camping out in front of a loving Best Buy is dumb as poo poo, even if it was for a self-driving sex robot that would still reject you because holy poo poo, you willing signed up to be a loving intern for Elon loving Musk, you pathetic piece of trash.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

sugar free jazz posted:

Wow this guy seems like a genius. Is he a genius? He seems like it. Is he the genius I’m thinking of?

https://twitter.com/realGeorgeHotz/status/1595679136731004928?t=TDfUlxZCxJXO-R0iKCjLnA&s=19

Pictured: Genius

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Do you know what’s going to help gain back advertisers? Unbanning David Duke

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was curious to see what the conservative take on this was while at Thansgiving dinner, and all I got was that George Soros and the Clinton Foundation sent a letter to Twitter investors before they moved on to talking about my transgender relative.

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth

So a bullshit spreadsheet and this graph is what someone made up on the spot and submitted to Elon as their "code".

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Rebel Blob posted:

Blink twice to indicate you are in danger, georgy!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Captain Hygiene posted:

Prey was one of two games I can think of that let me hop around levels as a small animate household item, and for that I will always love it

weird fetish , but I'm supportive!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Hmm yes, I’ve pinpointed who broke culture in the 2010s: Project Managers :hmmyes:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I did a summer camp class for 10 year olds once upon a time including explaining the classical description of technology as scientific application for any benefit to get them thinking harder than "technology is what happens on my hand me down iphone" and you know what, I think this geohot guy could benefit as well.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

grittyreboot posted:

Prey got really boring in the second half because there weren't any enemies that were a threat to you got enough upgrades. But how cool were those shapeshifters though?

Mooncrash improved that somewhat, each character you can play as only has a subset of the upgrades and Nightmares became random spawns and were both a lot more capable and you could be fighting several at once.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Hmm yes, I’ve pinpointed who broke culture in the 2010s: Project Managers :hmmyes:

I agree, projects shouldn't be managed they should be let to run free and frolic in the fields how ever they wish.

Run free projects, run free!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rebel Blob posted:

Lmao it really is just performative masculinity in a field where results speak for themselves. Good loving luck buddy.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

I swear all these nerds are anhedonic or something. Lots of crazy consumer tech poo poo has released in the 2010-2020s.

Somewhat accurate LiDAR, together with usable software, in consumer iPhones is legit a game changer when it comes to renovations and layout planning. That’s not including use cases that benefit from 3D scans.

And that’s just the iPhone.

jeffreyw fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 25, 2022

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth

Rebel Blob posted:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
prey has a pretty good randomizer mod too. randomizes the dialog too so everyone is just talking nonsense, it's great.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Didn't all of daddy elon's main money making teslas launch post 2010? model S, 3, X, Y.. all 2010s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

Rebel Blob posted:

lol at the dorks replying "in!" and then sitting at their computer hitting f5 on twitter, just loving lol