Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

spunkshui posted:

It’s hilarious because before he did this I was very keen on buying a cyber truck, and now I wouldnt drive one of those loving things if he paid me.

I can’t be the only person lol

$44 billion to make yourself look like a huge dumbfuck.

lol

It’s not like the Cybertruck is ever going to be released. It’s been so long since they announced it, I can’t remember what cool features it had other than bulletproof glass that wasn’t bulletproof. Considering how jam packed the F-150 Lightning and Rivian are, I don’t know if Tesla would even release a truck whose only redeeming qualities are driving over plastic cones/children and maybe floating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

I don't think that's legal.

It’s not. The new Hyundai Ioniq 6 has cameras for side mirrors, but not in the US because it’s not legal here yet.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

:lol:

There is no way that Elon Musk has ever given a woman an orgasm

Like there's just no way it's humanly possible

Elon invents more ex-wives than anything else.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Cybertruck thing bugs me because saying it can briefly float as a feature means there’s a point where it goes from being a carboat under warranty to a boatcar not under warranty and I kind of want to see that legalese.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Back the the discussion about the Tesla board getting rid of Musk, how do we know they haven’t? He’s absolutely micromanaged Tesla in the past and he isn’t doing it now. He doesn’t appear to be doing a lot of SpaceX work either. Instead he’s pulling epic 3am coding jam sessions on Twitter’s 10th floor that consist of H1B’s slowly blinking SOS while Elon scribbles project management 101 terms on a whiteboard.

I think he’s been pushed out of managing both companies and I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened around the time he decided to put babies in that Neuralink exec’s belly. So he rebounded with a terrible takeover bid that he couldn’t get away from like a newly divorced guy who gets a Hooters’ waitress pregnant and now everyone’s miserable.

That’s my theory at least.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Frank Frank posted:

Because he is the one tanking their stock and if they had any activist shareholders (they likely do), they would be crowing from the rooftops that Musk was now in an "advisory role only" or whatever just like Papa John.

That lawsuit about his 55 billion pay package is an activist lawsuit, just using a guy with 7 shares as the proxy so the institutional investors don’t get blowback. So it’s possible they are pushing back.

It’s not likely to win, but boy howdy if it does. That would be a massive amount of wealth for Elon to lose, some of which is undoubtedly leveraged against.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Musk selling shares means a lot of things, but it also means no one is lending him money with TSLA as leverage. Isn’t that how billionaires avoid taxes?

Instead Musk is paying a lot of tax on these shares worth 40% what they were 9 months ago.

Edit: the $55 billion lawsuit alleges Tesla’s board isn’t acting independently and overpaid Musk. The argument phase is over and I guess it’s now in the judge’s hands. No idea how that’s decided or whether the current Tesla meltdown weighs in favor of a clawback, but it can’t possibly be helping.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 15, 2022

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

gay picnic defence posted:

A lot of their stuff is just passive index funds so as long as Tesla is listed on an exchange and included in the S&P 500 they'll be holding a big chunk of it.

If he has borrowed against the value of his Tesla shares he probably can't afford them to decline in value too much or they lender might insist on getting their money back.

Is it $55 billion in cash or shares? If it's shares they're probably not worth $55 billion any more.

Shares, which increases dramatically and made him the richest man on Earth.

They’ve dropped a lot, but may be worth more than 55 billion. If he loses it, he’s still rich as gently caress, just not ‘automatic invite to the Met Gala’ rich.

Speaking of the Met Gala. That really was his high water mark wasn’t it? Musk strutting around in a tux, people chattering whether he’ll buy Twitter, Tesla stock looking invincible and crypto going gangbusters.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Durzel posted:

Cathie Wood has been a female Jim Cramer for quite some time now, basically a bellwether for wrong opinions about stocks.

Imagine ploughing loads of money into Ark and getting -60% returns for the past year lol.

I bought Ark a couple of years ago and I will owe far less tax in 2023 from how well it didn’t do.

They’re only paper losses until you sell, although those fees don’t make patience an attractive option either.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
As far as Twitter replacements go, Post.social seems…okay. Feels like NextDoor, but without people screaming about new mosques opening in their towns.

It’s almost like the toxicity is the appeal of Twitter. If I can’t doom scroll on a platform for 12 hours a day I might as well just read a book. Also I cannot get used to the lack of character limits. I didn’t spend years mastering abbreviations and simplicity in language to make longform poo poo posts.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The banks go along with this for an opportunity to get ‘good’ business from Elon. The Twitter deal was never going to make a profit.

That said, they probably expected at least some business acumen from Musk. Not sure what the fees would be on an eventual 100 billion Space X IPO, but I’m going to guess it’s not the 13 billion they stand to lose here.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Busters posted:

There's a lot of satire in this thread and I'm having trouble figuring out what's real.

Does the Cybertruck have a built in fellatio mode or not?

Please respond. I am planning an important financial decision.

You can fit a dick in the panel gaps.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I think the penalty for unlabeled ads is all the money you made from those ads.

So get ready for an embarrassingly small fine.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Further Reading posted:

The Web summit guy had the blandest of takes on the gaza invasion and his career ended overnight. I'm quite surprised that Elon is getting this vocal without consequences.

I'd like to believe NASA and the DoD are actively working on backup plans or ways to push Musk out of SpaceX. No one else would've kept their top secret security clearance doing the poo poo he does. But that's assuming they're not looking at White Power Pony Stark there and not nodding their heads in approval.

One good thing, Musk thinks he's untouchable. Which means it's going to be real fun watching him get touched.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Tesla's board will care when sales tank. And that MIGHT happen soon. There are only so many people who want EV's at this point and Tesla might be running out of those buyers while trying to boost market share with their aggressive pricing.

Plus they just wasted 5 loving years building the Cybertruck, so all they have to sell this relatively small slice of the US auto consumer base are sedans. And American car buyers do not prefer sedans.

Tesla's incredibly high stock evaluation assumes exponential growth. If just slows to 'normal' levels, it's going to crash.

Edit: also no one has paid any attention to Tesla's CFO, who was essentially running the company, leaving. He was supposed to be the 'adult in the room' and Musk's eventual replacement. So either Musk ran him out because he made Elon look bad or he saw a real bad brick wall the company was hurtling towards.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 16, 2023

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Every electric car is already better than a Tesla, yet they sell, so???

Other automakers' EV's rank pretty badly in reliability. The F-150 Lightning somehow makes Fiats look good.

It's hard to compare Tesla quality to legacy automakers because it's not like people love dealing with any dealership service department.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Fiats are good.

The only thing Fiats are good at is burning all their oil and somehow still not exploding. Until they do.

Earwicker posted:

i went to my toyota dealership to get a headlight replaced and their computers were down so they just did it for free and also they have pretty good coffee

Toyotas don't count because they blow the curve for everyone else.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Imagine needing validation...as a White guy.

ben shapino posted:

we should take 10% off the top from Elon imo

Hey, he paid a lot of money for that hair!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's nice there's at least some public backlash. We all view Musk as White Power Bill, but his reputation amongst very not online people is still largely intact.

Also all automakers are down today, but hey Tesla is down a whole extra percent.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The slavery ancestry thing is probably technically true. If you go back into anyone’s lineage a few thousand years there are probably going to be conquered classical people, medieval serfs, and indentured servants in there. It’s intentionally misleading because chattel slavery as it was practiced in the the americas was a uniquely horrific institution that’s not really comparable to most historical slavery though.

That's what's frustrating. He's deliberately trying to downplay American slavery because since it existed everywhere at every time, the US wasn't so bad.

We need to rebrand chattel slavery as American Exceptionalism. We were the best at being the worst. USA USA USA!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It takes a leap of faith to go from an ICE vehicle to an EV and since most EVs are small(ish), they're going to appeal to a smaller slice of consumers. Fortunately for Tesla, there's been a backlog of those consumers, but it's still a small proportion compared to ICE purchasers.

Legacy automakers are already hitting that EV limit, so the question is whether Tesla will too. If that happens, Tesla might start being priced like a regular automaker instead of priced like an internet startup with limitless growth prospects.

And is Tesla was priced like Toyota, Musk's $240b fortune would become a $24b fortune. That's a worst case scenario, because if it happens he's actually got a $0 fortune because of Twitter.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

staberind posted:

Its kinda interesting thinking through all the large differences between a regular ICE vehicle and a ground up designed for electric car.

Looking at a friend’s Rivian, I made a joke about the windshield washer fluid cap (the only thing in the frunk that looked like an ICE vehicle) and he said that’s the only liquid in the truck.

It probably still has brake fluid and freon though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

EVs have coolant reservoirs for the batteries as well as oil for the motors. They're just not user-serviceable.

User serviceable is probably what my friend meant. Not sure how they do brake fluid (probably accessed under the frunk).

I followed him on some trails. Me banging my nuts on solid axles and him barely feeling anything with his air suspension.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
@420hitlereveryday: If you think about it, Jews were the original bots.

@elonmusk: Exactly

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
BRB, throwing my Selectric typewriter out a window.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

"Thermonuclear Lawsuit"

I’m sure Media Matters is shaking in their boots and correctly facing cowboy hats.

Musk’s lawyers are going to mention ‘discovery’ and Elon will scurry away like he’s facing Zuck in an octagon.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

I've brought it up a few times in the spaceflight thread, but they actually have largely taken away the DIB apparatus within SpaceX from Elon

What is DIB (I goggled it but couldn’t find anything)?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
We can’t even fly people to Mars without exposing them to lethal doses of radiation. You’re okay in Earth orbit because of our magnetic field.

I’m sure they’ll figure something out, but it’s not an easy technological fix. I guess one trick might be to encase the crew areas in a layer of water, which is another reason we need bases on the moon because you can’t launch that much water into space.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The Swedish Musician Union is in on the action? I mean good for them but how, exactly?

I think it’s sympathy striking.

Which is bad for Musk, because as the most divorced man who has ever existed, he now can’t buy the Divorce Man’s starter kit of IKEA furniture.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Edmund Sparkler posted:

I still have no idea what these people riding Elon's dick are trying to say. That Media Matters made accounts and then followed Nazi content and then documented that big name advertisers were having their ads displayed next to that content? And that Media Matters is in big trouble for showing this fact?

They're doing such a piss poor job of explaining what it is they're even mad about.

They have no defense against the content so they’re trying to discredit the methodology. Which doesn’t really work, but it’s not like South Africa sent us their best and brightest.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Dang. Musk doubling down on the Nazi poo poo may start having consequences at Tesla if he keeps this up.

He could have nerfed all of this last week with some milquetoast non-apology apology, but instead he hits the horse tranq and tweets, “interesting” to the Final Solution.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So what's the point then? Are they hoping random X users contribute to Elon's GoFundMe or do they think advertisers will see this spontaneous show of support and flood back onto the platform? It almost seems like a bunch of Nazis got FOMO and dived in without thinking how badly this is going to end.

And is that White dating app ad real? Is there zero quality control on X ads (rhetorical question, I know).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Tesla famously doesn’t advertise. Kind of curious if Musk tries to force a deal with X. Didn’t he make SpaceX buy ad space early in his Twitter acquisition?

That probably wouldn’t get the board to turn on him, but it would 100% make the SEC’s ears perk up.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Further Reading posted:

The white house letter refers to his tweet saying an antisemitic conspiracy theory is "the absolute truth" explicitly.

I think IBM mentioned ads, but anyone else I saw give a message with more context cited the promotion of such content rather than their ads being next to such content. I think Elon is trying to shift the narrative to scapegoat Media Matters, or he's so dumb/egotistical he doesn't comprehend that it's his fault.

Yeah, Musk games the algorithm to promote his own tweets and then likes or replies to Nazi poo poo, which promotes the content.

He knows that, but more importantly the Nazis know that. A Musk reply is like Christmas Day to them.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I like how it's ONLY revenue associated with the Gazan war. If you post JEWS ALL DIE next to a Target ad, X gets that ad revenue. But posts that say KILL ALL GAZANS, get their revenue split between the Red Cross and Red Crescent.

But didn't he also turn off all advertising after filing that lawsuit?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Even with all his layoffs, X still needs to make about $6 million dollars a day. Musk *might* be making $10 million a month with his Blue Checks.

We'll know poo poo is bad if he sells another chunk of his Tesla shares to keep this X shaped dumpster fire running.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

mannerup posted:

that figure seems so wild to me, is that all the staff/hosting/etc costs put together as they currently exist or the bare minimum burn rate to keep the lights on? not my field of expertise so I have no idea what the base cost to keep a company like Twitter/X running

Bandwidth, data centers, service contracts all add up. And everything *should* be redundant, so those costs get doubled.

He saved a few billion laying off 6k employees, but also ruined a $5 billion dollar yearly ad revenue stream.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean these people think dead end actors from the 80s and 90s are cool and then start shrieking when taylor swift regesters a ton of zoomers and older alphas to vote. the dems have plenty of issues with Youth engagement and such but the GOP activly shits on them so stupidly hard its not even funny. they have burned a bunch of bridges with U30 folks. Musk has inroads with weird sad technocrat types and weird /pol/ types

And yet polling says Zoomers are preferring Trump to Biden. So either young people want to see the world burn (probable) or polling is completely broken.

I can't imagine a young person voting for the side that's actively taking away rights they're most likely to want, but hey it's 2023 so...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I swear I can feel every fiber of his desolation and isolation when Musk replies "yeah". That's what you type on the down side of a ketamine macrodose.

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Cite your sources

It was one of those doom and gloom articles about 2024. I think half of this is the media trying to prop Trump up because a close race means lots more campaign ad spending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yesterday a Tesla flew 50 feet over a pool and smashed into someone's kitchen in California.

Did Musk push out a self aware OS patch?